Mass Effect 3 "Out of Memory" problem

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
While running ME3 sometimes when new levels are being loaded I get warning from windows that Mass Effect 3 is using a lot of memory (more than 6 GB) out of my 8GB. I can ignore that warning but then after sometime the game hangs. I checked in task manager and mass effect 3 executable uses around 6.5 GB RAM :evil:.
Has anybody has similar problem in ME3 and know the solution ?
BTW I'm using 8GB G.Skill 1600 MHz kit and have ME3 Origin version.

OP
mandarpalshikar

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
^^ Increasing VM will slow the system down as system will start using my SSD/HDD for paging. I would have done that if my Physical RAM was very less like 2GB or 4GB, but I'm having 8GB of it. My grahics card has 3GB of it :).
Does ME3 really takes more than 6.5GB of RAM ? I dont think any games uses that much amount of memory. If you have a copy of ME3 can you please check in task manager how much of memory is being occupied by its executable ? I can compare it with mine.

Ricky

Cyborg Agent
If you have disabled virtual memory then better enable it and increase it, it uses it even if you have lots of memory there is nothing bad in it, only less accessed / rarely accessed item will swap into disk (relative to your current session).

PS: 8GB is fine but not a lot of memory concerning todays applications, I too have 8GB and I am considering to go for 16GB .. atm I am just browsing and nothing else.. only 2.5GB is left out of 8GB .. what if I play game? , windows will need to swap RAM cache to disk cache .. hope you get my point.

OP
mandarpalshikar

mandarpalshikar

Why So Serious ???
Re: Mass Effect 3 "Out of Memory" problem

If you have disabled virtual memory then better enable it and increase it, it uses it even if you have lots of memory there is nothing bad in it, only less accessed / rarely accessed item will swap into disk (relative to your current session).

PS: 8GB is fine but not a lot of memory concerning todays applications, I too have 8GB and I am considering to go for 16GB .. atm I am just browsing and nothing else.. only 2.5GB is left out of 8GB .. what if I play game? , windows will need to swap RAM cache to disk cache .. hope you get my point.

This is not good memory utilisation by your system... you might be having some heavy sites open. When I play games, I always close all other apps so I am never in situations like this.
And BTW we are not discussing whether we should have VM enabled or disabled (I've it enabled and have 2048MB allocated to it). I have never faced problem with this config. Only ME3 is giving problem. I edit my clicks with Photoshop CS with heavy after effects and still never run ot of memory.

When one is using SSD as windows boot drive the recommendation always is to keep swap memory to minimum on the same drive. As having it extra on same SSD will reduce lifespan of your SSD and having it on normal secondary HDD will degrade the performance.

My concern is why ME3 is using 6.5 Gigs in my case ? Can anybody run it on their machines and post the memory consumption from task manager for mass efffect 3 executable please.
I suspect ME3 is causing memory leak.

Update :-

Got a sweet deal of 2.5k from my friend for another pair of G.Skill sniper 8GB kit (F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR) . So I'll be having 16GB from 2moro.

Top Bottom