Man of Steel (movie) - 2013

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i was expecting this from the moment i first saw the trailer.i don't know about others but if i am going to see a top tier DC superhero in always a grim mood with heavy atmosphere i expect it to be batman not superman.still i too am going to watch this movie but as far as entertainment is concerned i know it has a little chance of reaching the same level of avengers unless it reaches/near the seriousness level of dark knight which again i know is not possible.well i have better hopes for pacific rim now & these are the only 2 movies i am going to watch this year anyway.

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
i was expecting this from the moment i first saw the trailer.i don't know about others but if i am going to see a top tier DC superhero in always a grim mood with heavy atmosphere i expect it to be batman not superman.still i too am going to watch this movie but as far as entertainment is concerned i know it has a little chance of reaching the same level of avengers unless it reaches/near the seriousness level of dark knight which again i know is not possible.well i have better hopes for pacific rim now & these are the only 2 movies i am going to watch this year anyway.

MoS pisses on Avengers in terms of action. MoS is a good entertainer is you're looking for smiles and arse-kicking.

OP
cyborg47

cyborg47

Technomancer
Nope, it was Goyer.

They should bring in someone who writes comics like Geoff Johns and I hate to say it, but lose Snyder for the sequel.

Geoff Johns? you mean the guy who co-wrote Green Lantern? Oh that movie was awesome really /s

So its okay for a Superman to sit in his icy cave for 12 years, spoon fed everything from Jor El, and suddenly become a perfectionist who keeps smiling like a clown? Here's a bit of my re-rant.,

1. Critics aren't as open minded as you think they are, its in their nature to be arrogant. They rate the movies well if it only plays with their rules, show them anything they're not interested, they'll hate it. Its never possible for them to rate movies on their own merit. They obsess themselves with an idea of a movie before watching it, and if the movie is anything different, they rate them bad, and rant about it in a $hittiest way possible, that's exactly what's happening the the negative reviews of Man of Steel, observe the pattern in all of them.

2. Majority of the negative reviews I've read so far, are written by donner fanboys, you can clearly see it when they are so hell bent on flat out comparing it to Superman 1978. I'd talked about this in the previous post. For them, the only way they picture superman, is Christopher Reeve, massive respect for him, but its only one of the interpretations of Superman. Clearly, from the negative reviews, they are not interested in seeing anything that goes away from Reeve's version, so you might want to think again before giving them any credibility in terms of reviews.

3. Critics hate Zack Snyder, Period. Because he doesn't make movies for them, he makes movies as an art form. Whereas the critics, hate anything that isn't memento, or anything that's not conventional. So expect them to hate it even before they enter the theater.

4. As for the complaints on pacing or script, there were a ton of people that complained the quick cuts and pacing in Batman Begins and TDK. Does that make both of those movies mediocre? Not at all, good thing about the general audience is that they get used to new stuff, they're more open about it. But Critics on the other side, they have to stick to what's already considered good and criticize anything that's the opposite of it, their job demands them to.

/Rant

My point is, its a story of Kal El/Clark Kent becoming Superman (Use the '12 year span in Superman 1978' as a reference). Its not the Superman who becomes what he is just by getting some humanity classes from his bio papa. Its the journey, why the responsibility, the suit, the remorse Clark goes through. We all know the perfect Superman, but he does have to go through the bad things to become perfect. Quoting the line from TDK "The night is darkest just before the dawn. And I promise you, the dawn is coming." Think of it in that way, and we have a perfect Superman movie with Man of Steel.

Watch the movie, then decide :)
btw, the movie has already broken records in Philippines, and its just the beginning ;)

How do you know ? :)) (I am a big fan of Avengers )

No hate on Avengers, the final fight was fun. But judging from the positive reviews, it is better than Avengers, almost around 40 minutes of Zod vs Sups. In the negative reviews, they say its too long and overly done, aka dragonballz :p

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^nice rant :) i don't care for critics & never did.my expectation was based on my experience of reading superman comics & watching the animated series(in the 90's) & in those superman was not Christopher Reeve but he was also not the grim version i saw in trailers but somewhere in between.this is also why i was disappointed by zod as villain in 1st part itself because for me the real story of superman in metropolis(& world) starts with his clash with Lex Luthor.

OP
cyborg47

cyborg47

Technomancer
^^nice rant :) i don't care for critics & never did.my expectation was based on my experience of reading superman comics & watching the animated series(in the 90's) & in those superman was not Christopher Reeve but he was also not the grim version i saw in trailers but somewhere in between.this is also why i was disappointed by zod as villain in 1st part itself because for me the real story of superman in metropolis(& world) starts with his clash with Lex Luthor.

The Clark to Sups transition wasn't easy, no comic or animated series ever tried to imply otherwise, they probably got away with it quickly, but we know that Clark was stuggling to blend with everybody else. Even Superman 1978 showed that clearly, but it made the jump to the perfect Superman with a minute long montage and marlon brando's speech.

Think about it, if you were clark kent, and your father always suppressed you not to over expose yourself, right when you start to realize and freak out about the powers you have, how'd you think your life is going to be? one troubled mess. Realistically speaking, Pa Kent's attitude towards Clark totally makes sense, I mean, who would want their only son to be taken away by the government because he's an extra terrestrial. Fixing that kind of life can be extremely difficult, which I believe this movie is going to capture perfectly.

I'd rather be interested in seeing Superman become the hero we know in a trilogy arc(much like TDK trilogy), rather than an already perfect Superman, whose biggest complaint people always made...boring.

As the choice for Zod as the villain and not Lex...
In Man of Steel, Zod gets to know about Earth and Kal El's presence on it when little Clark accidentally activates the beacon on the ship he crash landed in on the planet, when Pa Kent shows it to him for the first time. Lex isn't an idiot to jump in and target superman without any research, so Zod's arrival on earth and its consequences give Lex plenty of time to study Sups and the kryptonians. Perfectly logical.

EDIT - Don't want to sound like a fanboy or anything, there's a big possibility that the movie might have some flaws, so lets wait till we watch the movie and then talk about it :)

Last edited:

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
Geoff Johns? you mean the guy who co-wrote Green Lantern? Oh that movie was awesome really /s

Shyt, I never had a thought of him being involved in GL movie. I meant the comics he wrote, not the movie script. :p

But I don't really care about RT. I loved The Hobbit, critics hated it and it made $1 bil. lolz.

Hope PR'll be like awesome with critics and viewers as well, especially viewers.

OP
cyborg47

cyborg47

Technomancer
imax seems to be full in Mumbai...not getting tickets at all..have to try next week then..

The idiots at Bookmyshow opened the bookings a day early, so I couldn't get the tickets for the opening day. Thought I got them for 18th, Prasadz IMAX :D

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
Good or bad, Goyer is only man they have. Three successful Batman movies, why would they choose anyone other than Goyer?

Some say the script needed polishing. They also say Goyer's script always needed polishing and for TDK trilogy Nolan was there to polish it, but unfortunately not for MoS. But this guy says it's fine, I'm fine.

[youtube]MG4YE0w3UMs[/youtube]

OP
cyborg47

cyborg47

Technomancer
No, you're not fine, you're in doubt, watch the movie and then decide if you're fine with it or not ;)

EDIT - Here's a comment from the internet on the negative reviews.

Its like asking your 90 year old grand ma to critique a rap album

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Average movie actually. Let's just say it's better than Iron Man 3. Cast is good. All actors fit properly.

imo Superman (1978) is better than this. :)

Top Bottom