Microsoft to lock pirates out of Vista PCs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shashank4u

Youngling
one thing microsoft can do is to provide hardware lock..thru parallel port..
i think that will do for microsoft .
i think no bypass/hacking is possible for hardwae lock.

hemant_mathur

-- No Easter Eggs here --
^^Unless and until the hardware lock is cracked and cheap copies are sold eveywhere ... but then hardware locks are hard to crack aren't they ?

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
Earlier this month it was learned that the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program in Vista would actually :arrow: LOCK computers that failed a WGA authentication check.

Now comes word that Microsoft (Quote) has changed the licensing terms for the retail version of Vista. Customers will only be :arrow: able to re-install Vista on a new machine once. After that, they will have to buy a new copy of Vista....

*www.internetnews.com/security/article.php/3638581

Apart from the pirated version users, the primary group that will be affected by this change in licensing is people who build their own PCs and update it incrementally. Some hobbyists like to upgrade their own PCs, replacing the CPU, memory or video card somewhere along the line.

heck this means u install vista on a third machine and ur pc could get :eek: LOCKED...things have been made more tough now ... it seems ...

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
The whole article seems to me to be based on hearsay..

I dont think microsoft can 'lock computers' as it would be illigal but only the user can be locked out of the OS just like the activation in XP and vista beta. btw how are they supposed to know upon a clean install that it is infact a 'reinstall'. i guess the only way windows can reduce piracy is by making activation mandatory for every one. but even then people will find ways to bypass that.

It is like this.. 'every thing that is made can be broken'

I think that until and unless there is a global handshake between all majour software and hardware companies to hardcode an authentication system into everything there cannot be any peace for software developers. Just like a hacker cannot copy a processor or a graphic card but can easily copy software....

Think of it in this way.. what if intel, amd other processor manufacturers make a deal with OS/Software developers that a mandatory authentication is required for the CPU to be 'unlocked' before it can function at full potential and in turn the OS requires a authenticated hardwired CPU to function. then how will a hacker crack the system :)

Here i my concept:
-Say each processor has a hardwired ID,
-each mobo has a primary authintication BIOS OS that allows only connection with cpu manufacturer,
-and when the cpu is authenticated it is registered to a particular party and a small encrypted cyher is hard-written into the CPU
-Now when OS and other software need to authinticate they get binded to that cyper and that partcular party and recieve their own cypher.
-Now, we know that when ever any instruction needs to be passed to the processor then it needs to pass thru the bios
-The bios inturn passes it thru an encryption process that can only be decrypted(and then processed) by using the CPU cypher and the OS/software cypher

Now how do u break that..

Btw the only flaw with this concept is that the encryption/decryption hardwired processor would be 'added cost' and power hungry. but i think in the age of dual core processors it beats the hell out of the multi billion dollar losses the companies claim thay are loosing. kinda like collateral damage. After long thought and some personal enlightnment i think that the companies thenselves dont want this to happer because then people wil switch over to open source completely(which isnt bad at all).

I would also like to say that in light of this idea i strongly think Linus Torvalds played a much more important role then he or the world realises :)

-Peace Out-

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
anandk said:
Earlier this month it was learned that the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program in Vista would actually :arrow: LOCK computers that failed a WGA authentication check.

Now comes word that Microsoft (Quote) has changed the licensing terms for the retail version of Vista. Customers will only be :arrow: able to re-install Vista on a new machine once. After that, they will have to buy a new copy of Vista....

*www.internetnews.com/security/article.php/3638581

Apart from the pirated version users, the primary group that will be affected by this change in licensing is people who build their own PCs and update it incrementally. Some hobbyists like to upgrade their own PCs, replacing the CPU, memory or video card somewhere along the line.

heck this means u install vista on a third machine and ur pc could get :eek: LOCKED...things have been made more tough now ... it seems ...
in this the most affect are the Genuine users

hermit

Journeyman
can any 1 effort $500 for os .

and few more $$ to upgrade ???

so pirated versions will b avaliable , no matter how hard M$ tries .

jeetu

Broken In
Well actually WGA has flopped at least temperorily with pirated Win XP Sp2 Student Edition. Anyway many microsft s/w like wmp11 etc are already available with cracked versions. WGA is a spyware IMHO. Till now all copy protection for games have failed misrably. Most of these were affecting genunine customer. Starforce (another Spyware) is now abandoned by most gaming companies. For other wierd copy protected games like XIII , a no-cd patch was provided by company itself as it was too much pain for customers. Some like used in games like Half-Life 2 was a better experience for pirated users than real customers (requiring an internet connection to activate a non-online game) Duh.
Anyway returning back to Microsoft , its better to wait atleast a year while switching to their new O.S until a second patch is released. (As they will be full of bugs like) always. Example , Win 95 OSR2, win 98S SE, WinXP Sp2.
So I WILL NOT be shifting to Vista anytime soon.
Even if Microsoft is able by some miracle made a full pirated proof O.S. People will continue using XP for more years and later will switch to LINUX etc. Or Even MAC O.S.
If all I have seen thus far pirated user is not affected by these silly protections only a genuine user does.

Com Warrior

Right off the assembly line
Maddy sayz: "If Windows is the solution, can we please have the problem back ?"

---YeT another reason for GeNuine users to migrate to LiNuX---

kumarmohit

Technomancer
The effect will be not as much as M$ expects but its not going to be a complete failure either, See...

*www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/8041.cfm

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
say 1000 programmers make the OS for Microsoft....... say abt more than 10 lac r there to crack it......so who has more brain power????

*www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/8041.cfm

READ IT CAREFULLY......it is regarding problem in UK...this is INDIA my friend ;)....there piracy is abt 17% odd...and in india its more than 70%....i guess ;)....may be less ...but not les than 50% :) 8) :)

Last edited:

kumarmohit

Technomancer
I totally agree that 10 Lac crackers have more brain power but (tho it does not make their action legal) I am considering the overall effectiveness of WGA and not its effectiveness specific to India

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
i bet it will first release on irc and thats also b4 the launch of vista.
how many of u know that cracked version of winxp was released 25 days b4 the official launch of win xp.

tehnogeek

Broken In
i agree its tough to crack....... but peolple will find ways to crack it.... earlier tally used to ship with hardware lock ......but so many of them found a way to bypass it.....

Last edited:

shaunak

Tux Fan
Lets put it this way.
Consider a PC with a T3 internet connection, and a 700GB Hard Drive with all major file sharing tools loaded. MS has the same chance of keeping pirates out that the chance that the PC will never be used to download anything illeagal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom