Manipuri student beaten up in Bangalore for not speaking Kannada.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we talk about generalizing a state based on few person's behavior, this is nothing compared to what other states are doing. Just because we hear lot of rape cases in Delhi does not mean all people in Delhi are rapists.

I have been to Chennai, Kerala and even Delhi. In Bangalore, atleast we can survive speaking hindi or any other south indian language, try that in Chennai. Trust me, I learnt tamil enough to manage my regular life -autos, buses, groceries when I was in Chennai.
I am not saying it is mandatory to learn.. but its our life, if we want to make it easier learn it and not whine about it.

In Delhi, I dont know why everybody used to ask me "am I madrasi?" as if I came to take their land. I speak Hindi fluently, which confused them how come I know hindi. That thought of "outsider" is there everywhere in India.

Being educated we are now open minded, but you cannot expect the same from others... If you are still defending your points rather than understanding how "India" is, and still expecting other people to change...It does not make you any different than those guys who attacked the student...

Most of my colleagues always group with their own language speaking friends no matter how hard we try to mingle with them. (not true for all..But most). If that racism or language based behavior is there in "educated" peoples mind, how can you expect "uneducated" people to understand.

I agree that what has happened is not acceptable, but this is how "India" is and not only karnataka. Lower class people will always be insecure and you cannot preach all this equality funda to them. This is true across all over India. Delhi rapes, Mumbai racism against Biharis..Atleast bangalore is last in this area..

Being an "educated" person, we need to understand how "India" is and either we try to "adjust" to the place by learning a bit of language or "quit" whining about it.. Try to "BE A ROMAN IN ROME!" and stop pointing fingers..
Great post.

tkin

Back to school!!
My friend works in ISRO, he confirmed this himself, he said that public transport workers like Bus conductors are very abusive of people who cannot speak kannada.

ravi847

Journeyman
As far as the people who say that the natives should learn Hindi - "You come to my house, you have my food and water, you sleep in my bed and you command that I learn your language? Get out!."
what do you mean by your house and your bed?
Its not like you own Karnatka or something.
It is an integral part of India and you guys seriously need to understand that!!!

And also whoever thinks they will be treated the same by speaking Kannada forget it..My uncle works for bangalore government and he speaks fluent Kannada and yet faces discrimination on a daily basis.
Young people are mostly cool though except a few ...Its mostly the grown ups and old people

doomgiver

Warframe
My friend works in ISRO, he confirmed this himself, he said that public transport workers like Bus conductors are very abusive of people who cannot speak kannada.

those people are the scum. like, literally.
uneducated, boorish. its not just in karnataka, you'll find these kind of people everywhere.

the best way to deal with this is to properly educate children from an early age and to impart upon them knowledge and manners.

ssdivisiongermany1933

Still in war with allies
in North east they don't beat the migrants they just kill them......................in 2000's Bodos killed a lot bihari -UP migrant but Karma is a ***** , Now Bangladeshi migrants are pouncing the bodos and Assamese

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Something stupid happened today.

*twitter.com/ashwinsid/status/528534874768961537

*twitter.com/ashwinsid/status/528534424967577601

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ The exact kind of thing which is a threat to unity. And they are building Statue of Unity. -_-

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
People get into fights for various reasons..And then finally, the locals enrage in kannada and saying outsider, speak in kannada! protecting their territory, all from the genes. Nothing unusual here.. pretty normal.

happens even in the most posh localities, if the other person doesn't know kannada!
bus, parking lots to Armani shops!

Example, at a movie theater queue!
A nicely dressed lady gets put aside coz she is searching her for confirmation, then some guy goes in... b1tch gets enraged and says few stuff,we say STFU b1tch.. then she says speak in kannada!

unfortunately for her,we turned out to be local college students that triumph in kannada trash talking..LOL.. damn she was angry.

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
People get into fights for various reasons..And then finally, the locals enrage in kannada and saying outsider, speak in kannada! protecting their territory, all from the genes. Nothing unusual here.. pretty normal.

happens even in the most posh localities, if the other person doesn't know kannada!
bus, parking lots to Armani shops!

Example, at a movie theater queue!
A nicely dressed lady gets put aside coz she is searching her for confirmation, then some guy goes in... b1tch gets enraged and says few stuff,we say STFU b1tch.. then she says speak in kannada!

unfortunately for her,we turned out to be local college students that triumph in kannada trash talking..LOL.. damn she was angry.

Plot twist :lol:

Alok

Adventurer
Oh GOD and I was completely unaware of this kind of language discrimination in our country. Thanks to this thread, I'll stay alert. I'm moving to Coimbatore next week, I was thinking about that if english work there or not. But after reading all this I can't think at all.
Seriously, Even I never imagined that there can be such kind of discrimination WTF.
Better I hope to find some good company in train.

So how many and which states are sick of this decease ? What about PUNE ? I'm going to live in Pune for about two years.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ You are coming to my city next week? I am also staying in Coimbatore. And this thing is not common for all place. And I can say this safely, that Tamil Nadu is better in this aspect compared to Kerala/Karnataka. No idea about Pune.

Alok

Adventurer
^^ yes and I was thinking to roam around city to see its culture but after reading this I'm thinking to stay at the Coimbatore Junction :-(

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^ Coimbatore is the safest and peaceful city in TN next to Chennai IMO. I have lived in a lot of places and find Coimbatore a lot better and peaceful. So don't worry about it.

Rajat Giri

Journeyman
Don't worry [MENTION=118706]Alok[/MENTION] Pune is safest city. I have lived there and find it a lot better than any other city.

Alok

Adventurer
[MENTION=47611]furious_gamer[/MENTION] Thank you mate, your words reduced my headache :thumbs:
[MENTION=147820]Rajat Giri[/MENTION] Thanks mate. I'm going there for two years.

I never visited south and was excited about going there, to interact with people there, making some friends. I found it interesting to have tourist in our city. I personally feel very happy when I talk someone who don't know Hindi and belong to some other country or state. I thought everyone think like this but this kind of thinking is beyond my imagination.
Anyway nice to know something new.

Last edited:
Top Bottom