MSI R6950 2GB Twin Frozr III/oc or MSI R6970 2GB Lightning??????

rahulbalmuri

ωιтн gяєαт gяαρнι¢ѕ......
I have this rig now...

ASUS P8Z68-V
Intel COre i5 2500k
CM ELITE 430
CM GX550w PSU
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
BEnq 22" LED Monitor
LG DVD-RW
Corsair Vengeance 4gb*2

I'm luking to buy a GFX card soon/.... budget is not the issue b/w these cards... i wanna buy the best one...

MSI R6950 2GB Twin Frozr III/oc or MSI R6970 2GB Lightning??????

Suggest the best////

tkin

Back to school!!
No idea about fitting, as lightning card pcbs are not that long but the cooler is, so 6950 TFIII is also long, if fits both will, or neither will.

But 6970 lightning is more powerful than 6950 TFIII any day.

Cilus

laborare est orare
It will fit easily, Elite 430 can fit even a Crossfire of HD 5970. But my question is IS GX550 is enough to handle a HD 6970 ?

tkin

Back to school!!
It will fit easily, Elite 430 can fit even a Crossfire of HD 5970. But my question is IS GX550 is enough to handle a HD 6970 ?
Most probably, but it'll be dangerously underpowered, and also Cooler master does make cr@p psus as I had seen reviews except pricey silent pro type models.

OP
rahulbalmuri

rahulbalmuri

Most probably, but it'll be dangerously underpowered, and also Cooler master does make cr@p psus as I had seen reviews except pricey silent pro type models.

YEah no problem.... my friend is using this card i.e MSI 6970 lightning... with GX550W and the same rig of mine... he has no issues under 100% load too.... but i've read some reviews that 6950 can be OC'ed to 6970 true?????

sukesh1090

Adam young
^^if budget is not an issue then why you buy 6950 and oc to get the performance of 6970?you better buy 6970 and oc it to get more performance:-D

tkin

Back to school!!
YEah no problem.... my friend is using this card i.e MSI 6970 lightning... with GX550W and the same rig of mine... he has no issues under 100% load too.... but i've read some reviews that 6950 can be OC'ed to 6970 true?????
It can be unlocked in some cases but too risky and success is not guaranteed, just oc'ing alone won't reach there, only way to match 6970 is to unlock the shaders with a bios mod, plus 6970 Lightning comes with a god like oc on it(950Mhz on the core). If you can, get the 6970 Lightning and oc to 1GHz core and enjoy games like they are meant to.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
No way we would suggest you to use CM GX550. Also tell your friend to change his PSU.

Piyush had to get his GX550 replaced three times and he wasn't even using a discrete graphic card. The choice is yours.

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
19k on gpu and like 2k on psu ? come on dude...

if its already blown 3 times, its not worth the risk.. even if its cost 7k, it behaves like a 2k psu.

OP
rahulbalmuri

rahulbalmuri

lets say like this... if i buy an additional

Corsair Builder Series 430W Power Supply (CMPSU-430CX) @ 2.4k (only for gfx card)
only to power the 6970 LIghtning.... i'm talking about two PSU's here....and CM GX550W for my other compo's???

Wat say????

Also tell me..... as i bought this rig recently.... i can get exchange this PSU for another one by adding few more bucks?... suggest me which one i should get...

rchi84

In the zone
Why combine two PSUs when you can get one high quality high capacity PSU and be done with any worries about system stability?

Top Bottom