MediaTek announces first true octa-core processor

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
MediaTek has officially announced the world's first true octa-core processor. The latest SoCs allows all the eight cores to run simultaneously, unlike the Samsung implementation, which can activate up to half of its CPU cores at once. The true octa-core processors offer you enhanced performance, power efficiency and improved user experience.
*cdn.gsmarena.com/vv/newsimg/13/07/mediatek-true-octa-core/gsmarena_001.jpg
The MediaTek true octa-core processor allocates processing power to different cores on per-application and per-task basis that gives the ultimate multi-tasking experience. The newest addition to the MediaTek SoCs comes with advanced web browsing feature that has the unique ability to allocate individual browser tabs to CPU cores.
The processor also has the ability to delegate user input to individual cores and renders 3D effects more smoothly and enhances the user interface. The multi-threaded programming in the processor enables improved video framerate processing, which gives superior gaming experiences.
Lastly, the octa processor has an efficient video playback feature that reduces that battery used for decoding HEVC FHD video by up to 18% when compared to the current quad-core processors. The octa-core solution also provides 20% more frames while on display mode.
Unfortunately, there is no word on the specifications and the launch date of the true octa-core processors.

MediaTek announces first true octa-core processor - GSMArena.com news

Nerevarine

Incarnate
MTK processors suck in comparison to Qualcomm offerings or Exynos, anyone who has used a desi or Chinese droid knows that.:yeahright:

thats not because of Mediatek in general but the overall build quality of china made phones..
MT6589 and MT6589T has GREAT price/Performance ratio BUT they arent the choice of proccys for good manufacturers..
If only sony could price Xperia C at a good price, im sure Mediatek would get the much needed attention its been lacking

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
Not to forget , its because of mediatek we have not lots of budget dual core, quad core which ultimately forced even established manufactures to lower prices of their phones.. though not really comparable but for a common man, dual core = dual core ..

Coldbreeze16

Journeyman
thats not because of Mediatek in general but the overall build quality of china made phones..
MT6589 and MT6589T has GREAT price/Performance ratio BUT they arent the choice of proccys for good manufacturers..
If only sony could price Xperia C at a good price, im sure Mediatek would get the much needed attention its been lacking

Methinks Huawei used them in a few of their offerings? And Huawei droids are not trash stuff.

Skyh3ck

Cyborg Agent
oh really, they are giving good compitiion to big names, and tey also perform good, the only thing is that many small companies are using their chips becoz it cheap, good for the market, so next year we wil see lots of octa core phones at 10k

funskar

Padawan
Get Ready to see Micromax Canvas 5 with dual octa core proccessor inside in competition to sammy s6:mrgreen:

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ lol. All seems well in paper but in real-time, i wonder how much battery it drains. And MT processors will never be my choice of proccy in a phone, until otherwise china invades india and force us to use it.

Coldbreeze16

Journeyman
^^:-D They can just bribe our politicians to do that instead of invading. But yeah battery life should be terrible, it's only for that reason Exynos doesn't use all 8.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
^^ lol. All seems well in paper but in real-time, i wonder how much battery it drains. And MT processors will never be my choice of proccy in a phone, until otherwise china invades india and force us to use it.

^Even if Xperia C were to be available at 15k ? :S

TBH, Mediatek is like AMD whereas Qualcomm is like Intel.. Qualcomm's Krait series offers great performance per core but not performance per price..
However, Mediatek offers slightly better performance per price even if it's quadcore vs dualcore..
(imagine FX6300 vs i3 3220, which one would you choose and why ?)

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness

TBH, Mediatek is like AMD whereas Qualcomm is like Intel.. Qualcomm's Krait series offers great performance per core but not performance per price..
However, Mediatek offers slightly better performance per price even if it's quadcore vs dualcore..

Yep. And no MT is not like AMD. I strongly disagree with that. I have a colleague of mine using Canvas, and which gives him lot of trouble with his day-to-day usage with little bit of gaming. Whereas my Burst, kick Canvas a$$ and far better in terms of performance. In Intel v AMD war, AMD loses in terms of performance, means by small margin where as with good pricing. Here with dead-cheap pricing, it completely lacks what you want from an 5 incher.

BTW Burst is DC and Canvas 2 HD is QC. So it is nothing like AMD.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Like i said earlier, Its not Mediatek's fault Canvas has bad build quality and bad optimisation..
take a look at Xperia C or Panasonic P51 review and you will understand what im talking about
even some of the lenovo based phones have better optimisation than crappy MMX
The only thing tho, that they MUST improve upon is pricing

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Like i said earlier, Its not Mediatek's fault Canvas has bad build quality and bad optimisation..
take a look at Xperia C or Panasonic P51 review and you will understand what im talking about
even some of the lenovo based phones have better optimisation than crappy MMX
The only thing tho, that they MUST improve upon is pricing
Whatever it is, MT will never be at par with Qualcomm range proccys.

Coldbreeze16

Journeyman

Very bad comparison. Just because AMD proccys are priced cheaper than Intel's overpriced siblings doesn't mean MediaTek can be compared to AMD. Remember there was a time AMD's proccys outdid Intel in both fields. And the very reason no company with good international standing uses MTK proccys is their poor build quality which would far outweigh that VFM factor. AMD's build quality has no flaws, it's superlative.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Very bad comparison. Just because AMD proccys are priced cheaper than Intel's overpriced siblings doesn't mean MediaTek can be compared to AMD. Remember there was a time AMD's proccys outdid Intel in both fields. And the very reason no company with good international standing uses MTK proccys is their poor build quality which would far outweigh that VFM factor. AMD's build quality has no flaws, it's superlative.

+infinity.

I already mentioned this in one of my post and for sure MTK will never be at par with it's competitor.

quagmire

Allllright !
MediaTek announces its MT8135 quad-core big.LITTLE MP chip with PowerVR series6 GPU

-Source

Against the competition:

*cdn01.androidauthority.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/MediaTek-MT8135-benchmark-645x368.jpg

Get ready for more desi phones and tablets running Mediatek. :wink:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Remember the cost per perfomance is somewhat more important than the performance per core or performance per clock speed..
That is where mediatek excels at, because it's virtually impossible for good manufacturers to add in a good qualcomm chipset into a budget device..
Think about the majourity of sub 10k phones, by sammy, sony , HTC, LG.. Do you think their chipsets stand a chance against similarly priced mediateks ?? Im not talking about the phones in general but the chipsets specifically...
And besides, every generation of mediatek processors have the same socket, meaning better compatibility for future upgrades (from the POV of a manufacturer)
Sure Mediatek will never outdo higher end qualcomm or nvidia tegra in terms of sheer power and performance but it sure can in the lower end segment
PS: I have never owned a mediatek, so im not a fanboy .. I believe mediatek deserves the attention its been lacking.. who knows maybe sammy will start adopting mtks instead of the crap cortex a5, its been putting in F**king 2013 devices :lol:

MediaTek announces its MT8135 quad-core big.LITTLE MP chip with PowerVR series6 GPU

-Source

Against the competition:

*cdn01.androidauthority.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/MediaTek-MT8135-benchmark-645x368.jpg

Get ready for more desi phones and tablets running Mediatek. :wink:

I stand by my statement that at the current price of the chipset, it is VERY VFM.. Again, I must stress that i mean the chipset not the current MMX crap

Get ready for more desi phones and tablets running Mediatek.
That's the catch.. If only sammy started working on mediatek.. :/

Last edited:

RON28

Cyborg Agent
those who are here saying negative things about Mediatek didn't saw a 6.2K mobile playing NOVA 3 and whereas a 10k mobile of sony and Samsung can't even play lagless temple run 2. Those who are here boosting about qualcomm and Exynos, check Xolo Q800 and ask yourself which one comes close to the performance of that handset from Exynos or Qualcomm.

About battery draining issues even high end phones struggle to for a day with normal usage, a Quad core Mediatek can last even a day and half considering its price and performance.

Coldbreeze16

Journeyman
That benchmark looks good, we'll see what it can do. I was thinking more in line of LG acquiring MTK and increase quality a little (not too much to skyrocket the costs) and they can give Sammy a good punch for money. I've always loved LG's droids. And don't expect Sammy to adopt MTK, they love $$$. Besides they can do their own fab.

those who are here saying negative things about Mediatek didn't saw a 6.2K mobile playing NOVA 3 and whereas a 10k mobile of sony and Samsung can't even play lagless temple run 2. Those who are here boosting about qualcomm and Exynos, check Xolo Q800 and ask yourself which one comes close to the performance of that handset from Exynos or Qualcomm.

About battery draining issues even high end phones struggle to for a day with normal usage, a Quad core Mediatek can last even a day and half considering its price and performance.

I only took umbrage against MTK being put in the same category as AMD. MTK sure gives customers more choice, so power to them. Peace

Top Bottom