Manage internet connections through modem

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
I recently got trouble with OpenDNS. They give terrible page load times for me. OpenDNS claims to block unsafe websites, which I thought it do when I was using it. But what it gives me now is a long wait for page loading.

sometimes it's down(experienced) but it has the filtering abilities or could consider this too 6 DNS services protect against malware and other unwanted content | Computerworl

tried norton and it blocks well.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
"reset to OOB " resets the WPS state to “unconfigured”-default PIN I assume
You can view the wifi password from the router page(192.168.0.1 / 192.168.1.1 (whichever works)) I recommend to turn off WPS , read more below
WPS: Wi-FI Protected Setup (WPS) is Insecure: Here’s Why You Should Disable I

Further, you can install Ad Block Plus(ABP) (there are fake ones be careful and check the name properly before installing) on Firefox and Chrome to block those unnecessary ads which help children to go into the big sea, ad to ad, to ad to so on like that
even AdAway app is available for rooted android phones, blocks ads on android like a Pro!(I use it)

The Domain Name System (aka DNS) is used to resolve human-readable hostnames like Googl into machine-readable IP addresses like 204.13.248.115(which is difficult to remember for every site). DNS also provides other information about domain names, such as mail services.

many ISP do not care about filtration except some and get cursed by people for blocking sites

so when you put the dns servers I suggested
no need to manually filter sites.If you want to manually filter, there is a version where you open a account with OpenDNS and then it gives you history of pages visited, and the filtration level(categories), and many more
Web Content Filtering and Security : OpenDNS

Thanks brother. Disabled WPS. Now that app cannot even search my wifi. Thanks a lot. How to geek is a great read. Furthermore Adblock, the official one is installed everywhere except kids's smartphones. Regarding DNS, I will give it a try and will get back to you.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
[MENTION=138043]kARTechnology[/MENTION] [MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION] [MENTION=73293]meetdilip[/MENTION]
Bade Bhaiyo,
We have got a new system with very low specs for typing stuff with windows xp. I connected the system via lan cable to the modem, but it is not acquiring ip address and dns server automatically it just shows a yellow sign which says limited or no connectivity. If I manually enter the ip stuff like-
ip address-192.168.1.102,3,4,5,6,7....
subnet mask- 255.255.255.0
default gateway- 192.168.1.1

preferred dns server- 202.56.215.54
alternate dns server- 202.56.215.55

It gets connected but we are not able to open any websites. We have another system with xp. It gets ip automatically sometimes 102,103,104,105 etc. we don't have to enter any details manually and I can block the internet in the same using the replies posted in this thread. What's the issue with the new system and kindly guide to fix this. Thanks.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
[MENTION=138043]kARTechnology[/MENTION] [MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION] [MENTION=73293]meetdilip[/MENTION]

The problem was with the adapter, something was wrong with it. The guy who assembled the pc, reconnected some wires and it is working. He manually entered the ip- 192.168.1.121 and all the other details as mentioned in the last post. Now I have selected obtain ip automatically option but it is still showing ip as 192.168.1.121 only. I have tried release and renew ip commands in cmd but the ip is not changing. What should I do?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
For a typical home network internal IP usually don't change unless some new device connects & some old device is off.Why should it matter anyway as it is of no concern to a typical home network?

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
For a typical home network internal IP usually don't change unless some new device connects & some old device is off.Why should it matter anyway as it is of no concern to a typical home network?

In our modem the ip's are designated in the order the devices were being connected to wifi, the first device 100, then 102, 103, 104 and so on. It does not matter, but just for knowledge if we have selected to select ip automatically then why is it sticking to .121?

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
What is the ip range in dhcp settings of router?Is .121 there in the range?if yes then check if there is some ip address reservation rule binding .121 ip to that particular pc mac address.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
What is the ip range in dhcp settings of router?Is .121 there in the range?if yes then check if there is some ip address reservation rule binding .121 ip to that particular pc mac address.

I am not seeing any particular rule brother, here's the ss-
*oi63.tinypic.com/25p3jpv.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is most likely because router usually gives IP in order & once an IP is allotted it is changed usually only when router thinks it is needed.In this case max devices connected is not even crossing 10 so router doesn't feel any need to change once allotted .121 ip as it will first finish .101 to .120 ip addresses.To make router feel the need to change this ip you have to connect at least 21 devices.Or you can manually assign a ip like .105 then change it back to auto to see if router now assigns it a new ip or still the old .121.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Did that but after switching to automatically select ip etc. it again switches back to .121 IDK why that system likes .121. Don't have 20 devices to connect dear so won't be able to do that.

It is most likely because router usually gives IP in order & once an IP is allotted it is changed usually only when router thinks it is needed.In this case max devices connected is not even crossing 10 so router doesn't feel any need to change once allotted .121 ip as it will first finish .101 to .120 ip addresses.To make router feel the need to change this ip you have to connect at least 21 devices.Or you can manually assign a ip like .105 then change it back to auto to see if router now assigns it a new ip or still the old .121.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
[MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION]

I read on the internet that this thing happens when some wrong rule gets embedded into the firmware of the adapter or the driver is messed up. I don't think that should be the case. Your advice dear?

Top Bottom