Mobile Phone in budget below 24K INR - OMNIA2 Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ganeshkumar

Padawan
Hi All.. :)

I am planning to get a mobile for my brother, My requirements as below,

Budget: <24K INR
Camera: Should be a descent one (atleast 5 MP) (If Flash, it will be great)
Screen: Larger size >3" prefered
Must Haves: GPS, Wifi, 3G

I have shortlisted following mobiles,

• Samsung Omnia 2 - Can any1 confirm whether its price will be ~24K
  • Samsung Jet S8000
  • Samsung Omnia Pro B7610
  • HTC Touch2 - (Is it arnd 22k?)
  • N97 Mini
  • Sony Ericsson Aino (I like only its camera, nothing else)
  • Any other option for me?
I have a feel to go for samsung Omnia 2. I suppose, it comes with 8GB internal memory. I observe Jet S8000 and omnia is same except its display size and memory. Is it worth 5k~ price difference ???

Can we rely on samsung?? 2 years back, one of my frnds samsung mobile had worst call quality problem!

I had interest with HTC initially, but I dont see touch2 worth for it. :( Even HTC tatoo 15Krs., is better priced.

I will be buying the mobile probably January 15~ 2010.

Thanksss :)

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Nokia N80
The Nokia N80 is a multimedia 3G smartphone made by Nokia with support for high-speed UMTS/WCDMA connections,Features include
1.3.0MP camera with built-in flash
2.Bluetooth
3.Digital music player functionality
4.Mini SD memory card slot.
Because of its memory card and relatively large screen, it can function as a portable media player.

Whaat a Crap....:hammer:

OP
Ganeshkumar

Ganeshkumar

Padawan
Thanks Azzu and Karan... :)

I like the build of HTC Touch2.. But isnt it over priced? or Samsung, value for money?

Omnia 2 Vs Touch 2
OMLED | TFT
480 x 800, | 240 x 320
3.7" | 2.8"
2,3 sensors | nil (I think)
5MP with led flash | 3MP
800MHz | 528 MHz
1500mAh | 1000mAh

What you think guys?

Others... As a mobile samsung can be dependent?
How is service of them?

@Others....
pls pour your thoughts... :)

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

Nokia N80
The Nokia N80 is a multimedia 3G smartphone made by Nokia with support for high-speed UMTS/WCDMA connections,Features include
1.3.0MP camera with built-in flash
2.Bluetooth
3.Digital music player functionality
4.Mini SD memory card slot.
Because of its memory card and relatively large screen, it can function as a portable media player.

Hey u r trying to say N85 or any other... ? :shock:

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
Touch 2 only coz u will get xda-developer support to solve every problem u arise...

for Remaining all Samsung Omnia 2 is better

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
@Ganesh,
My experience with Samsung is quite better.
The very first model was N620 then, D800 i guess. Both are quite outdated models. However, they served best during period. As of now, i am using Samsung GT i-8910HD aka Omnia HD with 16GB + 8GB Micro SDHC. For service here in NCR, its quite commendable. Samsung is providing firmware updates to all Omnia II and HD owners for free within 1yr of span.
See, Omnia II is good, considering you are ok with Win MO. HTC Touch is always an good option. However, Samsung Omnia II has better specs and performance. Besides, there is always room for customizations(HTC UI ;)) and hacks!
Btw, i got Omnia HD for 25.5K. IMO, contact your nearest dealers for latest price updates. If its possible, why dont you go for HD?? :D

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I like the build of HTC Touch2.. But isnt it over priced? or Samsung, value for money?

Omnia 2 Vs Touch 2
OMLED | TFT
480 x 800, | 240 x 320
3.7" | 2.8"
2,3 sensors | nil (I think)
5MP with led flash | 3MP
800MHz | 528 MHz
1500mAh | 1000mAh

What you think guys?
if u want camera go for Omnia 2 other the UI of HTC Touch 2 in awesome....:p

Hey u r trying to say N85 or any other... ? :shock:

Nokia N85 is a flop....device :sad:

OP
Ganeshkumar

Ganeshkumar

Padawan
@mayanksharma,

That sounds good. :)

No, infact my budget is 20K but extending as I like Omnia2 for its VFM. I could not extend more :(

@karan

So going for HTC just for that UI.. is not a fair deal..

I already got HTC touch 3452 for my father. I like it. But not worth for such a price difference. :D (I got it the first few days of its launch :D)

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

@sujoyp,

Yes.. I think even Omnia 2 will get some place in that forum. :)

deepakchan

Troubleshooter
Of course where there is a will there is a way. I am sure Samsung Omnia 2 buyers are not the completely stock condition users. There will definitely be some people who mod Samsung phones as well like the htc ones, htc is more prominent cos it has the first mover advantage in the winmo smartphone segment. So in my opinion, the specs of Omnia 2 being so much better than the touch2, you can safely go for the Omnia 2. I'm sure people on this thinkdigit forum itself would help you out a lot in a lot of queries which does not require direct interaction with the phone.

Tamoghno

Padawan
just a word of caution . no matter what the megapixel count is , all HTC cameras are next to CRAP (at least compared to nokia/samsung).

N97 mini and omnia HD are pretty good phones . IMO , nokia provides better support for their phone . samsung realeases so many phones they stop giving firmware updates within a year. (compare N97 vs omnia HD etc). also winmo mobiles i've tried struggles to last a full day with moderate internet usage.

Unless your brother is heavily into modding /xda-forums , i dont see the point of buying a winmo device.

OP
Ganeshkumar

Ganeshkumar

Padawan
Of course where there is a will there is a way. I am sure Samsung Omnia 2 buyers are not the completely stock condition users. There will definitely be some people who mod Samsung phones as well like the htc ones, htc is more prominent cos it has the first mover advantage in the winmo smartphone segment. So in my opinion, the specs of Omnia 2 being so much better than the touch2, you can safely go for the Omnia 2. I'm sure people on this thinkdigit forum itself would help you out a lot in a lot of queries which does not require direct interaction with the phone.
Hey Deepak, Thanks!

just a word of caution . no matter what the megapixel count is , all HTC cameras are next to CRAP (at least compared to nokia/samsung).

N97 mini and omnia HD are pretty good phones . IMO , nokia provides better support for their phone . samsung realeases so many phones they stop giving firmware updates within a year. (compare N97 vs omnia HD etc). also winmo mobiles i've tried struggles to last a full day with moderate internet usage.

Unless your brother is heavily into modding /xda-forums , i dont see the point of buying a winmo device.
No he is not into modding.. But I may try few little things :D

Why I am prefering a good OS is for better connectivity with PC!! I can sync to Outlook and Also I need a descent mobile office.

What are you planning to do with the phone?
Use it as a phone,
Camera,
Audio/Video player,
Browsing,
GPS Device,
Check Emails,....

I would suggest N97 Mini.
Ahhh G5 always Nokian... :D
G5, compare the specification with Omnia 2.. almost both same price!!
I need to go for N97 mini really??? :shock:

Tamoghno

Padawan
Hey Deepak, Thanks!

since both phone are not on same platform , you shouldn't judge them by raw tech spec. Omnia2 will be more suited for hardcore geeks for its modding capability while N97 is more suited for normal people. Use it as a phone, = Nokia , obviously. Camera = N97 Audio/Video player, =audio N97(upto 48GB)/ video= Omnia Browsing = N97 GPS Device, = Not sure. but default ovi maps is great and works offline. Check Emails = Nokia (for nokia messaging ) Also N97 is receiving updates like crazy and is completely new phone after v20. i believe nokia will support N97 far longer than samsung.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
If you dont need smartphone, the Aino is a good bet. It has the most amazing sound quality and the cam is pretty good too. Also, it has push email, wifi, ps3 remote play and everything you need from a phone. It has wisepilot installed for turn by turn navigation too..
If you need a smartphone, I suggest you get the HTC hero.

chokhu

Broken In
Hey Ganeshkumar,
Did u buy Omnia 2 or not? If yes, then try to write some review if possible. I m also thinking of buying this phone.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect

I have already compared the two. No doubt Omnia 2 isn't a good phone but I suggested N97 Mini coz I too agree with Tamoghno.

OP
Ganeshkumar

Ganeshkumar

Padawan
Hey Ganeshkumar,
Did u buy Omnia 2 or not? If yes, then try to write some review if possible. I m also thinking of buying this phone.
Choku,
No I am planning to buy mobile in Jan 2nd week or so.

U too update, if u have any info of ur purchase plans. :)

It seems still omnia2 has not been released in 'The Mobile Store', Univercell and wavetel shops in chennai.

I have already compared the two. No doubt Omnia 2 isn't a good phone but I suggested N97 Mini coz I too agree with Tamoghno.

yeah... I understand.. :)
I like the N97 mini as a phone. I am inclined more towards Omnia2 for its multimedia features.

Last edited:

chokhu

Broken In
@ganeshkumar,
I m also planning 2 get mobile in JAN. I m also planing for omnia2, but not hv enough budget so hv to wait till next salary.
I hv also checked THE MOBILE STORE, but they dont hv JET also n they dont know abt omnia 2. So have to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom