Microsoft's Research : Gazelle Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
I found this via a Microsoft Research PDF for a Gazelle browser. After some googling I found some articles written on various websites regarding the Gazzle Browser prototype. It sure looks like a super solid browser engine all written in C# managed code.

Introducing Microsoft's Gazelle: A Web Browser as a Multi-Principal OS

Late last week, Microsoft Research released an interesting paper [PDF] about a Web browser it calls Gazelle that's constructed in such a way to act like an operating system with the browser kernel exclusively protecting resources and sharing across Web sites. The idea behind Gazelle is to create a browser that is more secure for the now typical dynamic pages we find on the Web. According to Microsoft, Gazelle is different as no existing browsers, including new architectures, have a multi-principal operating system constructed in such a way that provides the browser-based OS exclusive control to manage the protection of all system resources.
"Gazelle's security model is centered around protecting principals from one another by separating their respective resources into hardware-isolated protection domains. Any sharing between two different principals must be explicit using cross-principal communication (or IPC) mediated by Browser Kernel."​
*www.readwriteweb.com/images/gazelle_feb_09.jpg
The research team claims it has successfully browsed 19 of the 20 most popular sites as reported by Alexa with its prototype, but admits the performance of the prototype was only "acceptable." The paper also includes an in-depth comparison of Gazelle's architecture and security with Google Chrome, OP and IE8.
But before you go and read it, make sure you realize that it was written by the research team and in no way states it will be developed by the IE team; there is however a glimmer of hope for those who think it would be a good idea, and it can be found in the conclusion when the team points out that 'the implementation and evaluation of our IE-based prototype shows promise of a practical multiprincipal OS-based browser in the real world."
Still, it's an interesting read for those who are interested in the technology.

Looks like Microsoft started work on a new Browser Engine for Internet Explorer quite some time back. Its quite nice to see Microsoft making efforts in fixing the problems of Internet Exploer & its browser engine.

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
I hope we web developers won't have to then deal with Microsoft's one more buggy product. IE is enough to keep us occupied :D

Sorry for being cynical though :D

vandit

In the zone
@pat read the paper and the thread CAREFULLY. Its not html 5 and css 3 that microsoft is researching on ; its something else which apple hasnt ; cant and will not be able to think of anyways.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
CSS3 ftw ! I hate using images just to make round edges...lulz. Firefox supports round edges and thats what awesome.

Dunno how this Gazelle comes out...

Pat

Beyond Smart
@pat read the paper and the thread CAREFULLY. Its not html 5 and css 3 that microsoft is researching on ; its something else which apple hasnt ; cant and will not be able to think of anyways.

Ofcourse there might be other things..I was referring to HTML5 and CSS3! Isnt it available on IE 8 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom