Macs Really Do Run Windows Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
gx_saurav said:
With Vista there is only one SKU. Means just one DVD. You can enter your OEM key which is tied to the hardware it was bundled with on a DVD. Simple....

You can move a retail key from one computer to another computer but an OEM key is tied to one computer only.
can u please tell this thing to iMav ?? ;-)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ speaking from my own experience i have a hp which came with vista home premium pre-installed ... i have installed vista twice on it using 'another' vista dvd as i did not get any bundled dvd with the package :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
infra_red_dude said:
^^^ that has never worked for me in XP (as far as OEM keys are concerned).
In case of XP, you need XP OEM disk from the manufacturer & OEM Key.

If u just have the key you can order an OEM CD. Else install using retail edition CD & call the tech support & give your old key & they will activate for u.

Microsoft solved this problem with Vista. Now one DVD fits all.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
gx_saurav said:
In case of XP, you need XP OEM disk from the manufacturer & OEM Key.

If u just have the key you can order an OEM CD. Else install using retail edition CD & call the tech support & give your old key & they will activate for u.
toh main kya bol raha hun bhai? main bhi toh wohi bol raha hun!!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
this "Another DVD" can be downloaded off the net 2.6GB download or can be bought from the manufacturer by paying him $$$. Those are the only legal ways. And I remember someone saying that there's no link on MS' site to download Vista ISO. Lemme check it out.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
i wasnt mentioning other means ... i had purchased another copy before i bought the lappy :)

the highlight on another was to tell that the dvd i used to install wasnt the 1 that i got along with the lappy :)

goobimama

 Macboy
Oh Wow! That's nice! So you buy a lappy, then don't have any restore discs so you purchase another copy just so you can use the lappy's product key...

goobimama

 Macboy
^^ What he means is, he has a copy for his desktop, but his laptop didn't come with a product key. So he used his desktop copy, and activated it using his laptop key. Quite legal.

din

Tribal Boy
iMav's lappy came with Vista pre-installed isn't it ? So assuming its legal copy, whats wrong in using different CD / DVD for installation but using the same product key that was there in lappy ? Not illegal isn't it ? Or I am confused ?

ray|raven

Think Zen.
AFAIK OEM keys are supposed to be active on one installation at any given
point of time.Although his laptop came with its own legal copy,
using an OEM key thats already in use makes it illegal.

Regards,
ray

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ Yes, thats true. however, i don't think anyone here is talking about activating one 2 copies of windows with the same product key. what the discussion is about is using the same installation media but with the 2 different product keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom