Moving the Documents and Settings folder...

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestrategist

Gamer Forever!
This months (May, 2006) Digit tells us how to move shell folders (including the Documents and Settings folder) to a new location... I tried moving the D&S folder, but I was unable to... I got a dialog box saying that it is a system folder and could not be moved. Is there a registry tweak or any other way to move it?

Hello Friend, Read the Article Properly in Detail. Its Working for me. Do Step by Step process as mentioned in the Digit Book. Try it by changing the Properties of the File or a Directory.

With Regards,
R.Bhuvaneshbabu
rbhuvaneshbabu@yahoo.com

go4saket

If I am not wrong, what the article said was to move the My Documents folder and not the D&S folder. Check the article again and correct me if I am wrong...

OP
T

thestrategist

Gamer Forever!
Quoting from page 68... top right corner... the paragraph beginning there... "To move other special folders to a new location, right-drag the folder to its desired location and select "Move Here". Note that you will need to move the Documents and Settings folder to another partition as well if you wish, at some point of time, to reinstall windows xp without losing a program's data." So.... would somebody please help me......

Last edited:
OP
T

thestrategist

Gamer Forever!
To specify a different folder for the entire "Documents and Settings" folder, including
key system components, follow these steps:
1. Log on to the computer as an administrator.
2. Create a new folder.
3. Open the current "Documents and Settings" folder.
4. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
5. Under Advanced settings click Show hidden files and folders, and then click to
clear the Hide file extensions for known file types and Hide protected operating
system files check boxes.
6. Click OK.
7. Click and drag to copy all the folders to the new folder, except for the currently
logged on users folder.
8. In Control Panel, double-click System, and then click the User Profiles tab.
9. Copy the current user's profile to the new folder.

I got d above frm a forum member....... Can some1 plz check if dis works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom