Microsoft to unveil free anti-virus software

Status
Not open for further replies.

soumya

In the zone
*i.zdnet.com/blogs/windows_live_one_care.jpg

Microsoft Corp is getting ready to unveil a long-anticipated free anti-virus service for personal computers that will compete with products sold by Symantec Corp and McAfee Inc.

A Microsoft spokesman said on Wednesday that the world's biggest software maker is testing an early version of the product with its own employees. Microsoft would "soon" make a trial version, or product beta, available via its website, he added, but declined to provide a specific date.

Symantec shares fell 0.5 percent on Nasdaq and McAfee fell 1.3 percent on the New York Stock Exchange, while Microsoft was up 2.1 percent. The Nasdaq composite index was down 0.47 percent.

Investors are closely monitoring the free service, code-named Morro after Brazil's Morro de Sao Paolo beach, amid concern it could hurt sales of products from Symantec and McAfee, which generate billions of dollars of revenue a year protecting Windows PCs from attacks by hackers.

"It's a long-term competitive threat," said Daniel Ives, an analyst with FBR Capital Markets, though he added that the near-term impact was minimal.

Microsoft has said that Morro will offer basic features for fighting a wide range of viruses, which would likely make it comparable to low-end consumer products from Symantec and McAfee that cost about $40 per year.

REUTERS

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Its just for namesake obviously.
Also how sad, Microsoft Windows Sucks so much that, they are developing Anti Virus for it.
Why not instead make the OS itself more secure. how Ironic and LOLs.

Indyan

Here Since 2003
Its just for namesake obviously.
Also how sad, Microsoft Windows Sucks so much that, they are developing Anti Virus for it.
Why not instead make the OS itself more secure. how Ironic and LOLs.

Actually Windows 7 is pretty secure. An OS is too big a software to not have some vulnerability or the other. But things do get better with time.
Its possible to write viruses for Macs also but no one bother with something that less than 5% marketshare.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

axxo

99.9% Idle
I thought Windows Defender was already there ?
yeah but that protects from spyware only,
windows livecare for virus
if am not wrong..
expect more in the series...
windows surrender for trojans
windows wondercake for adware
windows carefree for malware..
etc..

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
Microsoft would "soon" make a trial version, or product beta, available via its website, he added, but declined to provide a specific date.

Err..trial version of a free software??? Heared for first time.

cooldudie3

Boom Boom Boom
even if this comes out, I think I would be safer to stick with other AVs.
and Live OneCare thought Skype was a malware/adware. Hilarious, I doubt this will succeed

azzu

AJJU
wow a free (anti)virus software frm Microsoft
sounds interesting lets c Wat they bring out finally
sounds weird to me free and Microsoft :D

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's the same thing compared with other AVs if you compare intel graphics with Nvidia/ATI grpahics cards :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom