Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Nahh, i am not getting fooled!

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

varunparakh

Gamer in me
Hey,

Had been searching and reading, for a friend who wanted to buy a phone for ~10k to use until Jan,[he'll get S3/OneX from US then], so came across Micromax A90 again :p, had seen leaked images, specs, a hands on from iGyaan, but then saw some reviews yesterday!!

And since people here have been tempted to go for the phone, some discussion isnt bad afterall ;)

All what reviews said was :
1. Total VFM
2. Stock ICS with NO LAG at all, unlike A100 or other mmx devices or the devices in the same category!!
3. 4 inches, Super GOOD[AMOLED] screen, though 262k colors.
4. 1GHz Single core Proccy is a bit shakky, but "itne mein itna hii milegaaa!! :p "
5. Neat benchmarks when compared to Xperia U[though 8500 Novathor proccy goes ahead in terms of processing power]
6. Looks a bit like S2[ooh!!, Apple may sue micromax next o_O]
7. 512MB RAM, is okie dokie for normal users, nothing great!
8. Internal storage is again fine 4GB!
9. Camera is 8MP only on paper, but reproduction is again fair enough for the price[one of the best in segment]
10. Extremely fluid browsing & a lovely experience of what seems from the review videos, best in segment hands down!

Although its MMX, bt looks like a good phone this time.

Big Con : Slows down, when you run high/medium end games.

Concerns: MediaTek MT6577 1GHz dual core chip[40% increase in performance] based devices are going to be launched soon, its been rumored that A90 will be launched with the same by eom, with 2k hike in the price, leaves uncertainty for the buyers of A90.

[update]: looks kinda official Breaking: Micromax will Launch Dual Core versions of A90 and two other phones : Mediatek | iGyaan.in

Cur Price : 12990/-
Expected DualCore model price : ~15k[only rumors !!]

Reviews :
iGyaan Full Review with 3 videos
Gogi.in Full review with videos

PS : I completely understand, the brand is Micromax, an indian firm with a mediocre repo, but then i had same thoughts of not going with such a brand for the same of not getting robbed of money and regretting later, but then somehow i just went for the Mmx Funbook when it was launched, and i find myself pretty much satisfied with what i have(except ofcourse the battery!).

Wassa people, would love to hear your opinions!

Attachments

• a100.jpg
    a100.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Micromax A90 vs other ~13k Android mobiles:
MobileOperating System DisplayResolutionPixel DensityProtectionCameraVideo Front CamProcessorGPURamInternal Memory
Micromax A90Android 4.04.3" AMOLED480X800217Gorilla Glass8MP + LED480pYESMediaTek MT6575 1GhzPowerVR SGX 531512MB2GB
Huawei Ideos X5 ProAndroid 4.03.8"480X800246Scratch-resistant glass, oleophobic coating5MP + LED720pNOQualcomm MSM8255 1GhzAdreno 205512MB1.5GB
Huawei Ascend G300 Android 2.34.0" IPS LCD480X800233NO5MP + LED480pNOQualcomm MSM7227A 1GhzAdreno 200 (enhanced)512MB2.5GB
LG Optimus L5Android 4.04.0"320X480144Gorilla Glass5MP + LED480pNOQualcomm MSM7225A 800MhzAdreno 200 (enhanced)512MB2.5GB

look at the above comparison. MMX wins in Screen cause of it using bigger AMOLED display but ppi is lower and remember it most likely uses pentile matrix, then the screen may start to show pixelation cause the ppi is not high. camera is win for now but i am sure a side by side comparison of A90 and one taken by L5 or maybe the other mobiles that are not considered in this comparison (mobile with less than 3.8" display). won't talk about video recording cause it'll lose it to any Xperia mobile. Processor wise it looses again but GPU wise its a win (SGX531 > Adreno 205 > Adreno 200). But now consider we are comparing a desi brand with international players. Specs are made attractive to customer and not real life use. They could have packed a Qualcomm A5 chip and priced it under 10k kicking Karbonn or Spice out their place. Instead it went head to head with International brands. This mobile is really well designed to attract customers and lack anything interesting.

one more thing. the mobiles i have compared all cost 10-12k and not 13k. MMX A90 cost 13k. Want VFM? Consider Karbonn A18 or Spice MI 425.

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
forget about screen technology..see the color reproduction..A90 has 256k color reproduction whereas all other are having 16 millions..kya fayda AMOLED technology ka when they try to introduced pretty competitive mid end features in A90 like others...

i dont understand why manufacturers make such incomplete phones...

v.Na5h

Off Hook!
forget about screen technology..see the color reproduction..A90 has 256k color reproduction whereas all other are having 16 millions..kya fayda AMOLED technology ka when they try to introduced pretty competitive mid end features in A90 like others...

i dont understand why manufacturers make such incomplete phones...

