Monitor display problem

Lord073

Journeyman
Hi, I woke up this morning, switched on my PC, everything was going well until suddenly my monitor's display went a bit dim & some kind of grain or something–sorry, don't know what to call it–showed up all over my screen. It's looks like, you know, a bad analog cable connection when there are grain or artifacts all over the picture. I tried restarting my PC a couple of times and unplugging it from the display driver & then connecting it again, but the problem persists. And yeah, the display also flickers occasionally, like it's adjusting the brightness or something. Sorry for my confusing description. If anybody actually knows what I am talking about , please do let me know.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Run any live linux distro as Live CD/USB... is the display stable?

Have you tried running the installed OS with only the Onboard graphics? Does the issue still occur.
Also try cleaning the graphics card slot and reinserting the card firmly and check again.

At what the point display went dim, during the booting (text screen or when loading OS graphical interface) or when you had a stable running system?

Gollum

Collector
Hi, I woke up this morning, switched on my PC, everything was going well until suddenly my monitor's display went a bit dim & some kind of grain or something–sorry, don't know what to call it–showed up all over my screen. It's looks like, you know, a bad analog cable connection when there are grain or artifacts all over the picture. I tried restarting my PC a couple of times and unplugging it from the display driver & then connecting it again, but the problem persists. And yeah, the display also flickers occasionally, like it's adjusting the brightness or something. Sorry for my confusing description. If anybody actually knows what I am talking about , please do let me know.

post a small video then or take a photo of it and post here.
If its vga cable, change it or ..

OP
Lord073

Lord073

Journeyman
@patkim

Okay, I'll do as you suggested when I find time & report back ASAP. Although I don't think it's related to the OS as it's present during the booting also, in the BIOS even. The problem is not permanent though, as it comes and goes.

@gollum

All right. Posted below are the video & the screenshot but I don't know whether it'll be of any help or not because the problem is not showing up in any of these. Weird.

View attachment 11847

[video]*3.lw5.videobam.com/download/3/videos/j/jf/jfnUk/encoded.mp4/74fe6a3a5666bec577ad63cab688fbb7/520e658a[/video]

Last edited:
OP
Lord073

Lord073

Journeyman
Run any live linux distro as Live CD/USB... is the display stable?

Have you tried running the installed OS with only the Onboard graphics? Does the issue still occur.
Also try cleaning the graphics card slot and reinserting the card firmly and check again.

At what the point display went dim, during the booting (text screen or when loading OS graphical interface) or when you had a stable running system?

Ran ubuntu. Display problem is still there.

Tried running OS with onboard graphics. Doesn't display nothing at all. Weird.

Cleaned the Graphics card slot and reinserted the card. Problem still there.

The first time the display went dim was when I had a stable running system. First it went dim and then some kind of grain appeared all over the display. I had this problem for 1-2 days and then it went away. I thought that it was temporary. But now it has returned and I think it's here to stay this time. Now sometimes my display goes off automatically although most of the time it comes back in a moment with a notification in the notification bar saying - "Display driver encountered a problem and has recovered". Now I don't know whatta do :confused:.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Keep the speakers away from the monitor. Some ripple-like pinkish patterns were appearing in my Acer LCD monitor.
I kept the speakers 2 1/2 feet away from monitor. My monitor problems were gone. It can also be due a Virus problem!!
In case of a Virus problem, perform a low-level format of the harddisk & reinstall the OS again. Sometimes even a low-level
format won't get rid of the virus. Then clear the CMOS Jumper Settings by shorting it. Password protect the BIOS.
Install the new harddisk & install the Windows OS. This should solve the problem.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah

The problem you mentioned results from Bad cable, Bad driver or previous uninstalled drivers being installed by its later version. You need to check your cable and make a clean uninstall of your previous GPU driver. The artifacts you mentioned is also the result of a failed or damaged GPU or PSU. Check with your components one by one to determine which one is causing the problem and later on the test the software as well.

OP
Lord073

Lord073

Journeyman
Keep the speakers away from the monitor. Some ripple-like pinkish patterns were appearing in my Acer LCD monitor.
I kept the speakers 2 1/2 feet away from monitor. My monitor problems were gone. It can also be due a Virus problem!!
In case of a Virus problem, perform a low-level format of the harddisk & reinstall the OS again. Sometimes even a low-level
format won't get rid of the virus. Then clear the CMOS Jumper Settings by shorting it. Password protect the BIOS.
Install the new harddisk & install the Windows OS. This should solve the problem.

Well, right now my cabinet is all opened up & it's a kind of a mess here. So, I am just using my monitor's inbuilt speakers & the external speakers are disconnected.
I did a high level format of my HDD approx a month ago & since then I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials which is always up-to-date. I just performed a full PC scan and it detected no viruses.
Shorting the CMOS doesn't help either.

The problem you mentioned results from Bad cable, Bad driver or previous uninstalled drivers being installed by its later version. You need to check your cable and make a clean uninstall of your previous GPU driver. The artifacts you mentioned is also the result of a failed or damaged GPU or PSU. Check with your components one by one to determine which one is causing the problem and later on the test the software as well.

I already tried a clean install of my GPU drivers but the problem persists.
By checking the cable, do you mean replacing it with another one and checking whether the problem is still there or not?
I have no idea how to diagnose a failed or damaged GPU/PSU. Could you please enlighten me on this issue.

The weird thing is that when I take a screenshot or make a video of the display (using Bandicam) while the problem is there, it doesn't show up in those.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Try running the GPU while using simple tasks like MS in built games, if it develops artifacts then your GPU is faulty.
As for the PSU is concerned try the other way around, like slowly remove one connector after another to find out which one is faulty. I mean which connector of the PSU can be determined.

You cannot take a screen shot or make a video when you are trying to find any fault in your PC. Literally it needs your GPU to work. I don't know actually but think so.

OP
Lord073

Lord073

Journeyman
All games run fine but the grain/horizontal lines/artifacts are always there regardless of what I am doing on my PC.
I will check for any fault in the PSU the way you suggested and report back ASAP.

Regarding the screenshot/video thing, what I actually meant was that I can take/make screenshot/video but the grain/horizontal lines/artifacts are not visible in those. It's like when a ghost stands in front of a mirror and cannot see it's own reflection LOL.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^It doesn't works like that buddy. For showing any fault in monitor, you have to click pic from an external source because the problem lies in hardware and a screenshot is of current statae of the OS i.e. software. So if it'd have been software fault, it must have showed up, but that isn't the case.

OP
Lord073

Lord073

Journeyman
^It doesn't works like that buddy. For showing any fault in monitor, you have to click pic from an external source because the problem lies in hardware and a screenshot is of current statae of the OS i.e. software. So if it'd have been software fault, it must have showed up, but that isn't the case.

Oh k. I got it now. I'm such a dumbo LOL. I should have known that. Well, actually I'm not that dumb but when something happens to my PC my brain stops functioning.
So I'll make a video using my phone the next time the problem occurs and post it here.

Last edited:
OP
Lord073

Lord073

Journeyman
Okay, since yesterday evening I've been running on integrated graphics after removing the discrete graphics card and I'm yet to encounter the display problem.
Is there any way to tell if this indicates a fault in my GPU or my PSU's incapability to handle the GPU's load combined with the other components?

Top Bottom