Manipuri student beaten up in Bangalore for not speaking Kannada.

Gollum

Collector
@Gollum, I am surprisingly fascinated, not in the wrong or negative sense, to learn that you speak Konkani.
Ye aikun mhojea kallzak khub khuxallkai bhogli.
:thumbs: :high5:

CHeers,

Took me a while to read konkani written in english :p
its supposed to be my mother tongue but Hindi is my mother tongue.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know, but as long as there are more than 3 languages in a country, language based hostilities will persist.

It's mostly because people are distrustful of those who don't speak their language. Many of you might have known the feeling when someone starts talks to a third person in their own language while you are still present in that conversation. You don't know what they are talking about, they could be insulting you for all you know right under your nose.

The mentality for language based hostilities is probably similar. Couple that with excessive pride for ones state and you've got potential xenophobia for outsiders. They are lead to believe that their local culture is threatened by these outsiders who are already taking their jobs and now taking over their land. Even though we have the freedom to travel and settle any where in the country, some local people are still not so enthusiastic about it.

Similar cases have occurred in Mumbai with North Indians being on the receiving end. Only the agenda is a bit more political in nature.

True that,
For noth indians, all south indians are madrasis

- - - Updated - - -

Hindi is NOT our National language.
You know the pain when people argue about this here?

On the other hand at least three people in my office have asked me if I am from North India, due to the fluency of my Hindi. I am from South. so yea, we speak it just fine.

I get very offended when people insult Kannada or Karnataka. as a matter of fact Kannada isn't even my mother tongue.

I keep forgetting kannada, there are so many accents of it.
tale haad aagide :p

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
I was in Bangalore for around 3 years and I know Tamil,Telugu only. One fine day, after watching a movie late night, me and my friends returned to our home. On the way, we were talking about how crappy the movie was and suddenly 3 guys came in front of us and told us to speak in Kannada. We didn't say anything and we left. After taking few steps one came at us with an knife and by hair's distance I escaped. Since we outnumbered them, the other decided not to go ahead and he stopped that guy. Think what would have happened if we were just 2-3 people.

This is not happening always, but yes in a worrysome count IT IS happening. When they will come to their senses? No. Will it stop? No. If this one changed, a new one born. I am not hearing this is any other part of the country but Karnataka. Who's to blame? No idea.

If a drunken guy say this, does it make right? No. He didn't simply do it just because he is drunk. He did it because it was hiding inside him. Whatever it is, strict action needs to be taken(which I heavily doubt) in order to reduce these kind of incidents from happen anymore.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I was in Bangalore for around 3 years and I know Tamil,Telugu only. One fine day, after watching a movie late night, me and my friends returned to our home. On the way, we were talking about how crappy the movie was and suddenly 3 guys came in front of us and told us to speak in Kannada. We didn't say anything and we left. After taking few steps one came at us with an knife and by hair's distance I escaped. Since we outnumbered them, the other decided not to go ahead and he stopped that guy. Think what would have happened if we were just 2-3 people.

This is not happening always, but yes in a worrysome count IT IS happening. When they will come to their senses? No. Will it stop? No. If this one changed, a new one born. I am not hearing this is any other part of the country but Karnataka. Who's to blame? No idea.

If a drunken guy say this, does it make right? No. He didn't simply do it just because he is drunk. He did it because it was hiding inside him. Whatever it is, strict action needs to be taken(which I heavily doubt) in order to reduce these kind of incidents from happen anymore.

OMG! For real?

Personally I believe that people can say whatever they want to say and we can ignore it. But physical assault is not acceptable under any circumstance.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
OMG! For real?

Personally I believe that people can say whatever they want to say and we can ignore it. But physical assault is not acceptable under any circumstance.

Yes, for real. I stayed in BTM Layout and we went to mauthi nagar(only closest non-mall theatre for tamil movies) for movie and it happened. This is the main reason I avoided that theatre at night times and preferred malls like Forum/Gopalan for pure safety. I don't want to get into a fight, as it will do more harm than good. So we backed up instead of proceed further. :(

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been two years in Karnataka, never faced any problem. Most people here know Hindi anyway. This incident is an aberration.

I can manage Kannada now. Not fluent in anyway, but I understand most of it and I can speak after thinking a lot.

oh btw, North Indians need to emphasize on the the "da" and not pronounce it as "Kannad". I find that irritating.

Similar cases have occurred in Mumbai with North Indians being on the receiving end. Only the agenda is a bit more political in nature.
Before that South Indians were targetted.

"Lungi uthayo, pungi bajayo."

Bal Thackeray and the rise of Shiv Sena in Maharashtra : Bal Thackeray, News - India Today

moniker

Broken In
One of my friend posted this

*i.imgur.com/wvE1VL8.png

Your friend's analogy is flawed. Here wearing revealing clothes ~= not knowing Kannada. A section of people are accused for molesting women who wear revealing clothes. A section of kannadigas are accused for assaulting people for not knowing kannada. I don't find the accusation to be misplaced here.

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
My Engineering friend's always say that if they speak to the lab instructor in Kannada they go all calm and help you out,but if you speak in English, they don't give you any extension or anything

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Blaming a whole community based on the actions of few people is plain stupid.Ive been to Karnataka ,and I must say-that in my experience, the people there were nice and helpful,much better than some impolite ones from kerala(shots fired !!)
But people will always categorise you if you are from an another state ,like some of us stare at foreigners like they are aliens.IMO most of the people have that mindset that someone not originally from the state,doesnt really deserve to stay here.Few put their thoughts into action.

Last edited:

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Racism is not limited to Karnataka. Have seen racism countless times in my city too. Though once i recall the guys from north east confronted the racist and he ran away later :p . Oh and if you see the statistics of women being raped, most of the rape cases do not involve them wearing "revealing outfits". It happens to women wearing sarees equally. Lets not generalize.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your friend's analogy is flawed. Here wearing revealing clothes ~= not knowing Kannada. A section of people are accused for molesting women who wear revealing clothes. A section of kannadigas are accused for assaulting people for not knowing kannada. I don't find the accusation to be misplaced here.
Not really a section in the second case, is it?

Inceptionist

Journeyman
You have no idea of language politics in South India, do you? Things in Mumbai were never this bad, even when Shivsena was formed and Thackeray was considered as the leader by Marathi Mumbaikars.

Don't go by hype in media.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Sad BTW the content says "26 years old engineering student"

Really? Something wrong with news or information.

To this news focussing more about north east lets put some facts not told by media.

South and North indians experience racial attack in N.E as well.
I know my friends in places like meghalaya you cant come out after 6pm.You get robbed.
People beat you if you go out. But media wont report. Its a common thing in NE.

The problem is with National integration and cultural integration.

All north east states have special exemptions in consititution like
Article 371A,371B,371C,371F,371G,371H - Nagaland,Assam,Manipur,Sikkim,Mizoram,Arunachal

Crazy isn't it?
They have exclusive right for locals and no chance to become a domicile.
We can't buy land or settle in jobs (so no immigration from other states).
Special customary laws and personal laws.
and so much crazy exclusion in constituition of india .

Read this in Indian constitution and how these ppl enjoy in their state without immigration.

The same with Jammu and Goa (Article 370 and 371I).

Time to remove this discrimination in name of state and cleanup laws and constitution or no point arguing.

Now media painting kannadigas as bad is wrong. The need of hour is removing discrimination in the system and laws first.

hard_rock

Salieri Family
If we talk about generalizing a state based on few person's behavior, this is nothing compared to what other states are doing. Just because we hear lot of rape cases in Delhi does not mean all people in Delhi are rapists.

I have been to Chennai, Kerala and even Delhi. In Bangalore, atleast we can survive speaking hindi or any other south indian language, try that in Chennai. Trust me, I learnt tamil enough to manage my regular life -autos, buses, groceries when I was in Chennai.
I am not saying it is mandatory to learn.. but its our life, if we want to make it easier learn it and not whine about it.

In Delhi, I dont know why everybody used to ask me "am I madrasi?" as if I came to take their land. I speak Hindi fluently, which confused them how come I know hindi. That thought of "outsider" is there everywhere in India.

Being educated we are now open minded, but you cannot expect the same from others... If you are still defending your points rather than understanding how "India" is, and still expecting other people to change...It does not make you any different than those guys who attacked the student...

Most of my colleagues always group with their own language speaking friends no matter how hard we try to mingle with them. (not true for all..But most). If that racism or language based behavior is there in "educated" peoples mind, how can you expect "uneducated" people to understand.

I agree that what has happened is not acceptable, but this is how "India" is and not only karnataka. Lower class people will always be insecure and you cannot preach all this equality funda to them. This is true across all over India. Delhi rapes, Mumbai racism against Biharis..Atleast bangalore is last in this area..

Being an "educated" person, we need to understand how "India" is and either we try to "adjust" to the place by learning a bit of language or "quit" whining about it.. Try to "BE A ROMAN IN ROME!" and stop pointing fingers..

Top Bottom