Metal gear solid v: The phantom pain

quicky008

Technomancer
Is anyone else finding phantom pain monotonous?I've played the first 6-8 missions in the game but hardly found them to be engaging or interesting in any way-most of the mission objectives are pretty similar to each other and there's hardly any difference between successive missions as far as the tasks that are to be performed are concerned.Most of the missions are pretty mundane,and they usually involve sneaking into enemy camps either to gather intel or resources or to eliminate hostiles which have little to no impact on the main story and don't contribute to the advancement of the game's plot in any significant way-even the locales are often recycled between missions.Apart from the prologue which was rather thrilling,i haven't seen anything else could justify the immense hype that was built up about the game prior to its release.If the rest of the game is also like this then i'll be sorely disappointed.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Is anyone else finding phantom pain monotonous?I've played the first 6-8 missions in the game but hardly found them to be engaging or interesting in any way-most of the mission objectives are pretty similar to each other and there's hardly any difference between successive missions as far as the tasks that are to be performed are concerned.Most of the missions are pretty mundane,and they usually involve sneaking into enemy camps either to gather intel or resources or to eliminate hostiles which have little to no impact on the main story and don't contribute to the advancement of the game's plot in any significant way-even the locales are often recycled between missions.Apart from the prologue which was rather thrilling,i haven't seen anything else could justify the immense hype that was built up about the game prior to its release.If the rest of the game is also like this then i'll be sorely disappointed.

If you found it repetitive in the first 6 missions then you are going to be very very disappointed. But I am still liking it after mission 20. I am creative enough I guess.

People are saying that Chapter 3 is missing from the game and the game is unfinished. Story is incomplete.

quicky008

Technomancer
If you found it repetitive in the first 6 missions then you are going to be very very disappointed. But I am still liking it after mission 20. I am creative enough I guess.

That's a huge bummer-i was under the impression that this game was really intriguing and had a diverse and interesting set of missions that would be a joy to play through,but after trying the first couple of missions i'm slowly beginning to realize that it wasn't really as great as i had hoped.Many well known sites such as gamespot have hailed it as a masterpiece and awarded it a 10/10 but this game hardly seems like masterpiece material to me-the reviewers were either hardcore mgs fans or they were bribed by the developers to post such false and misleading reviews to con hordes of unsuspecting gamers into buying this overhyped and unfinished game.IMHO it deserves nothing more than 5/10 if the later part of the game is just as boring and repetitive as the first half.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
That's a huge bummer-i was under the impression that this game was really intriguing and had a diverse and interesting set of missions that would be a joy to play through,but after trying the first couple of missions i'm slowly beginning to realize that it wasn't really as great as i had hoped.Many well known sites such as gamespot have hailed it as a masterpiece and awarded it a 10/10 but this game hardly seems like masterpiece material to me-the reviewers were either hardcore mgs fans or they were bribed by the developers to post such false and misleading reviews to con hordes of unsuspecting gamers into buying this overhyped and unfinished game.IMHO it deserves nothing more than 5/10 if the later part of the game is just as boring and repetitive as the first half.

+1 to this. I got the exact same feeling.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I don't know about you guys but I still find the game interesting. Surveying guard posts and AOs, finding alternate routes, carefully planning and execution is what is like to do in all games and MGS delivers this very well. Hell, I replay missions just to try different approaches. That plus I like the Motherbase management meta-game as well. All in all, it is a pretty well made game and I would still consider it a strong candidate for GOTY, if Fallout 4 does not beat it.

quicky008

Technomancer
The only game that lived upto my expectations was witcher 3-other than that,most of the major titles that have been released so far(in 2015,i mean) have been really disappointing.I'm sorry to say Mgs 5 happens to be one of the most boring games that i've ever played and many people who have posted their reviews on the game's steam store page have also suggested the same.There isn't much variation or diversity between its missions to sustain the player's interest and so the game tends to become tedious pretty quick.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
The only game that lived upto my expectations was witcher 3-other than that,most of the major titles that have been released so far(in 2015,i mean) have been really disappointing.I'm sorry to say Mgs 5 happens to be one of the most boring games that i've ever played and many people who have posted their reviews on the game's steam store page have also suggested the same.There isn't much variation or diversity between its missions to sustain the player's interest and so the game tends to become tedious pretty quick.

You can't even Jump.

Pasapa

Live to die another day
Tbh, maybe the stealth genre ain't the thing for you. What I like about the game is the attention of detail it has , the satisfaction it provides when you complete a mission in total stealth, the mother base development and management. Sure most of the missions has the same objective ( executing or extracting soldiers, gathering Intel files, destroying objectives) but what makes them interesting (at least for me) is the different kinds of way you can take to do it. You can also call witcher 3's missions repetitive because in almost every mission you have to kill monsters or soldiers which is done by basically slash,roll,magic,slash,roll - now that's repetition.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
I am actually enjoying the game so far. I have yet to see Chapter 2 so really can't comment if the story is lacking or not but till mission 20 I am not bored at all. And I am doing all the side ops as they come up. You just have to be creative in doing the missions I guess. On contrast I didn't like Witcher 3 that much as people have said it to be. Witcher is very flat in terms of level design and game design. MGS just has too many details. Like just to point out - every grass and tree sort of acts as cover/camo in MGSV whereas every grass/tree in Witcher 3 is just a visual thing and has absolutely nothing to do with gameplay. Every tree in MGSV can be destroyed too.

You can't even Jump.

You can jump but in certain 'platforming' locations.

- - - Updated - - -

You can also call witcher 3's missions repetitive because in almost every mission you have to kill monsters or soldiers which is done by basically slash,roll,magic,slash,roll - now that's repetition.

Exactly

bikramjitkar

In the zone
I just finished the first mission a week back and haven't played it since. No way in hell is this game even close to a 10/10 or Witcher 3. Bland desert environment and laughable "story". And Hideo Kojima's name popping up every 2 minutes. The game engine is VERY well optimized though, I'll give them that.

Kaltrops

In the zone
I just finished the first mission a week back and haven't played it since. No way in hell is this game even close to a 10/10 or Witcher 3. Bland desert environment and laughable "story". And Hideo Kojima's name popping up every 2 minutes. The game engine is VERY well optimized though, I'll give them that.
All of this after just one mission? You haven't unlocked Quiet, D-Dog, Africa and you're already being so harsh?

Highly unreasonable.

bikramjitkar

In the zone
All of this after just one mission? You haven't unlocked Quiet, D-Dog, Africa and you're already being so harsh?

Highly unreasonable.

Yeah, I was being a bit too harsh there, but I don't really get the time to play too many games these days, so run out of patience early. :lol: Witcher 3 gripped me from the very beginning and I couldn't stop playing it for 3 months. Guess it just ruined every other game for me! I played a bit of Peace Walker years back on the PSP and never got into that too despite all the rave reviews.

Kaltrops

In the zone
Yeah, I was being a bit too harsh there, but I don't really get the time to play too many games these days, so run out of patience early. Witcher 3 gripped me from the very beginning and I couldn't stop playing it for 3 months. Guess it just ruined every other game for me! I played a bit of Peace Walker years back on the PSP and never got into that too despite all the rave reviews.

Hehe. That's better! A little context always helps :). Now I totally understand how you feel. I just can't get into Dragon Age Inquisition after playing the Witcher 3 for so long. It just feels like such a downgrade.

Yeah I can see how people could get turned off from the MGS franchise if you're not a big fan who has followed it from the beginning.

But I'm a huge Splinter Cell fanboy so I love stealth games no matter how bad the story might be, so MGS V was an easy decision :)

But don't give up. Play again one day when you have the time. You have to play 3 hours at a time. The attention to detail in this game is amazing. So much effort by the devs. I seriously respect them for this - 100 Little Details in Metal Gear Solid 5 That Will Blow Your Mind - IGN

bikramjitkar

In the zone
^ You don't like stealth games basically.

Nope, love the Hitman series.

Hehe. That's better! A little context always helps :). Now I totally understand how you feel. I just can't get into Dragon Age Inquisition after playing the Witcher 3 for so long. It just feels like such a downgrade.

Yeah I can see how people could get turned off from the MGS franchise if you're not a big fan who has followed it from the beginning.

But I'm a huge Splinter Cell fanboy so I love stealth games no matter how bad the story might be, so MGS V was an easy decision :)

But don't give up. Play again one day when you have the time. You have to play 3 hours at a time. The attention to detail in this game is amazing. So much effort by the devs. I seriously respect them for this - 100 Little Details in Metal Gear Solid 5 That Will Blow Your Mind - IGN

I finished the first 2 Splinter Cell games and liked them too. Couldn't play the rest as my machine sucked back then, hehe. Also love the Hitman franchise, so stealth games are not a problem for me. It's just that the MGS games seem too confused to me, like they can't decide whether to be purely stealth or action or over the top "cinematic" with those loooong cut scenes. I have read the backstory and played Ground Zeroes and it's pretty obvious that Kojima just makes this **** up as he goes, so don't really feel any connection with the plot or the characters. But yeah, the game is technically brilliant and runs smooth as silk. Will give it a go again sometime. :)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Even if Kojima makes up the story as he goes, he has inadvertently created a huge ecosystem around the MGS series. The game's timeline stretches from late 1960s to far into the future.

sutta_boy

Broken In
Lmao at the guy who is hating MGS after playing the first mission. Go play wolfenstein if you like the wham-bam stuff more.

Top Bottom