Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^zik zik zik zik zik zik zik zik zik zik zik zik zik zik zik zik zik zik zik zik zik zik zik zik zik zik zik zik zik zik zik

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ravaan for me was not only one of the worst movie of mani, but one of my all time worst movie. It was so bad it made "kites" a masterpiece in comparison. Is cinematography the only thing, and if projecting ash in all vulnerable angles is cinematography then the director did succeed, and that is what he did in almost 70% of the movie. But unfortunately, I was not interested to see ash flesh. And script, this is what you call great script,.....a deadly jungle killer, terror in all aspects, and at no point of time you feel any sort of scare for any character, forget to relate with them, infact it becomes a laughing stock almost all the way. And oh I forgot, though he is a terror and a killer he has got a good idotic reason behind it, and not to forgot, he is the hero, so even though he has killed and is a terror , is some kind of messiah for the local village ....... oh man how very original ......and ash, an educated civilized lady, out of some kind of uncanny respect falls for him, another brilliant originality .......if this is what you call a great script then ..... I'd better not say anymore .......... crap performances, no sense in the plot what so ever and absolutely no depth in the any situation portrayed. Any way as ones say opinion differs, but this much ....... well I guess I have to agree, yes, this much as well ......... :)

2/10 is what I gave to this movie some pages back ......

The ONLY thing that goes in favor of the movie is Santosh Sivam camera work which makes the jungle some visual extravaganza ....
I agree with this.

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Ravaan for me was not only one of the worst movie of mani, but one of my all time worst movie. It was so bad it made "kites" a masterpiece in comparison. Is cinematography the only thing, and if projecting ash in all vulnerable angles is cinematography then the director did succeed, and that is what he did in almost 70% of the movie. But unfortunately, I was not interested to see ash flesh. And script, this is what you call great script,.....a deadly jungle killer, terror in all aspects, and at no point of time you feel any sort of scare for any character, forget to relate with them, infact it becomes a laughing stock almost all the way. And oh I forgot, though he is a terror and a killer he has got a good idotic reason behind it, and not to forgot, he is the hero, so even though he has killed and is a terror , is some kind of messiah for the local village ....... oh man how very original ......and ash, an educated civilized lady, out of some kind of uncanny respect falls for him, another brilliant originality .......if this is what you call a great script then ..... I'd better not say anymore .......... crap performances, no sense in the plot what so ever and absolutely no depth in the any situation portrayed. Any way as ones say opinion differs, but this much ....... well I guess I have to agree, yes, this much as well ......... :)

2/10 is what I gave to this movie some pages back ......

The ONLY thing that goes in favor of the movie is Santosh Sivam camera work which makes the jungle some visual extravaganza ....

It's actually the reviews like these (including yours back in this forum) which made me decide not watch it. Its just that I happened to watch it due to forced circumstances and I was pleasantly surprised. Well Sam, its not that bad as you have projected. Maybe you have reviewed it worse than Raja Sen usually does. But then again, its the area in our hypothalamus(brain) which makes us like or dislike things according to the inputs. Our hypothalami responded quite differently on this one. The way you have described the script and added crap to it at the end can be done to any movie in this world. Just by adding the word crap at the end doesn't make it bad. Maybe you had a bad argument with your wife that day before watching movie. Something must have hampered your mood.

I still highly recommend it.

ajayritik

Technomancer
^^I liked the tamil version Of Ravan(Ravanan). Movie may not have been great but was a decent watch especially performance of Vikram. Avoided the hindi version as many suggested it wasn't good.

Last edited:

a_medico

Chillum Baba
I agree mood sometimes reflect what you do, but I am a movie freak, been writing movie reviews on loads of forums (except here ironically), people more or less do agree with my review, and if I start writing them under the influence of mood, they will spurn my recommendations.

Most of the times, I too agree with you. And I do watch many of your recommendations.

I do not put crap just for the heck of it my friend ......... Take "n" random movie out here posted by me and see for how many of them I have used Crap to describe them.(none or may be 1 or 2 if I remember correctly)

And that's what surprised me when you used rating of '2' for Raavan.

~*~

Spoiler alert!

@rhitwick - I remember you posting the review but I avoided reading it that time as it had spoilers. Glad you posted the link again.

Story : Well, if one can praise Omkara which is based on Othello or O, what's wrong in directing something based on Ramayana? Infact I quite liked this adaptation. It worked well for me.

