Microsoft to Launch its own Social Networking Site

Tech&ME

Banned
Microsoft may be gearing up to jump into the lucrative social networking fray by launching a social networking site, according to a report. If this is really true, then it will be interesting to see how the three-way dance between the giants Microsoft, Google, and Facebook ends up.

Microsoft has reportedly bought a site Socl.com, and it is not just the name that hints at it being a "social" networking site in the making. A few days ago, Socl.com hosted a teaser page for a service called Tulalip, which is the name of one of the Native American tribes based near Microsoft's Redmond office. This service advertised itself in the teaser as a service that lets users "...Find what you need and Share what you know easier than ever". There was a link saying "See how it works", and there were options to connect via Facebook and Twitter.

Full Story here

This was also featured on NDTV GadgetsGuru show. ;-)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guess, it will run on IE9 and the yet to be released IE10 only. ;)

On a serious note, do we really need another social networking site???

sujoyp

Grand Master
yaah I am sure we do need one more social networking site...just read that facebook and tweeter took 2 years for 20million registers but google+ did that in 2 weeks...

That means we still have large apetite for social netwrking sites :D

OP
T

Tech&ME

Banned
Well lets see skud how it sums up!! Microsoft is next then comes Apple with its own.... and so goes the list.

BTW , infosys also lauched their own SN site... right ?

Whistler81

The One and Only
yaah I am sure we do need one more social networking site...just read that facebook and tweeter took 2 years for 20million registers but google+ did that in 2 weeks...

That means we still have large apetite for social netwrking sites :D

this is highly miss leading, Google and Microsoft already have a huge number of social networking users which was created and collected by Facebook. It is from Facebook that users are migrating to newer sites.

abhijangda

Padawan
I think Microsoft will again use its Windows dominance, for making this site popular, as they did with Internet Explorer.

sujoyp

Grand Master
yaah bro..people get bored and jump to newer ship...same story with orkut and once apon a time hotmail.com

sygeek

Technomancer
It's not exactly a social networking site, or at least it won't be releasing soon.

*timenerdworld.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/586tulalip.jpg

Last edited:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Oh ! Not another Social Networking Site :mad:

sujoyp said:
Its because most of geeks registerd so that they can post in their blogs/website first hand info and experience of Google+ with screenshots

sujoyp

Grand Master
Oh ! Not another Social Networking Site :mad:

Its because most of geeks registerd so that they can post in their blogs/website first hand info and experience of Google+ with screenshots

20 millions is a big userbase to justify what u said:grin:

The most common reason maybe
-bored of blue facebook
-looking for innovation with google
-connected to gmail and google services
-looking for better Social networking games
-Privacy issue with others and looking for safe heaven;-)

Prime_Coder

I'm a Wannabe Hacker
@Sujoyp
20 millions is a big userbase to justify
Its not amazing thing when more than 20million+ users aklready have their GMail accounts.
Just predict how much the global user base GMail has... & ohh.. some of my friends have 2 or 3 Gmail accounts! They are already using G+ with only one account connected!

IMHO, switching from FB or G+ will now depend mostly on features like interface, ease of use & of course the number of friends who are using that service!

sujoyp

Grand Master
^^^ I 100% agree to ur last point...number of friends using it..

I would have never joined facebook but all my friends jumped from orkut to facebook soo i have to use facebook...now if they go Google+ then I have too ...after all social networking is useless without friends

OP
T

Tech&ME

Banned
+1 , for :

As Skud said for a change everyone jumped into G+

But I still think their is room for more innovation and a New Social Site. :wink:

sygeek

Technomancer
IMHO, switching from FB or G+ will now depend mostly on features like interface, ease of use & of course the number of friends who are using that service!
I have to agree here. At this point, what matters to Google+ is how it is presented to it's users (with it's interface, features and uniqueness) and if they really think it's worth from a switch from facebook/twitter. Once it gets enough user-base, it's never about how many features it has, it always goes as how many friends of yours does it have. We won't really have a choice then. And that's the most crucial point of any web-based service.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Bring it on.. Microsoft... Lets give FB another punch.. ::punch:
Enough of FB's monopoly now...:lol:

Top Bottom