Manage internet connections through modem

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Hello Friends,

We have a TP Link modem at home. It connects to two pc's via lan and to several devices via wifi. Since the exam season is on, can we block access to one pc connected via lan and few devices connected via wifi say when the kids are supposed to be studying their rooms? The changing of password everytime is not an option.

Regards

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Hello Friends,

We have a TP Link modem at home. It connects to two pc's via lan and to several devices via wifi. Since the exam season is on, can we block access to one pc connected via lan and few devices connected via wifi say when the kids are supposed to be studying their rooms? The changing of password everytime is not an option.

Regards

you can control each and every device once you use MAC address filtering. What's the model number?
can control connection or speed too.

I use bandwidth limiting to other than predefined IP's so that my friends do not eat away all the FUP @ 40MBPS but at 1Mbps.
So in my case all DHCP assigned IP's/ range of auto assigned IPs will have a 1MBPS only.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect

you can control each and every device once you use MAC address filtering. What's the model number?
can control connection or speed too.

I use bandwidth limiting to other than predefined IP's so that my friends do not eat away all the FUP @ 40MBPS but at 1Mbps.
So in my case all DHCP assigned IP's/ range of auto assigned IPs will have a 1MBPS only.

My college bought a whole lot of TP link's TD-W8951ND model. I got one for myself at a very low price, even though the model is outdated but the price was very low so I went for it. Now how exactly to do MAC address filtering? We need to stop internet connection at home for some devices. Limiting speed might be of help in the college.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
My college bought a whole lot of TP link's TD-W8951ND model. I got one for myself at a very low price, even though the model is outdated but the price was very low so I went for it. Now how exactly to do MAC address filtering? We need to stop internet connection at home for some devices. Limiting speed might be of help in the college.
How to use Parental Control function on Wireless N router? - Welcome to TP-LIN

its detailed with pics.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
No Parental control option in our router's configuration page.

I hope the user interface of your router is like this: *www.tp-link.com/resources/document/TD-W8951ND_V6_UG.pdf

in page 77 there is URL filter which you can use to block internet.

if using adsl line:
whats ur ISP? generally if you use PPPoE to connect, you can remove the isp given password and username in router / modem and use it manually in individual pc's for connection. and only u will know the password. generally old-BSNL folks setup like this.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I hope the user interface of your router is like this: *www.tp-link.com/resources/document/TD-W8951ND_V6_UG.pdf

in page 77 there is URL filter which you can use to block internet.

if using adsl line:
whats ur ISP? generally if you use PPPoE to connect, you can remove the isp given password and username in router / modem and use it manually in individual pc's for connection. and only u will know the password. generally old-BSNL folks setup like this.

Thanks dear. Was able to find that option taking guide from the pdf. Regarding few things I am still confused. First how to block/restrict full internet access to a pc connected via lan and a wireless device using mac? I can get the mac id's of both. Second I filtered a website, just to check it, via the same filter but it is still opening-

*oi65.tinypic.com/ns5kh.jpg

We are using SHITtel, unfortunately our area is not that much developed and they are the only ISP in our area. By password & username did you mean bridge mode? If yes then we don't want to go for it, we only want to block/restrict internet when the kids should be studying.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Thanks dear. Was able to find that option taking guide from the pdf. Regarding few things I am still confused. First how to block/restrict full internet access to a pc connected via lan and a wireless device using mac? I can get the mac id's of both. Second I filtered a website, just to check it, via the same filter but it is still opening-

*oi65.tinypic.com/ns5kh.jpg

We are using SHITtel, unfortunately our area is not that much developed and they are the only ISP in our area. By password & username did you mean bridge mode? If yes then we don't want to go for it, we only want to block/restrict internet when the kids should be studying.

pg 75 in pdf / 67 on the pdf's printed page (4.5.2.2
MAC Filter )
To add a MAC Address filtering entry:
For example:
If you want to block the PCs with
MAC addresses 00:0A:EB:00:07:BE and
00:0A:EB:00:07:5F to access the Internet, ....

meetdilip

Computer Addict
In Wireless section ( mostly ), you will find an option called " MAC filtering ". Simply use " Deny " for IPs/devices you do not want to get connected.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
pg 75 in pdf / 67 on the pdf's printed page (4.5.2.2
MAC Filter )

In Wireless section ( mostly ), you will find an option called " MAC filtering ". Simply use " Deny " for IPs/devices you do not want to get connected.

I added my phone's MAC id to test it, but the internet is not being blocked. Check this-

*oi65.tinypic.com/2rx78qp.jpg

I have checked it with rule unmatched>>next and forward both. What am I doing wrong here?

meetdilip

Computer Addict
Normally there will be 3 options in modem for MAC filter

1. Allow

Will allow wifi to connect only to the list of MAC ID added

2. Deny

Will deny wifi connection to added MAC IDs

3. Disabled

No MAC filter in place

MAC filter, I guess will work on Wireless only

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Normally there will be 3 options in modem for MAC filter

1. Allow

Will allow wifi to connect only to the list of MAC ID added

2. Deny

Will deny wifi connection to added MAC IDs

3. Disabled

No MAC filter in place

MAC filter, I guess will work on Wireless only

Check this photo

The mac id is of my phone but it is not blocking any internet in the phone and it is wireless.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
I added my phone's MAC id to test it, but the internet is not being blocked. Check this-

I have checked it with rule unmatched>>next and forward both. What am I doing wrong here?
did you set Direction Outgoing"?

tagging [MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION] for help.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
did you set Direction Outgoing"?

tagging [MENTION=126812]whitestar_999[/MENTION] for help.

