deepak_ds

Broken In
I have a 17" Compaq 7540 CRT monitor. It has been a few days that our monitor is showing a really strange problem. Actually I am confused whether it is software problem or hardware problem.

So the problem is that the display setting menu of the monitor is automatically displayed sometimes and it automatically goes away too. Sometimes the display setting too are changed! Even when i was writing this, that same problem appeared.

Is it a software problem(like virus) or hardware problem...!!?? :?:confused:

saswat23

Human Spambot
AFAIK a software is not respnsible for Monitor's menu as it purelyu depends on the user. So, probably its some type of H/W prob.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
If you mean the monitor's own menu and not the OS's display settings menu, then the problem is probably a hardware issue. Some monitors display a message when the software setting is outside its sync range, for example when an LCD monitor is not set at its native resolution. But in this case, the problem is probably with the monitor itself.

Have you been having wet weather for some time? I've said this many times before in the forum: Electronic circuits are sensitive to moisture. Products that have been in use for months or years accumulate dust inside and the dust makes things worse because it retains the moisture. That can make strange things to happen and sometimes causes permanent damage.

If moisture is the culprit and if no permanent damage has been done, the solution is to clean and dry out everything inside. But opening a monitor is not a practicable option for the average end-user. What you can do is to leave it out in the sun for a long time - several hours at least. It should not be powered on during that time, of course.

OP
deepak_ds

deepak_ds

Broken In
If you mean the monitor's own menu and not the OS's display settings menu, then the problem is probably a hardware issue. Some monitors display a message when the software setting is outside its sync range, for example when an LCD monitor is not set at its native resolution. But in this case, the problem is probably with the monitor itself.

Have you been having wet weather for some time? I've said this many times before in the forum: Electronic circuits are sensitive to moisture. Products that have been in use for months or years accumulate dust inside and the dust makes things worse because it retains the moisture. That can make strange things to happen and sometimes causes permanent damage.

If moisture is the culprit and if no permanent damage has been done, the solution is to clean and dry out everything inside. But opening a monitor is not a practicable option for the average end-user. What you can do is to leave it out in the sun for a long time - several hours at least. It should not be powered on during that time, of course.

yeah :yeahright:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
5 years back I had a crt monitor which started same problem as you have stated here. Sadly except for opening everything there is no solution of it as crt monitor servicing is very rare. So just wait for your monitor to be completely dead (mine took 7 months or so) then buy new monitor.

gghjk

Right off the assembly line
Monitor problem arises due to continuous forcible shutdown from the UPS,due to pressure on CPU.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Monitor problem arises due to continuous forcible shutdown from the UPS,due to pressure on CPU.

What! :confused:
Could you explain that, in a more technical language??

@OP: Dude, the display menu of Monitor getting auto displayed at random times, could just also be the sign that Menu buttons on the Monitor are the culprit. Just get it checked from someone who knows a little hardware. Maybe just the dust, can be a reason.

OP
deepak_ds

deepak_ds

Broken In
@OP: Dude, the display menu of Monitor getting auto displayed at random times, could just also be the sign that Menu buttons on the Monitor are the culprit. Just get it checked from someone who knows a little hardware. Maybe just the dust, can be a reason.

Okay. I'll try this ASAP. Hope this works.

Top Bottom