Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
I've been hearing tons of praise about the Dark City from forums and critics and after watching the director's cut for the first time I honestly can't see how anybody thought it was greater than the Matrix. So much bad acting, poor editing and an unsatisfying ending to name a couple things. The cinematogrophy and elaborate sets weren't anything special either to be honest. The Matrix was just a much more satisfying and entertaining movie to me in every regard despite the fact that, yes, it was clearly inspired by Dark City (in fact I would go so far as to say that the Matrix guys saw Dark City and thought wow this movie could have been been sooooo much better, so lets make that better version). It's not that I didn't understand the philosophy and ideas behind the movie, it's just that I didn't think they were expressed well enough via the acting, the direction, the camera work, the editing, the cinematogrophy and even the plot itself (for instance the final telepathic showdown was pretty cheesy and seemed a little tacked on). The execution just wasn't that great in my opinion.

Well anyway, I would just like to know from the people who liked the film just why they liked it so much so that maybe I can like it better myself.

Thanks.

xbonez

NP : Crysis
Unknown : interesting plot *www.imdb.com/title/tt0450340/

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: movie is in swedish (or some other foreign language). watch with subtitles. *www.imdb.com/title/tt1132620/

abyss88

Broken In
abyss, seriously are you nuts? Reservoir Dogs for a family entertainer? It's extremely graphic with the famous ear-cutting scene, extremely explicit language and violence. How the hell is it a family entertainer? :shock::shock::shock:

oops..got it wrong:oops:..changed it...but the scene is tasty :lol:

"the good,the bad and the ugly" can be watched in family presence

Last edited:

Techn0crat

RPG FTW!!!
I've been hearing tons of praise about the Dark City from forums and critics and after watching the director's cut for the first time I honestly can't see how anybody thought it was greater than the Matrix. So much bad acting, poor editing and an unsatisfying ending to name a couple things. The cinematogrophy and elaborate sets weren't anything special either to be honest. The Matrix was just a much more satisfying and entertaining movie to me in every regard despite the fact that, yes, it was clearly inspired by Dark City (in fact I would go so far as to say that the Matrix guys saw Dark City and thought wow this movie could have been been sooooo much better, so lets make that better version). It's not that I didn't understand the philosophy and ideas behind the movie, it's just that I didn't think they were expressed well enough via the acting, the direction, the camera work, the editing, the cinematogrophy and even the plot itself (for instance the final telepathic showdown was pretty cheesy and seemed a little tacked on). The execution just wasn't that great in my opinion.

Well anyway, I would just like to know from the people who liked the film just why they liked it so much so that maybe I can like it better myself.

Thanks.
hey buddy,read my long post about both movies.both were released almost a year apart.So while Matrix was filming,Dark city could be in post-production or even in final phase of filming.Even Sanjay Gupta,Sanjay Gadhvi or David Dhavan make their rip-offs in duration of one year.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Doubt Matrix was inspired by a movie. It was too good to be an inspiration-of-another-film.

It is inspired by other concepts (which I have mentioned in my previous posts),but I doubt it followed Dark City.

Honestly I found Matrix 1 (only) to be tightly scripted, well paced, and decent direction, with a solid plot. But never did I find it complex and 'blown out of this world' concept and message delivery.

Krow

Crowman
Matrix is a film with worst sequels and hence I hate the franchise. Dark City is subtle and i love film-noir scifi and hence I like it more. Matrix is for when I feel the need to kick some a**, but dark city is when I really want some thinking and am in a reflective mood. Dark City can be compared to the genre of Blade Runner.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^ I can sit for a whole day..and talk about Blade Runner..and still be left with stuff to discuss..

:)
:)

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
A Fistful of Dynamites - 9/10. Awesome western!
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
The Outlaw Josey Wales too, 9.2/10. Another great western.

Last edited:

Techn0crat

RPG FTW!!!
Worst Sequels!!!, you haven't seen sequels then...... just because the 1st set a standard that can rarely be touched, does not mean it had worst sequels. There are far bad, sequels made than matrix.
If you take a look at horror genre(I don't watch them.),you will find plenty of movies which are considered as worst sequels.And let's not forget Pirates of Caribbean sequels. :D

Edward Scissorhands,
Dead Man,

Science of Sleep,
Gangs of New York,
Run Lola Run,

And here are some to watch with your GF.. :)
When Harry Met Sally,
You've got mail,
He's just not that into you,
Serendipity,
A Life Less Ordinary

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Red Cliff.

The original (subtitled) version in 2 parts.

Strategy..Strategy ...Strategy ....Strategy ....Strategy ..!

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
KRAMER vs KRAMER - 9/10 : Pretty solid drama built around human emotions!! Also awesome acting by Dustin Hoffman and Meryl Streep!!

Top Bottom