Yesterday the direction was set to both, right now I changed it to outgoing but it is still working. I tried to filter some non-children friendly websites the other day but they were also not getting blocked.

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Yesterday the direction was set to both, right now I changed it to outgoing but it is still working. I tried to filter some non-children friendly websites the other day but they were also not getting blocked.
do you have other than
“PVC0” Interface in the list

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
Pvc1-Pvc7 & Lan.

ooo try them!
there will be one menu where u get a list of those.
most probably pvc7, It's very difficult to tell without seeing the router page :(
In Dlink it is present under status, so do check it you get a list but for one pvc(#1-7) there will be ip-address where are rest will be blank. that one is the correct one

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
ooo try them!
there will be one menu where u get a list of those.
most probably pvc7, It's very difficult to tell without seeing the router page :(
In Dlink it is present under status, so do check it you get a list but for one pvc(#1-7) there will be ip-address where are rest will be blank. that one is the correct one

I tried pvc1-pvc6 & lan but still no internet block. When I selected pvc7 and tried to save it, I got this error-

*oi63.tinypic.com/35hnv5w.jpg What does this mean?

Now check these-

*oi68.tinypic.com/dwp7qg.jpg

*oi66.tinypic.com/6eeu6r.jpg

*oi63.tinypic.com/1z1bmsw.jpg

You can see the router page in the screenshots. If there's any specific page/option that you want to see then please let me know. Are the rest of the options selected allright? Please note that the filter option didn't block sites also. IDK what's wrong.

Update-

After much hassle I was able to get the only pc connected via lan to the router down
*oi66.tinypic.com/30n87tl.jpg

What I did was, set mac filter set and rule index to 1, it was set by mistake to 2 also and interface to pvc0
*oi68.tinypic.com/2iu957d.jpg

Now I am not able to delete the same from set and rule index 2
*oi68.tinypic.com/2nvfce8.jpg
How to delete it from 2?

And still not able to make it work for wireless devices. Will try it for the kids pc's asap.

Last edited:

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
I tried pvc1-pvc6 & lan but still no internet block. When I selected pvc7 and tried to save it, I got this error-

*oi63.tinypic.com/35hnv5w.jpg What does this mean?

Now check these-

*oi68.tinypic.com/dwp7qg.jpg

*oi66.tinypic.com/6eeu6r.jpg

*oi63.tinypic.com/1z1bmsw.jpg

You can see the router page in the screenshots. If there's any specific page/option that you want to see then please let me know. Are the rest of the options selected allright? Please note that the filter option didn't block sites also. IDK what's wrong.

Update-

After much hassle I was able to get the only pc connected via lan to the router down
*oi66.tinypic.com/30n87tl.jpg

What I did was, set mac filter set and rule index to 1, it was set by mistake to 2 also and interface to pvc0
*oi68.tinypic.com/2iu957d.jpg

Now I am not able to delete the same from set and rule index 2
*oi68.tinypic.com/2nvfce8.jpg
How to delete it from 2?

And still not able to make it work for wireless devices. Will try it for the kids pc's asap.

pic1: that means that interface is not used / empty / not configured
pic2:
PVC0 interface lets ur modem go to the internet..that table ends there and that it, does nto give any other info.
if wifi devices are connected then only that list of connected devices will show.
firmware can be upgraded if you wish. but if you are not facing any problems now it is better you DO NOT as new firmware have their own problems sometimes
*www.tp-link.com/en/download/TD-W8951ND_V6.html#Firmware please select correct hardware version if you wish to.

After much hassle I was able to get the only pc connected via lan to the router down no it looks like the connection is down, I think the net will not work on any device when it this is like this.

set rule unmatched= next

to delete the 2nd index, set ip / mac filter set index to 2 and then click delete

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
pic2:
PVC0 interface lets ur modem go to the internet..that table ends there and that it, does nto give any other info.
if wifi devices are connected then only that list of connected devices will show.
firmware can be upgraded if you wish. but if you are not facing any problems now it is better you DO NOT as new firmware have their own problems sometimes
Download for TD-W8951ND V6 - Welcome to TP-LIN please select correct hardware version if you wish to.

After much hassle I was able to get the only pc connected via lan to the router down no it looks like the connection is down, I think the net will not work on any device when it this is like this.

set rule unmatched= next

to delete the 2nd index, set ip / mac filter set index to 2 and then click delete

Any need to use/configure it, so that pvc7 also appears in the table?

PVC0 nterface lets ur modem go to the internet..that table ends there and that it, does nto give any other info.

If pvc0 lets the modem connect to the internet and we fill in the mac id of a device on the filter page, then why does it block the internet in all devices rather than in the saved mac id's device?

Yes true that. It doesn't solve the purpose. The question still stands how to block internet on devices connected wirelessly and with lan with mac ids known and not the internet on every device.

set rule unmatched= next
If I select next in rule unmatched then nothing happens.

Tried that last night itself itself but nothing happens. Check this-
*oi68.tinypic.com/34pdovd.jpg

*oi63.tinypic.com/2l9qqna.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom