Microsoft 'desperate', says OpenOffice.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
Open source advocates slam Microsoft's defensive shotgun salvo over patents

By Gregg Keizer, Computerworld (US online)

OpenOffice.org Monday called Microsoft Corp.'s assertion that its open-source application suite violates 45 of its patents "a desperate act."
"It's just hard to put into credible terms," said Louis Suarez-Potts, a community manager for OpenOffice.org and seven-year veteran of the all-volunteer group. "I don't understand what motivated Microsoft to risk so much with a position that can only serve to alienate [enterprise] customers, as well as those millions of people who use Linux."

In an interview with Fortune posted on the magazine's website Sunday, Brad Smith, Microsoft's general counsel, spelled out the company's position. During the interview, Smith claimed that OpenOffice.org, the open-source alternative to Microsoft's own Office suite, violates nearly four dozen patents. Smith did not specify the patents Microsoft believes have been violated by the application collection; nor did a follow-up statement issued by a Microsoft spokesman Monday.

OpenOffice, which is available in editions for both Windows and Linux, can be downloaded and used for free. A version written for Apple's Mac OS X should reach beta testing later this year. Microsoft Office, meanwhile, comes in versions for Windows and Mac OS X.

"This is an extraordinary and desperate act," said Suarez-Potts, who works for the Canadian-based Collaborative Network Technologies. "I think it will backfire. Microsoft's using a shotgun against open-source."

Suarez-Potts saw evidence of the scattershot approach in Microsoft's focus on GPLv3, version 3 of the Free Software Foundation's General Public License. A Microsoft spokesman today said: "The latest draft of the GPLv3 attempts to tear down the bridge between proprietary and open source technology that Microsoft has worked to build with the industry and customers."

But OpenOffice doesn't even use the GPL license, Suarez-Potts noted. "We use the LGPL (GNU Lesser General Public License)."
Previously, the only head-butting between Microsoft and OpenOffice.org has been over document formats, with the former pushing its Open XML and the latter promoting the open-source ODF (Open Document Format).
"Incredible and amazing, those are the words I have for this," concluded Suarez-Potts

Source

praka123

left this forum longback
Open Office is not a copy cat,they are better in some areas than M$ Office.
Although M$ Office may be better :(

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
praka123 said:
Open Office is not a copy cat,they are better in some areas than M$ Office.
Although M$ Office may be better

I never used openoffice, but would like to know the areas where it is better then MS Office :)

sachin_kothari

Ambassador of Buzz
if u want to compare MS office and Open Office then MS Office wins hands down. and with their 2007 version they have left their competitors far behind (only in Office :D)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
first of all : You get full functional office suite for free.. :smile:

Free, yes the biggest point.

Fully functional : Questionable. This is why I asked, money aside what features makes OpenOffice better then MS office

praka123

left this forum longback
gx_saurav said:
I never used openoffice, but would like to know the areas where it is better then MS Office :)
As for me,I am not a big user of writer.but let's see a single plus point:
It can directly export a docu to pdf format.

And do remember me as a person who left using windows! before ranting comaprisons with latest office 2080 version OK?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Well, Even office 2007 can do that. :) So kind of an irrelevent feature.

Any other feature.

(& do remember that the addon cannot be bundled but needs to be downloaded cos Adobe Sued MS for bundling)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
never said tht but u can take docs to xps from office without any addon and then open em in ie ;)

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
And then what about us "poor" linux users? I thought PDF was popular cuz its a cross platform format!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
XPS is nothing right now. PDF rocks, it is already a E-Paper standerd. It will take quite sometime for XPS to gain acceptence. Like I have mentioned in a thread before, content providers need to provide content in both XPS & PDF if XPS has to be popular.

iMav

You forogt that XPS requirs .net 3.0 to be installed in XP

mediator

Technomancer
I'm not an advanced user of office suites so basically I find both the same. But I find that the MS-Word documents load faster than the Word-Processor of Open Office on my system!
Neways here r some differences that I read from few links and might interest others too!
*www.realtechnews.com/posts/1705
*www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1850985,00.asp

i_am_crack

HAF 922 Owner
Well well what else to say, Its not just Digitans who fight here.. but also the great gaints.

@Gaurav--> Not that I hate MS Office but i have a reason (price) for it..Where as Open office serves max of my request.... This is one of the reason I love OO..Thanks,

btw... OO Takes bit a lot on system resources for sure....

my 2 cents

eBro

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Openoffice is good is you wanna to normal stuff , but for Advanced formatting n very comples layout n spreadsheets Office 2k7 wins hand down .

i like both n both r very useful for the task you wanna do . you wouldn't write a basic text-document with Word 2k7 eh ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom