sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Can a modem/router be used to set up wifi connection without any additional hardware?

Which modem/router you are referring to? A wired or wireless? DSL or ADSL? Can you be more specific please.

If your ISP is using DSL then a basic wireless router would do. If your ISP is providing services via ADSL then you need a Wireless router with ADSL modem.

OP
D

devips

Broken In
It's a Compex ADSL modem/router that I use for my BSNL broadband connection. Can I create a wi-fi network just by using the functionalities of the modem/router? (i.e. without buying an additional wireless router?)
To note, I have a netgear wireless adapter too. Can this be of any use?

techiemaharaj

--> Techie - Maharaj
As u mention that you have a ADSL modem / router(I assumen it is modem+router), it will be enough to create a wireless network without any issues.
As far as the Netgear Wireless Adapter is concerned, this device will enable wifi internet of any of your pc / laptop that doesnt have an inbuilt wifi adapter.

So,you can configure wifi using your modem and use ur wireless adapter to use the wifi net on any pc/laptop.

hope that helps.

OP
D

devips

Broken In
I asked the local bsnl guys. They are not sure how to do it. There has to be some tutorial somewhere which explains the mechanism. Can somebody help?

OP
D

devips

Broken In
Saswat, they have not refused. They just don't know how to go about it.

@Whitestar - I have finally gone through the articles linked by you. It seems to me, from these articles at least, that one needs an additional wifi router to set up connectivity.
Have I missed something?

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
@OP
You have a wireless ADSL modem cum router or wired ADSL modem cum router? If it's the latter, then you need an additional wireless router.

Moreover all D-Link & Linksys routers these days are plug & play for most isp's. All you need to do is give the login credentials iirc.

OP
D

devips

Broken In
It's a wired adsl modem router. So probably I will need an additonal wifi router. I just thought, with the netgear wifi adapter that I already have, maybe it is possible to create a wireless network that my mobile and the laptop can connect to. Looks like it's no go.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
wireless router is very cheap now-a-days.this one in my opinion is a good option for tight budget:
TP LINK 150Mbps Wireless N Router | Router | Flipkart.com

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
It's a wired adsl modem router. So probably I will need an additonal wifi router. I just thought, with the netgear wifi adapter that I already have, maybe it is possible to create a wireless network that my mobile and the laptop can connect to. Looks like it's no go.

Try Connectify app.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
using connectify means person has to keep the pc/laptop on all the time for net access which is not suitable for long durations.it is only a temporary solution/stop gap measure.in the end a wireless router is the only permanent solution for such situations.

Top Bottom