Migrated from BSNL to Fiber , Need new router or use existing?

OP
kARTechnology

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
yes if your existing router does not support mac spoofing.i suggest tp-link W8968 mentioned earlier.it is a very good value for money product & its many features will make it unnecessary to upgrade for at least a couple of years.

Okay my local cable says I should take the new router to their office and they will configure it for me,
They said it takes 30 minutes

But can I do it myself, cause they always say d-link or Cisco preferred, that's why

Asked weather I can buy tp-link, they said a stupid answer
Tp-link has loose connectors at backside and will be broken easily

shreymittal

Being Human
Okay my local cable says I should take the new router to their office and they will configure it for me,
They said it takes 30 minutes

But can I do it myself, cause they always say d-link or Cisco preferred, that's why

Asked weather I can buy tp-link, they said a stupid answer
Tp-link has loose connectors at backside and will be broken easily

They are idiots who don't know anything don't listen them even my airtel techical deparment guy say's tp link has link down problem i.e; internet will go down again and again :facepalm: never faced such type of problem since dec. when i bought w8961. and about configuring your modem well you can do it by yourself.

OP
kARTechnology

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
They are idiots who don't know anything don't listen them even my airtel techical deparment guy say's tp link has link down problem i.e; internet will go down again and again :facepalm: never faced such type of problem since dec. when i bought w8961. and about configuring your modem well you can do it by yourself.

So I can bravely, strongly buy it?:)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
first & most basic rule of shopping in India:never listen to what shopkeeper says
always learn to do things yourself if you don't want to get scammed by others.configuring any broadband connection(adsl or cable) is just a matter of 2 minutes if you know what you are doing.just tell them that you will do the configuration & ask them to give you the ip address details(only needed if your cable isp use static type,for dynamic type it is allocated automatically).

OP
kARTechnology

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
first & most basic rule of shopping in India:never listen to what shopkeeper says
always learn to do things yourself if you don't want to get scammed by others.configuring any broadband connection(adsl or cable) is just a matter of 2 minutes if you know what you are doing.just tell them that you will do the configuration & ask them to give you the ip address details(only needed if your cable isp use static type,for dynamic type it is allocated automatically).

Oh yeah, one time told BSNL that I will use multiple PC's they said they have special plans and I should get a new Aral adsl line for each computer!!!
But Google helped me....

I'm new to cable broadband. They use dynamic ip...
So after mac cloning, every device will appear as coming from same mac address??

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
yes.once you clone mac address of registered device & login from that device all connections seems to come from registered device.

OP
kARTechnology

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
@whitestar_999
could you pls help me to setup dlink 2750u while my tplink arrives????
and there is mac clone option but i have never configured for cable internet before (i know only dsl configuration)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
in your modem/router setting go to configuration page where you select connection type as pppoe/bridge & select dynamic ip address(if your cable broadband provider does not provide details like ip address gateway etc) else select static ip & enter the details given by your cable provider.connect incoming lan wire to one of the lan port(prefer 1st lan port) & then open login page from registered device.

OP
kARTechnology

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
in your modem/router setting go to configuration page where you select connection type as pppoe/bridge & select dynamic ip address(if your cable broadband provider does not provide details like ip address gateway etc) else select static ip & enter the details given by your cable provider.connect incoming lan wire to one of the lan port(prefer 1st lan port) & then open login page from registered device.

from registered device?
i have mac clone option but it is not working. after saving settings and rebooting, it is not changed in the device info page

OP
kARTechnology

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"

as you told, i have ordered it on flipkart but they cancelled it saying its out of stock after buying(CoD)
after numerous reviews i found that in tp link w8968 port forward is not working. its a bug

so i don't know what to do...should i buy this? I called my isp and another man told(he was a true technician)
you can buy what ever router you want, any router will work

could you suggest me any other model, i saw asus rt-n13u B1 but it does not have IPV6(should i worry abt this) and external antennas(will it affect signal, i have a pretty big house)
I like if the signal is good in 2nd floor, but it will be very nice if it will come for ground floor and 3rd floor. does the downloading really work in it?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i too have read about port forward issue in w8968 but from whatever i read it is not related to port forwarding as such but lack of local loopback.see here:
TD-W8968 virtual servers(Port Forwarding) does not have loopback function :(
Td-w8968 needs new firmware update, tp-link!
also these issues are likely to be fixed by a firmware upgrade so if you can wait or take a chance then go for it else based on your range requirements you can go for this:
TP-LINK TL-WR941ND 300Mbps Wireless N Router - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com
it has detachable antennas so you can replace them with more powerful antenna to increase range if need arise but downside is that it costs about same as 8968 with no features like usb port,3g usb support & adsl modem in 8968.

