Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
gary4gar said:
then you should be able to install:eek: but if its a desktop cd then i don't think so as the FileSystem is different. I hope you download the alternate cd

GRRRRRR...why u didn't tell this to me before. I downloaded 700 MB Kubuntu desktop CD, I could have downloaded Linux Mint KDE edition isntead.

i m sticking to Gnome as long as it doesn't crashes.

Hey guys, tell me how to increse the performance of my Linux Desktop like kernel switches, swap reduction etc. The speed right now is same as Vista

Now another problem. Every time i boot into Linux, my desktop resolution is automatically set at 1280X960, I need to change it, log out & relogin for it to work at 1024X768

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
Make sure ur easy with permissions,user management etc before compiling a kernel.
U have to apt-get install linux-source-2.6.23(latest) or available option.then have to extract source in /usr/src/ dir.then for old kernels we have to make a symlink called linux as /usr/src/linux for /usr/src/linux-version.for new kernels this is not a must.
for "special features" u have to recompile a kernel from source.u can select the processor optimization,CFS,RAM,sound,graphics and many other things.also removing unwanted drivers hence making the kernel lean and clean.make-kpkg in Debian/Ubuntu makes it further more easier.head to
*howtoforge.com for kernel compiling methods and in Ubuntu,choose the debian way of kernel compiling.with a custom kernel ur system will be faster.and with desktop performance enhancement patches applied to kernel source for eg like from Con Kolivas(upto 2.6.22) and others u will get very fast booting.also compiling each software for ur arch doesnot yield any big changes(like in Gentoo),kernel recompiled=easy. :)

for resltn,did u try in system>prefrncs>screenresolution?fix it with ur resolution.and if it doesnt work edit as "sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf" and go to section "Screen" and remove unwanted resolutions.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Will try compiling the kernel using some tutorials on the net.

praka123 said:
for resltn,did u try in system>prefrncs>screenresolution?fix it with ur resolution.and if it doesnt work edit as "sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf" and go to section "Screen" and remove unwanted resolutions.

My resolution is detected, just that everytime i boot it's automatically set to 1280X960 & I have to go & change in graphics settings & change to 1024X768 & then relogin

praka123

left this forum longback
^that's why remove every other resolution except 1024x768 in the section screen in xorg.conf.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
1 more thing...I just burned a Data DVD of heroes season 2 using GNome baker. I changed the name but still it took "Gnomebaker data" as name, ok fine...this can be accepted but when I tried the DVD in Windows, it had an Autorun Entry :-| "Install program" Wth....when did I do this? GNome baker took 17 mins to burn 4.3 GB Data without verification.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
While GnomeBaker is good - K3B is a far superior CD/DVD burning application. Doesnt require whole of kde to be installed. Just needs kdelibs to be present.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Well...GNomebaker didn't do it for me, I m using NeroLinux now for 30 days.

I recompiled the kernel using kalpik's method. Took me 3 hrs to download 109 MB, then show KConfig to me from which I selected what to compile or include in kernel , then after recompiling it I had to reinstall ENvy (i used the cache) but the monitor resolution problem is still there...

I didn't find much of speed increse this way. Next up is to tell LInux to use my 1.5 GB RAM & not Swap file, how do I do this?

Vista's method of optimising the OS according to the hardware is better.

Last edited:

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Monitor resolution is in no way related to the kernel! Google for xorg modelines to set custom resolutions. Also you can try "sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg"

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Kalpik

I will post my config file here, & my hardware config too...then u tell me, right now i m on windows so can't do.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
^^^^^
why don't you use this tool, by this you can extract all files under the linux partions, so no need to reboot just for getting config files;)

Explore2fs

Explore2fs is a GUI explorer tool for accessing ext2 and ext3 filesystems. It runs under all versions of Windows and can read almost any ext2 and ext3 filesystem.

Home Page | Download(380kb)

gx_saurav said:
GRRRRRR...why u didn't tell this to me before. I downloaded 700 MB Kubuntu desktop CD, I could have downloaded Linux Mint KDE edition isntead.
well you must have asked it, also to install KDE apps just some odd kdelibs are needed there is no need to install kde as whole, also multiple Desktop envirments can be used on a same install

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I've edited the xorg.conf file for you. Just backup your old file and replace it with this file. I haf no idea what refresh rate your monitor uses so i've retained all of them. You may need to edit the file if you don't require all of them.

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
This time it rebooted fine but now another problem, where is all my HD space? Last night before compiling the kernel I had 3.4 GB sapce free, now only 600 MB is free

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
gx_saurav said:
This time it rebooted fine but now another problem, where is all my HD space? Last night before compiling the kernel I had 3.4 GB sapce free, now only 600 MB is free
sudo rm -rf /usr/src/linux-2.6.23*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom