Maximum How much capcity I can install Internal SATA HDD in Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkparsana

Broken In
Hi All,

I've laptop of HP Pavilion dv1624tn (dv1000 Series) and I bought it from India. Configuration is 1.6 GHz, Core Solo Processor, 1.5 GB of RAM (533 MHz) and all other basic features.

I'm planning to buy an Internal Hard Drive for my Laptop. I had Hitachi Travelstar 80 GB, SATA, 5400 RPM. Unfortunately it got some problem and not working at all, so I want to buy new one.

Now, the question is till how much capacity I can install the HDD in my laptop. My Motherboard is Mobile Intel 945GM Express Chipset.

I have searched in Intel website regarding the HDD till how much capacity I can install the HDD. However, I have tried the 160 GB which is working perfectly fine and all right. I'm planning to buy Western Digital Scorpio Blue Edition, 320 GB, 5400 RPM, SATA and which also gives me 3 Years warranty. Will it work in my Laptop ?

I just wanted to know till how much capcity I can install the HDD? From where I can know the Documentation which states about the HDD details??? As far as I know, it depends on the motherborad and according to that I have Intel 945 GM Express chipset in my laptop and which is not the old one.

Please guys, help me with this query. I will be greatful to you all.

Many thanks in advance.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
It will support the 320GB HDD.

The 945GM Chipset & ICH 7 can support as much as 128 PB or 131,072 TB of capacity :p

Last edited:
OP
N

nkparsana

Broken In
Thank You very very much for replying me so quickly...

You mean to say 128 TB or GB...??? and after 131...what is 072 ??? and that to be TB ??? Are you sure about this info ???

Please don't mind, I'm just asking as I am gng to buy new hard drive, so bit confused about this information...!!!

Please make it clear ASAP !!!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
No probs buddy :p

I mean Intel 945GM & ICH 7 can support 128PB=131072TB or 131072TB = 134217728GB HDD :p

But the highest capacity laptop hdd currently available in the market is 500GB.

So a 320GB laptop sata hdd will work for sure. Just buy it, install it & post the result.

Wish you all the best. :p

Last edited:
OP
N

nkparsana

Broken In
Thank you very very much for letting me know and clearing my doubts...really really appreciate...thanks a lot...

I didn't know tht 945GM and ICH7 supports till 131072 TB...!!! That's coolest feature ... by d way...how did u find out this information, if you do have anything about this ... please let me know.

I've ordered the Hard Drive from Amazon.co.uk as I'm in UK and will deliever on next Thursday or Friday and I'll definitely post the result over here...Once again thanks a lot for your information sharing with me...will add u sure in my friend's list in this thinkdigit.com forum.

Take Care.

OP
N

nkparsana

Broken In
Hello "Topgear" and other guys,

I got my Hard Drive on Monday and installed it in my Laptop and works beautifully and perfectly allright. Western Digital have such a nice HDDs as I also have one more External USB powered 250 GB, the Passport Edition. The internal HDD Scorpio Blue Edition 320 GB supports very well and I installed XP Professional SP2. Total capacity it gives me is 305 GB, rest I think so its reserved.

I have 3 Years warranty and in UK it supports very very well as I asked to some of my friends. You all guys helped me a lot so I'm very greatful to you all.

Thanking you once again. Will be in touch with you. Take care guys.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello "Topgear" and other guys,

I got my Hard Drive on Monday and installed it in my Laptop and works beautifully and perfectly allright. Western Digital have such a nice HDDs as I also have one more External USB powered 250 GB, the Passport Edition. The internal HDD Scorpio Blue Edition 320 GB supports very well and I installed XP Professional SP2. Total capacity it gives me is 305 GB, rest I think so its reserved.

I have 3 Years warranty and in UK it supports very very well as I asked to some of my friends. You all guys helped me a lot so I'm very greatful to you all.

Thanking you once again. Will be in touch with you. Take care guys.

Glad to here that you got your disk & it's just working fine as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom