Mandrake 10.1 and FC4 hangs in the beginning of installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnpandya

Broken In
I have recently purchased a system with P4 2.66 GHz (1 MB L2 Cache, 64-bit support), 512 MB RAM, Intel D915GLVG m/b, 80 GB SATA HDD. My old HDD (Seagate 40 GB) is also connected as IDE primary master. I've installed WinXP on SATA HDD.

I want to install Mandrake 10.1 on my old HDD. But during detection of hardware in the beginning itself, the system hangs. The same happens with FC4 also. Both the distros worked with my old configuration (P3 550 MHz, 256 MB RAM, Intel i810 m/b) on the same IDE HDD without any problem. What is wrong with this? Can anybody suggest any remedy?

mediator

Technomancer
U said u purchased system recently!! So its possible manddrake doesnt support some of ur PC components like graphic card!
U may try suse 9.3 or mandrake 10.2, they r new so they may support ur system!
Neway FC4 shud have worked!
When i installed FC4 it stuck up on like 15% for some time. I thought it hanged but suddenly it jumped to 82%...

praka123

left this forum longback
FC 4 got a small problem with 915Exprss chpset.for FC4 to
install in DVD's boot prompt type something like linux sdesdfs
then enter.then type linux mediacheck and go through the instlln.for mandrake you may choose some options like vesa
grphx drivers etc.

OP
J

jnpandya

Broken In
Hi Prakash,
Thanks for your suggestions. FC4 still hangs after some time of starting installation. I installed Mandrake 10.1 with option "alt1" at the installation boot prompt. It was installed without problem with vesa graphics drivers, but when I boot into linux, I get something like "Kernal syncing failed..." sort of message. What to do now?

praka123

left this forum longback
Check this for FC4 915G Fixes:
*www.linuxforu.com/yabbse/index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=1261

cyberia.in

In the zone
I seem to have a somewhat different problem, and it happens with almost all distros i've tried. The following is a screenshot from Fedora 3 (PCQLinux). In ubuntu, the last thing i see is

*img179.imageshack.us/img179/8855/290920054de.th.jpg

"Mounting Hotplug Subsystem"

Mandrake 10.1 hangs as soon as the blue install screen comes up. I've tried running the system on just internal gfx (empty PCI & AGP), but to no avail. Please help. And sorry if i've posted in the wrong place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom