MCA or M.Sc. IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruturaj3

Journeyman
Hi guys,
I hv given the TYBSc. IT exams. I waiting 4 the results.
I want to know which is the better option MCA or MSc.
I am interested in programming more rather than management subjects(so no MBA atleast now).

Also tell me which is good 4 job opportunies.
Sorry if i post in the wrong section but i posted here bcoz i think here most of people are doing masters degree.:)

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
And make sure you get whatever certifications the RIGHT way. In other words don't ever try to become a certified Idiot.

iinfi

mekalodu
i wud say work for a year in some decent company and then you will know where your interest lies and what u sud be for the corporate world to respect you.
Since you are a BSc IT you sud not have any trouble in getting into programming line somewhere.
get some work ex n then continue ur studies next year.

OP
ruturaj3

ruturaj3

Journeyman
Yes for doing MCA i hav to wait for 1 year to appear for the entrance exam.
Mean while i will to do a Certification.

I want to lean .NET. Can anyone give me more info. about certification related with it.

Also what is MCP ?
Is it related with any programming language.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
I want to lean .NET. Can anyone give me more info. about certification related with it.

Also what is MCP ?
Is it related with any programming language.

*www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/credential/default.mspx

OP
ruturaj3

ruturaj3

Journeyman
Is their any institute(in mumbai) which conducts the courses related with MS Certifications.

Also, is any body hav appeared for the MCTS exam ?

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
Go for MCA.. (M a BCA Student and will do MCA)
Every University's course is different but this will give u an idea
*www.ngu.ac.in/Academic/mca/mca.htm

Vishal Patil

Linux all the way
MCA is a better option than M.Sc.IT. One of my friends, has completed B.Sc.Comps and is now opting for MCA. Better get for MCA

Nadeem Shaikh

Right off the assembly line
Hi:lol:
I think u should go with MCA ,the mumbai university syllabus is nearly same ( around 70 % ) as BSC IT Course,.same changes in the syllabus have been introduced from previous year.
Also the other option would be to try for job and if after a year u feel like doing a degree see for it since the MCA course is of 3 years duration, which is a lot of time. :)

zegulas

Traceur
Well hello, I am determined to do a PhD in CS. Right now I am in SY BSc CS, so after BSc should I go for MCA or MSc? My interest is in Artificial Intelligence.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Ive seen this question asked among quite alot of folks so I'll tell what i tell my students as well. First of all lets look at the main differences.

1. Duration :- MSc is a 2 year course , MCA is a 3 year course.
2. Syllabus :- Well you don't have to be a rocket scientist to deduce that MCA has more subjects.
3. Intended Audience :- Most Universities require that MCA students either be a grad in Computer Science or mathematics. I don't believe there is a background check for MSc IT or at least not as restrictive as above.
4. Depth :- Most subjects are usually more in depth than those for MSc. IT students. However MCA programs tend to give you the additive burden of extra papers which won't usually be useful to a fresher in the field but are always good to know. An example, I have a paper called "Software Project Management". I have 3 books for this dreaded subject and its all about maintaining/running Projects in an organization. The chances of you getting a post for project management is near to nil and its nothing you can't understand if you read it yourself or after a few years of experience.
5 Job Options :- I tend to have a belief that there are quite more Job options out there for MCA's (Minimum requirements) but I see that trend changing now.

Of course these may vary from University to University so you might want to compare the syllabi's of both before taking the leap.

Now to the certifications part. I always freak out when I see people taking every other certification in their sight. Example look at this . (No offense meant to Pathik of course)

Do your MCA. AND get yourself some certifications like MCP, MCSE, CCNA, SCJP or whatever.

I think what he meant you should take whatever certifications which would enhance your interest in a certain field. Do not take every single one out there people. Rather focus on one branch on specialize in it. In time you could take others if you are interested.

MCP , MCSE -> System Administration
CCNA -> First step on to Cisco Certifications like CCIE etc. Mainly network configurations and design.
SCJP -> Programming

Instead of taking all the above I would have either gone for a MCP, MCSE, RHCE etc or CCNA, CCNP , CCIE. Anyway I believe that everyone understands my point.

Theres an excellent post by Steve Yegge on the Internet about how to get your resume updated and stuff. I recommend it as a read before you even start writing your resume. Some points are kind of extreme so use what you feel is good or whatever. Here is the link

This is only advice I feel is appropriate. I'm no expert of the field so if you feel I was wrong then just disregard the above.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom