Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
MI2 for me was worst, even with few good action scenes, but over it was the weakest, John Woo couldn't materialize his forte here. There was no tension, character development was poor. I am surprised you kept 1 and 2 in the same bracket, since for me 1 is at the top and 2 is at last ... :)
Subjective opinions I guess,take the "impossible act" in each movie for example.1st part was unique,2nd was not so unique but from that 3rd part onward it is like "bigger the better"(kinda like hollywood godzilla which keeps getting bigger). 3rd part has "taller building",4th part has "even taller(in fact tallest) building" & then 5th part has "water building" because well they run out of taller buildings by then.:)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Aquaman - 7/10

Good action sequences, cutting edge visual effects. However, despite being a 2+ hour movie, the pacing still felt a bit too fast for my taste. Though as far as origin stories go, it's better to be medium to fast-paced than to be a slow slugfest with nothing significant happening for half the movie. In this regard, the story pacing is okay.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is a must watch. Story, Animation, Humor and Background music blend together seamlessly. Don't miss the post-credit scene. I rate it 9/10.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
The Little Stranger (2018) -It is a crafted piece of film though a dark horror/thriller put together to tell a story of a man Dr. Faraday who yearns to live in a part of society he can never truly be a part of. If you watch this film with that thought in mind, you'll understand it better.

A Dry White Season (1989) -The film really belongs to star Donald Sutherland though and I think it a pity he wasn't given any Oscar nomination for this fine film with an eternal message about freedom. It is a film which will stay with you. The plot follows a white South African on an adventure through bewilderment, revelation, denial, disgust, and a futile attempt to fight a grossly unfair system. It showcases the apartheid movement in a fine light.

Season of the Witch (1972) -A thoughtful character study with supernatural tinges, misleading marketed as a straightforward horror film due to Romero's reputation, this film raises more questions than it can answer but is involving despite its leisurely pace. Certainly a more honest confrontation of suburban anomie than the likes of American Beauty, anyway, it boasts a well-modulated lead performance from Jan White, as well as arresting dream sequences and an overall well-sustained quiet tension throughout.

The Guilty (2018) -This tense, tight movie takes place entirely at a 911 emergency call center, and almost all of the time, we see only the police officer talking on the phone.
As the main story unfolds, we get to know the people on the other end of the line and care about them. Given that we never see them, that is impressive, too. And we learn a lot about the our main character -- almost as much as he learns about himself.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought so as well....so wonderwomen remains the best DCU as of now..:)
It seems so & quite frankly I am not surprised.Origin stories of DC usually are not as "gripping" as Marvel(especially for their lead characters,of course excl. the main one "superman" because that entirely depends on story/director). Only exception to this I consider is Batman but then I don't think anyone is going to surpass Nolan in that regard for a long time to come. Wonderwoman was a success because of its storyline(which was deviated from its usual origins) & direction,don't think these 2 factors will come again together for any other DC movie so soon.

ashs1

Padawan
Better than wonderwonen?
One dept. Where wonderwoman scored was emotion. The chemistry between the lead pair was awesome. Apart from that, I felt Aquaman was almost at par with wonderwoman.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 Pro using Tapatalk

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Aquaman 7/10 (Additional +1 for Lead cast)

IMO, this was the right movie to come out now. DECU or MARVEL, none had done an under water superhero movie yet. So, no benchmark, no comparison.
James wan had full freedom to imagine and create a never before seen world under water. And, he marvelled in that.

A bit long, should have been short.
Action is good and in right amount.
Need to work on jokes though. Some are just bad.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
It seems so & quite frankly I am not surprised.Origin stories of DC usually are not as "gripping" as Marvel(especially for their lead characters,of course excl. the main one "superman" because that entirely depends on story/director). Only exception to this I consider is Batman but then I don't think anyone is going to surpass Nolan in that regard for a long time to come. Wonderwoman was a success because of its storyline(which was deviated from its usual origins) & direction,don't think these 2 factors will come again together for any other DC movie so soon.

yes I concur with you, however Nohlan's Batman, atleast I....... do not consider as DCU, sure the character is from DC comic, but the movie itself does not belong to the DC Universe so, anyhow that makes it an exception. I have not seen Aquaman yet and wont be able to in theaters for reasons, but I will on my HT sooner or later. Will share my views and comparision then .. :)

ashs1

Padawan
Mowgli (2018) - This is the one from Netflix..and it was an average experience. TBH, this story is re-told so many times that it's difficult to provide something new. The acting looks a bit off from the lead actor. Has a great cast - Christian Bale, Andy Serkis, Benedict Cumberbatch, Cate Blanchett but despite such a lineup, this movie fails to impress.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 Pro using Tapatalk

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
The spy who dumped me 5/10

Good one liners can't save a movie (Exception: Deadpool) always.
Watch if you are in the mood of a light movie and have no other expectation.

Top Bottom