Microsoft Office 2003 installation problems

insaneYLN

In the zone
Hello Friends,
I have been trying to install Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 for the past half an hour before logging in here.
I get this error at a certain stage -

Error 1402. Setup cannot open the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\PIPFile\DefaultIcon.
Verify that you have sufficient permissions to access the registry or contact your Information Technology department for assistance.

I located the registry key & set the Permissions for the group Everyone to Full Control. I thought that should do it but it was to be otherwise.
I got another error, the same as the above with the exception that instead of the PIPFile, it was the FFLFile.
So I once again located the registry key for that FFLFile & did the same as for the PIPFile.
After trying to install Office 2003 for a third time I got the error again but this time it was the ELMFile.
:blink:

After getting frustrated, I 'googled' the error. I got the Microsoft Fix It Tool (50416) for Office 2003 suite & ran the executable. After doing this, I tried to install Office for a fourth time but I got the first error (PIPFile) once again.
:banghead:

Please help me troubleshoot this problem.
:pray:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, running the setup in non-Admin mode, may be the culprit.
Btw, on what OS are you installing Office 2003?

OP
I

insaneYLN

In the zone
Thank you for your replies Friends.

I am trying to install Office 2003 Professional Edition on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3.

My User Account is Administrator.

:-(

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Try to clean registry with a cleaner.
Also, do a virus check.

btw, try right clicking setup and click run as admin.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
If you are running setup in admin mode, but still getting the registry error, there can be number of reasons.
First thing which comes to mind is the integrity of the installation files. How have you made sure, they are not corrupt. Maybe you can try installing it on some other OS, or on any other computer.
Then, there could be a problem with your OS gotten corrupt. You can try running a thorough Virus Scan. Then clean up the system, by deleting temporary files in temp and %temp% folders.
After that, you can run Disk Scan on the OS drive through GUI or command line (chkdsk) utility.

Then.. try install the Office!

OP
I

insaneYLN

In the zone
I ran an intense full system scan using Avast Free Antivirus (having updated to the latest program version & virus definitions).
No infections detected.

After that, ran a full scan with Spybot : Search & Destroy 1.6 (after updating it ofcourse!).
No spyware or malware.

I ran the check disk utility for my C: partition where Windows resides.
No errors.

I also ran 2 separate registry fixing utilities - Uniblue RegistryBooster 2 part of the Uniblue PowerSuite package & Registry Fix 6.
Detected problems with the registry but fixed them & rebooted the system with each of the 2 applications.

After doing all of the above, i tried installing Office 2003, but once again i got the very first error (regarding PIPFile).
This leads me to conclude that my Operating System has corrupted & perhaps there is no alternative but to re-install it, which is a very tedious task!

One peculiar observation though, i ran Uniblue RegistryBooster 2 yesterday night & today morning & on both occasions it detected problems even after i "fixed" them on the first instance.
Is this "normal"? :ashamed:

I reckon it is only Office 2003 that seems to be having an installation problem, i installed Registry Fix 6 & a few other applications without any hiccups.

Thank you all for your patience with my naive nature.
:unsure:

Rajesh345

Youngling
I ran an intense full system scan using Avast Free Antivirus (having updated to the latest program version & virus definitions).
No infections detected.

After that, ran a full scan with Spybot : Search & Destroy 1.6 (after updating it ofcourse!).
No spyware or malware.

I ran the check disk utility for my C: partition where Windows resides.
No errors.

I also ran 2 separate registry fixing utilities - Uniblue RegistryBooster 2 part of the Uniblue PowerSuite package & Registry Fix 6.
Detected problems with the registry but fixed them & rebooted the system with each of the 2 applications.

After doing all of the above, i tried installing Office 2003, but once again i got the very first error (regarding PIPFile).
This leads me to conclude that my Operating System has corrupted & perhaps there is no alternative but to re-install it, which is a very tedious task!

One peculiar observation though, i ran Uniblue RegistryBooster 2 yesterday night & today morning & on both occasions it detected problems even after i "fixed" them on the first instance.
Is this "normal"? :ashamed:

I reckon it is only Office 2003 that seems to be having an installation problem, i installed Registry Fix 6 & a few other applications without any hiccups.

Thank you all for your patience with my naive nature.
:unsure:

since problem is only with win office 2k3 , r u sure the source media is non corrupt ?

Top Bottom