OP
kARTechnology

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
i too have read about port forward issue in w8968 but from whatever i read it is not related to port forwarding as such but lack of local loopback.see here:
TD-W8968 virtual servers(Port Forwarding) does not have loopback function :(
Td-w8968 needs new firmware update, tp-link!
also these issues are likely to be fixed by a firmware upgrade so if you can wait or take a chance then go for it else based on your range requirements you can go for this:
TP-LINK TL-WR941ND 300Mbps Wireless N Router - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com
it has detachable antennas so you can replace them with more powerful antenna to increase range if need arise but downside is that it costs about same as 8968 with no features like usb port,3g usb support & adsl modem in 8968.

but i need usb, btw is asus rt-n13u b1 good???
but it does not have IPV6(should i worry abt this) and internal antennas(will it affect signal, i have a pretty big house)
I like if the signal is good in 2nd floor, but it will be very nice if it will come for ground floor and 3rd floor. does the downloading really work in it?
any tdf member using it

so no other router is avilaable in this range except two...

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
don't worry about ipv6 for at least a few years to come.for review on asus rt-n13u b1 contact @dashing.sujay & @Rajesh345 as they are using this model.

OP
kARTechnology

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
BUMP!

Well i got the asus rt-n13u and had bad experiences (2 units were faulty, or did it just did'nt work for me?)
so i returned it to flipkart and refunded into wallet...

I have a cordless phone operating in the 2.4GHz range and i thought it might be interfering so i unplugged it also but it was same, wifi will disappear/wont connect to router login page..
I don't know how bsnl wa-3002g4 worked flawlessly without drops/disconnections with the cordless phone on and even the d-link 2750u too.

so how is this router????
Rs. 4,875.00

wdr-3600 | eBay
it has got dual band,gigabit lan/wan ports and 2 USB ports

I know it is a bit costly, i read all amazon and newegg reviews and confused to buy this or a basic router without usb/gigabit ports/dual band...i want no dropouts or any other problems and i see many routers are defective pieces so it depends on luck,
some say its great some say its worst! so i can't decide myself

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
the question is how much you need usb port,gigabit lan & dual band.why don't you go for W8968?tp-link has released a new firmware too(v130217) which should fix any issues.it has usb port as well as 3g usb modem support.

OP
kARTechnology

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
the question is how much you need usb port,gigabit lan & dual band.why don't you go for W8968?tp-link has released a new firmware too(v130217) which should fix any issues.it has usb port as well as 3g usb modem support.

> I think i will be using that usb thingy, I am going to buy a printer soon but still confused in that matter too...
> and i feel 5.8ghz will not interfere with the cordless phone...as it is my primary phone
> I have a big collection of data about 500gb or so so i dont know right now how i am going to backup it...(I face many hdd failures-dont know why)
so if i have a gigabit, it will be future proof and i can use it for file transfers...(plan to do so)

I dont know if this tplink model i said is reliable or not...I saw many reviews saying its good and some say it is bad

I can buy that W8968, and it is also future proof with 1 usb. I feel i am missing something...

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
to share a printer over wireless network you don't need to necessarily use router usb port.as for cordless phone you yourself said that your existing 2.4GHz bsnl router has no issues with it.for backing up hdd best way is to use it internally inside the pc once & after transferring all the data simply disconnect & take out the drive & pack it in its original anti-static cover & put it inside a bag or something.check this hdd health once a month by connecting it inside PC.also use a good quality ups,psu & mains voltage stabilizer(if there are frequent voltage fluctuations) but i suggest turning off pc during the times of heavy voltage fluctuations or run the pc using ups/inverter with mains power turned off.

OP
kARTechnology

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
to share a printer over wireless network you don't need to necessarily use router usb port.as for cordless phone you yourself said that your existing 2.4GHz bsnl router has no issues with it.for backing up hdd best way is to use it internally inside the pc once & after transferring all the data simply disconnect & take out the drive & pack it in its original anti-static cover & put it inside a bag or something.check this hdd health once a month by connecting it inside PC.also use a good quality ups,psu & mains voltage stabilizer(if there are frequent voltage fluctuations) but i suggest turning off pc during the times of heavy voltage fluctuations or run the pc using ups/inverter with mains power turned off.

I have a old pc, it has a gigabit ethernet port, so it will be useful for transfering files...in future maybe if i make a nas or download box?
PSU: corsair cx430v2
UPS: APC 600va
no voltage fluctuations at all

is anyone in thinkdigit have w8968 and have any issues with wifi droppings? it is my main oncern, i wasd frustrated when it happened with the bith rt-n13u units

Top Bottom