beingGamer

In the zone
Hi, i recently bought GTA V on steam.
and installed it in 'f:\steam\Grand Theft Auto V\'
I didnt know that steam creates separate folders for games in steamapps\common
so the problem is, when I install any new game, its installing in in below path
J:\Steam\Grand Theft Auto 5\steamapps\common

*i.imgur.com/C4nZxVO.png

So all I want to do is get rid of the 'Grand Theft Auto 5' folder or rename it to something else without requiring to redownload the games

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Copy paste the contents of J:\Steam\Grand Theft Auto 5\steamapps\common folder to steamapps\common folder

And change the default path for installation too.

OP
beingGamer

beingGamer

In the zone
Copy paste the contents of J:\Steam\Grand Theft Auto 5\steamapps\common folder to steamapps\common folder

And change the default path for installation too.

Steam cant find the games if i move it or rename the folder, i'll have to redownload everything again

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
^ Ok first copy them to any other folder, remove the games content within steam's interface, then copy them to the desired folder and hit install in steam. I'll auto detect the game content and proceed to download any updates.

You will need to change the installation destination to the default location first.

kamikaz

Ambassador of Buzz
DOnt copy paste make a backup of your copy , using steam backup and copy and then restore it to whatever folder you want, this is the failsafe method
moving folder has failed for me always ! , though i have tried only with dota

OP
beingGamer

beingGamer

In the zone
Thanks everyone for suggestions.
I have fixed it-
Steps:
1. Moved the steamapps folder to root (j:)
2. Deleted J:\Steam\Grand Theft Auto 5
3. Deleted all files and folders except Steam.exe and steamapps folder from D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam (steam installation folder)
4. Ran Steam.exe
5. It downloaded about 100MB files again and started
6. Selected Swipecart to test installation
7. Clicked Install & selected J: (J:\Steam\Grand Theft Auto 5 went away)
8. Now Created J:\Steam\[/b\] folder and moved steamapps folder from root to this
9. Selected J:\Steam\[/b\] as installation folder
10. VOILA ! :D all existing games got detected :cool:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Or simply you could have moved everything to new location and ran the steam.exe, it would have updated to the new location.

Top Bottom