Those are just numbers
A human eye is definitely not able to tell the difference between the two

Hrishi

How is the Huaweii model for those looking at little smaller screen ??? Never saw a Huawei phone practically .

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Why comparing only A90. What about A100?

Little comparison where the config differs:

SpecsA90A100Who wins
Processor1 GHz1 GHz Qualcomm ScorpionNot Sure :p
DisplayAMOLEDTFTA90
Colors256K colors16M colorsA100
Size4.3 Inches
WVGA, 480 x 800 Pixels
5 Inches
FWVGA, 480 x 854 Pixels
Doesn't really matter, since a part of real estate in A100 is for touch buttons
Primary Camera8 Megapixel5 MegapixelA90
Battery Li-Ion 1600 mAh Li-Ion 2000 mAhA100
Price Rs 12990Rs 9999A100

Other stuff that I am not sure which is better (since Flipkart and GSMArena conflicts) are Sensors and Internal Memory.

But anyway I think A100 can be considered as a VFM product compared to A90.
Sadly A100 is not available anywhere including offline stores. Or a friend could have bought it long before. :/

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
A90 wins cause of better GPU. and cause of big screen but low resolution, A100 will looks blurry.

The g300 had a lot of community support
But it isn't available in India I guess

check flipkart. and AFAIK, its not G300 that have a lot of community support. Its the X5/U8800 lineup.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
A90 wins cause of better GPU. and cause of big screen but low resolution, A100 will looks blurry.

And what about the difference of 400 mAh of battery?
Last time I checked battery was a big concern with Androids! :?

OP
varunparakh

varunparakh

Gamer in me
Micromax A90 vs other ~13k Android mobiles:

look at the above comparison. MMX wins in Screen cause of it using bigger AMOLED display but ppi is lower and remember it most likely uses pentile matrix, then the screen may start to show pixelation cause the ppi is not high. camera is win for now but i am sure a side by side comparison of A90 and one taken by L5 or maybe the other mobiles that are not considered in this comparison (mobile with less than 3.8" display). won't talk about video recording cause it'll lose it to any Xperia mobile. Processor wise it looses again but GPU wise its a win (SGX531 > Adreno 205 > Adreno 200). But now consider we are comparing a desi brand with international players. Specs are made attractive to customer and not real life use. They could have packed a Qualcomm A5 chip and priced it under 10k kicking Karbonn or Spice out their place. Instead it went head to head with International brands. This mobile is really well designed to attract customers and lack anything interesting.

one more thing. the mobiles i have compared all cost 10-12k and not 13k. MMX A90 cost 13k. Want VFM? Consider Karbonn A18 or Spice MI 425.

The comparision may say things, but how can you go on to trust HUAWEI and not Micromax ? I mean, for most of us, Micromax is even worse coz of being desi, but huawei is a giant, but since no service & pretty unknown in the smartphone niche, one wont trust huawei so easily.
VFM in the sense that, it offers all the good stuff, for an average user, not a power one, within a reasonable price, while Karbonn & Spice have an even inferior repo & again lack of services.
Those are just numbers
A human eye is definitely not able to tell the difference between the two

Absolutely +1 to that! Dont go on the numbers in this segment, go on what you ee!!.
Why comparing only A90. What about A100?

Little comparison where the config differs:

Other stuff that I am not sure which is better (since Flipkart and GSMArena conflicts) are Sensors and Internal Memory.

But anyway I think A100 can be considered as a VFM product compared to A90.
Sadly A100 is not available anywhere including offline stores. Or a friend could have bought it long before. :/

I have had a hands on with A-100 at a nearby E-zone store, the phone looks pretty neat, but you feel the lag in there, when you use it, like you see the lil laggyness when you go from menu to the homescreen, and thats with a stock phone with no added apps, sucks for me!

And what about the difference of 400 mAh of battery?
Last time I checked battery was a big concern with Androids! :?

This is one good point, not sure with the battery backup of A90.

bikubarat

Right off the assembly line
Do you think the mobiles from Mmx will be alive even after two years of use? Will not they be outright faulty from the Day 1?

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
Wait. Next month Micromax launching DUAL-CORE version of Micromax A90. Makes sense to get that instead.

deepaksharma

Right off the assembly line
i saw this phone firstly on snapdeal but now its sold out there .. any other site who offer cash on delivery for this phone.. looks good via tech specs..

Top Bottom