Cinematography : Absolutely breathtaking.

Songs : Quite agree with you. The soundtrack doesn't grow on you like typical AR Rahmaan.

Abhishek : I thought the same about 'jhik jhik' thing. But then I just had a thought that its just his personality. He is struggling with 2 minds. One in favor of killing ash. Other against it. You get used to his character eventually, which worked well for me during the end twist.

Ash - She was OK. Nothing more than that. I thought something was seriously wrong with her voice. It was not her usual voice. Me be she should get her thyroid hormone levels checked! She looked good and all but the movie wasn't meant for her.

Vikram didn't have much scope in this version. Though I didn't find him irritating, which happens when most (not all) south indian actors try hard to speak hindi. They just don't fit. I'd seriously like to watch him play Veera in Tamil version. I usually don't watch Tamil movies but I wouldn't mind watching Ravanan again.

Nothing to comment about Govinda. Ravi Kishen was ok. And I was quite impressed by the sauteli sister of Abhishek in the cameo.

By the way, nice to see your review a bit on positive side. Liking or not is a different thing, but Sam's rating of 2 is kinda harsh. Even by his standards.

Last edited:

Rahim

Married!
Inception. Finally had the time to watch it and boy oh boy Nolan lived up to his expectation. He is only 40 and yet has made so many killer movies!!

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Despicable Me (2010) - IMDb 8/10

Nice animation movie but still lacks than "How to train your dragon". A feel good story and good laughs guaranteed.

Check out.

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Brothers - Watch it for strong performances by Tobey Maguire, Jake Gyllenhaal and Natalie Portman. Highly recommended.

Goten

Banned
Dont you guys watch Japanese, South Korean or Cantonese movies....Best in the genre of romance and horror and sometimes thriller.

Try movies like Sassy Girl(Romantic), 1 Missed Call(Horror), Old Boy(Thriller).....You guys are missing a whole new world and experience of cinema. Americans with their heroes and big budget movies are just big spenders who believe in whats big sells big.....LOL

I guess, I am the only so called chinki geek.

Hehehehehe.

Peace~~~!

abhidev

Human Spambot
Despicable Me (2010) - IMDb 8/10

Nice animation movie but still lacks than "How to train your dragon". A feel good story and good laughs guaranteed.

Check out.

Watched How to train your dragon.....was a good movies but not upto the expectation....well waiting for another spielberg movie "The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn "...my fav franchise

Rahim

Married!
Dont you guys watch Japanese, South Korean or Cantonese movies....Best in the genre of romance and horror and sometimes thriller.

Try movies like Sassy Girl(Romantic), 1 Missed Call(Horror), Old Boy(Thriller).....You guys are missing a whole new world and experience of cinema. Americans with their heroes and big budget movies are just big spenders who believe in whats big sells big.....LOL

Hehehehehe.

Peace~~~!
arey we have seen plenty of above movies and damn you are late!!
/me punches Gotem mildly :))

Search this thread and you will find plenty from T159/Rahim/Rhitwick etc.

Last edited:

Anish

Spectre
Here...Some of the best movies i ve seen.. Dont ever miss these

Gangs of newyork
Shutter Island
The Matrix series
The Aviator
Blood Diamond
The shawshank redemption
The Dark Knight
Good Fellas
The Departed
The Prestige
Memento
Inception
Lord of the Rings series
The Titanic
Pirates of the Caribbean series
Starwars series
The Hurt Locker
Law Abiding citizen
Inglorious *******s
A walk to remember

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

Hehehehehe.

Peace~~~!

late............

Peace~~~!

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth

Hehehehehe.

Peace~~~!
As already told by others.........LATE :D

hot zubs

live life king like...
Little Manhattan - 7/10
really a very good love story i have seen in my recent times...
it just reminded me of my first love :)

Jhootha Hi Sahi - 5/10
just a time pass movie

Last edited:

R2K

In the Zone
Watched 2 movies lately

Shaun of the dead. 9.5/10 -OMG one of the best comedy movie i saw lately...Is there any other similar british or hollywood movie like this one:grin:

Altitude-(3/10)
Movie is just a piece of crap really.....I couldn't understand wtf was happening at the end.....i am pretty sure that makers of this sh.t were smoking pot while making this crap.I am giving a rating of 3 just because it managed to create a little suspense at the middle but it was getting worse as it approached the ending

Last edited:
Top Bottom