Mandriva 2009.0 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Downloaded at last. I started download when it released, but bad servers, worse internet and horrible torrent-client ensured that I finished downloading it only around half an hour back, using transmission (which sucks compared to deluge which got screwed due to lxde).

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Does deluge has "preferences to adjust the size of the disk cache"?

as last time i used it, Deluge does not have a cache (or, if it does, it's absurdly small), so reads and writes to the hard disk in it are a bit crazy, and will kill your hard disk faster

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
deluge kinda feels bloated and inconsistent now, and interferes with some apps.
Better stick to another clients, for now am on Transmission....NOT

Ohh...well I'm back to vuze 4 :D
*i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/th_Screenshot-Vuze.jpg

Last edited:

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Ok.. so i installed the Mandriva One GNOME edition and found out that the multimedia support is crippled.. but how do i enable the multimedia support in this damn system.. its not easy as ubuntu.. I've been trying that for over and hournow and still no success.. i've installed Mplayer which plays all the files but still i want Totem to playback them as it does in Ubuntu.. Darky.. dude.. i need your help..

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
deluge kinda feels bloated and inconsistent now, and interferes with some apps.
Better stick to another clients, for now am on Transmission....NOT

Ohh...well I'm back to vuze 4 :D
rTorrent and a reminder on your terminal asking you to screen -r it every 3-4 hours or so to monitor and control the queues :))

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
yup am using rTorrent now. Its damn cool. Better with data verification.
Btw it doesn't work with ntfs-3g mounted paritions, i mean data can't be written to that. Am using ext3 partition for dload :p

*i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/th_Screenshot-rtorrenthe.jpg

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Ok.. so i installed the Mandriva One GNOME edition and found out that the multimedia support is crippled.. but how do i enable the multimedia support in this damn system.. its not easy as ubuntu.. I've been trying that for over and hournow and still no success.. i've installed Mplayer which plays all the files but still i want Totem to playback them as it does in Ubuntu.. Darky.. dude.. i need your help..

Okies you want totem . .Add these repo *easyurpmi.zarb.org/ click on add plf repos and open it with what FF recommends..

After that open Terminal and do thes
Code:
urpmi win32-codecs
urpmi libdvdcss2
urpmi real-codecs

That will do the job :) For more query please post.. I am using SMplayer and I loved it :) Do try it also :)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Btw it doesn't work with ntfs-3g mounted paritions, i mean data can't be written to that. Am using ext3 partition for dload :p
Use a more recent version along with a kernel version >=2.6.26. mmap support is available in it and thus it'll work. :)

Sathish

Debian Gnu/Linux User
hi friends..
i have an strange problem while installing mandriva 2009.
i hav downloaded mandriva 2009 i586 KDE iso..
after i hit enter key at mandriva boot menu, the installation hanged with following error.

"audit (12249266387,755.65328); audid:429497295 ses=4294967296
op=remove.rule key=(null) list =1 res =1"

plzz guide..

i have already installed and uninstalled Mandriva 2008 successfully
my config:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
2GB DDR RAM
7300 GT

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
@Darky.. thanx man.. that helped.. one last thing.. some of the features in Compiz Fusion are not available.. i mean like.. Burn effect.. can you please guide me how to add them?

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
*www.imgx.org/thumbs/large/25055_7odn4/Add%20Remove.png
Yea yea .. Open Add remove .. Now Do the settings done in Screenshot under black border and search compiz..

Install Compiz Plugin Extra and Unsupported , that will install most of the thing :smile:

Regards

@Darky: You have used both Ubuntu and Mandriva right ? How easy is it to implement mandriva in a linux n00b's rig which runs vista and has broadband ?

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
^^Look . Mandriva advantage is that it has fixed repos.. not like ubuntu ppa which varies from packages.. URPMI is a bit slower than apt but work well.. Wait for 2009.0 version..

As far as noob rig. KDE 4.1 still doesn't make up to it ! So if you want install gnome version rather :) I would recommend Mandriva over Ubuntu anyday !

^^Look . Mandriva advantage is that it has fixed repos.. not like ubuntu ppa which varies from packages..
What ? :confused:

URPMI is a bit slower than apt but work well..
n00b rig => GUI. Synaptic equivalent ?

Wait for 2009.0 version..
I have mandriva one kde4 int 2009 live CD

As far as noob rig. KDE 4.1 still doesn't make up to it !
good. n00bs don't deserve KDE's beautiful interface.

So if you want install gnome version rather :)
Another download to my multiget queue :(

I would recommend Mandriva over Ubuntu anyday !
yeah. ubuntu is too unstable these days. I hope mandriva is more stable.

and yeah, for offline n00bs, is there an aptoncd equivalent ?

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Look. If you want a newer software in Ubuntu you rely on default repos.. Isn't it ? now if you are a Hardy user you still cannot install banshee 1 .. To install you have to install Banshee Repo from Launchpad known as PPA.. While Mandriva has fixed number of repos.. These updates the software itself irrespective the version of distro you are using :)

rpmdrake = urpmi GUI front is as good as Synaptic .. though you can only search by application name not by description !

KDE 4 is good but it have bloated / pre-released s/w like Amarok 2 Beta 2 , no K3b [ its pre alpha] and these kind of unstable s/w will get on noob nerves. So better install Gnome atm.. Installing KDE 3 apps on KDE 4 doesn't make sense as it like installing KDE 3 all overs.. So better stick to Gnome

AptOn CD I really didn't came across a similar s/w yet for rpm ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom