Macs Really Do Run Windows Better

Status
Not open for further replies.

shantanu

Technomancer
hey hey ! no other BS discussion.. ! keep the thread to what it is.. ! please.. ! dont entend your Questions and Discussion to a level where it becomes fight !

Windows is good ! Microsoft is Better ! Macs are Best ! now please stay upto the nice level !

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
alsiladka said:
2. I seriouly hope the OEM's let you decide what all softwares to install. Only Dell comes close to this by letting you customize your system atleast a little when ordering it. They charge you a 1000RS just for a basic install ??!!! And if you would like to partition your system, which they highly recommend, you just have to pay 750rs more. Dell usa gives you a lot more choices on customization.

You can always get a Windows Installation disk from somewhere like Vista DVD & enter your OEM key to activate, simple as that. :) Why bother with the crapware? Here is the thing, those crapware reduce the cost of Laptop or desktop. I won't mind having lods of crapware installed if it reduces the price by 5k, cos I know I will be reinstalling Window anyway.

You just cannot beat the trackpad. There is no competition. Scrolling, dragging and right-clicking is a pleasure. :smile:

Try playing games on the notebook

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Try doing that on any notebook's built-in trackpad.

Try not to indulge in conversation based on convoluted logic!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
aryayush said:
Apple does not load their machines with any of the crap that other hardware vendors do. There are only two applications on an Apple notebook that are bundled as trial versions and none of these slow down the machine in any way. Uninstalling them is also a snap. When, and if, you re-install Mac OS X, you get the option of removing those applications too. Those two applications are the iWork and Microsoft Office suites.......

...You also get a set of DVDs for re-installing the OS and other applications, not a crappy restore partition.
i agree to this point of yours. hafing a restore partition wid crapware and hence not bundling the media is the most foolish offering by any company.

aryayush said:
Point three: Apart from the bloatware, the other thing that makes Macs (the notebooks, at least) better PCs than "PCs" is the trackpad. You just cannot beat the trackpad. There is no competition. Scrolling, dragging and right-clicking is a pleasure. :)
i hafn't used a mac extensively so i'd refrain commenting on that one.

gx_saurav said:
Try playing games on the notebook
yaar, speak something sensible!

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
as far as the bloatware is concerned ... its business its not MS bundling it rather the company - HP; Dell; Sony; Acer who have tied up with the software providers like norton ... :)

narangz

Web developer
aryayush said:
You also get a set of DVDs for re-installing the OS and other applications, not a crappy restore partition.

Yeah I totally agree on this point... Creating restore discs yourselves suck! And paying to the manufacturer for ordering these discs is absurd.
Giving the discs alongwith the machine isn''t a costly deal. I have no idea why they are doing this.

aryayush said:
Apart from that you get Mac OS X (which itself has a host of useful built-in utilities that you have to install separately on Windows), the award-winning, semi-professional iLife suite, QuickBooks NUE, OmniOutliner and Comic Life.

Well the PC manufacturers also bundle Office Trial but ofcourse don't provide any option during installation to de-select them. But when MS bundles such utilities with Windows they get slapped with Anti-trust cases and are called monopolistic.

Another point aryayush, is that Mac's cost a lot. And most people can't afford to buy that much costly Desktop PC's & Notebooks. Hence the performance of Macs running Windows is higher in those circumstances.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ all that is Microsoft's fault ... ;)

PS: not a question but an un-written rule of thinkdigit

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
iMav said:
as far as the bloatware is concerned ... its business its not MS bundling it rather the company - HP; Dell; Sony; Acer who have tied up with the software providers like norton ... :)
i guess everyone agreed to this point that its the manufacturer who is to be blamed not MS!

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
narangz said:
Yeah I totally agree on this point... Creating restore discs yourselves suck! And paying to the manufacturer for ordering these discs is absurd.

This is India & you can get a DVD from anywhere, even the piracy market. Then u can simply enter your OEM key to activate Vista on the same computer.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ when you are paying 25k+ for any system (desktop/laptop) why should anyone wanna download the contents of whole DVD or get it from a "piracy market". doesn't make sense at all. how much will bundling the media cost? i don't get the manufacturers foolish logic of not bundling the media. i understand, recovering from the recovery partition is easier than installing from the media. but i think they should provide both.

yaar, GX you are a senior member. at least don't post suggestions like these! ur intentions mebbe good, but its not less than promoting piracy. it mebbe perceived in the other way.

╬Switch╬

In the zone
This is how I see it:
Even if you run Windows via bootcamp, it will run just as it should on any other assembled computer.Cause its not running through the mac OSX by emulation isn't it?
How does it make sense to say that just because a macbook has OSX installed in one of its partitions helps Windows preform better than it would otherwise.

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
╬Switch╬ said:
How does it make sense to say that just because a macbook has OSX installed in one of its partitions helps Windows preform better than it would otherwise.
it doesn't make sense to say that and hence nobody said that!! :D you seem to haf missed something. read the article again. its all about crapware.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
infra_red_dude said:
i don't get the manufacturers foolish logic of not bundling the media. i understand, recovering from the recovery partition is easier than installing from the media. but i think they should provide both.

They should provide even I agree, but for most customers (Read: noob), recovering from a partition is easier then installation. All manufacturers provide a Installation CD/DVD for addition price, like Dell provides Vista Home premium DVD for additional $25.

OP
aryayush

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
narangz said:
Another point aryayush, is that Mac's cost a lot. And most people can't afford to buy that much costly Desktop PC's & Notebooks. Hence the performance of Macs running Windows is higher in those circumstances.
1. Even PCs costing in excess of Rs. 1 lac from other vendors come with the same sort of crapware that is mentioned in that article, those same "Intel Inside" stickers and that same restore partition. In case you did not notice, the machine the author used as an example was a Sony VAIO, a range that has a reputation of being even more costly than Macs are.

2. Steve Jobs once said, "There’s some stuff in our industry that we wouldn’t be proud to ship. And we just can’t do it. We can’t ship junk. There are thresholds we can’t cross because of who we are." Apple can also make really cheap machines but then they would have to employ these same dirty tricks that would ruin the experience for the customer and Apple "cannot cross that threshold because of who they are".

You see, it is all about the experience. The difference is: one company cares for it, the others don't. :)

goobimama

 Macboy
One more thing. Its not about Microsoft. They made the OS. No one is blaming them. At least I dont in this case. The case is the end user. Me. What do I get? Either I have to deal with the incompatibilities that arise from an assembled system, or the crapware that comes along with a branded machine. I dont care what they do up there, I want my things perfect down here.

And shame on you GX for supporting piracy...

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
gx isnt supporting piracy in any form ... u have already purchased ur 'key' so it doesnt matter from where u get the installation cd ;) coz the person u buy it from should provide u 1 if he doesnt u can get it from anywhere

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
gx_saurav said:
They should provide even I agree, but for most customers (Read: noob), recovering from a partition is easier then installation. All manufacturers provide a Installation CD/DVD for addition price, like Dell provides Vista Home premium DVD for additional $25.
then why provide optical drives? if company thinks that the user is incompetant to install OS then how can the company think that he'll be able to install some other software? how many user inputs do the newer OSs require? as for your "most customers (Read: noob)", since they are "noobies" they haf every chance of messing wid the recovery partition. at least in dell its not hidden.

this is stupid logic and $25 for media is crazy and exhorbitant. you pay for the OS then extra for the media!!! how much does it cost them to master the installation media in bulk??? i dunno why the companies don't get such a simple point.

goobimama

 Macboy
gx isnt supporting piracy in any form ... u have already purchased ur 'key' so it doesnt matter from where u get the installation cd coz the person u buy it from should provide u 1 if he doesnt u can get it from anywhere
Do you know how piracy works? If you buy a DVD from the local market, you are generating money in the sellers hands. This very money adds up and it keeping the piracy business booming. Yes, he is supporting piracy in some form. And that is not allowed on this forum.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
goobimama said:
Do you know how piracy works? If you buy a DVD from the local market, you are generating money in the sellers hands. This very money adds up and it keeping the piracy business booming. Yes, he is supporting piracy in some form. And that is not allowed on this forum.
gx isnt the 1 who is promoting it its the companies like dell and hp who are by not giving the installation cd along with the comp :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom