Macbook Pro 13 inch doubts clarification

Anurup

Broken In
Guyz..want ur opinions asap.
recently visited the apple stores and found out about their student discount and other discounts...and was surprised to know that after availing these discounts i will be able to get the macbook pro 13 inch (3rd gen i5 2.5ghz,4gb ram, intel hd 4000, 500gb ram) priced at around 81K at around 69k only...now this is a really attractive price...and i can purchase this...with my initial budget of 65K ...(though slightly hv to extend my budget)
but the only doubt that im hving is ...that r there any drabacks in hving a mac instead of a normal pc???especially in the following fiels:-
1)CONNECTIVITY :- was searching the net and heard of connectivity problems with the macs...like problems with connecting to WiFi and net dongles and also with other non apple devices( hp/cannon printers, wireless mouse etc). I hv a cannon printer and an Logitech wireless mouse...so will like to know if they will connect with the macbook pro 13..also i hv a sansung 24inch screen and wuld like to connect the macbook to it when viewing movies...will this be possible??

2)GAMES :- I m not a really hardcore gamer ...but do tend to play some games..like FIFA 13 , NFS MW2, CoD 3 ...will the intel 4000 be able to support these games...even in low/medium settings???

3) PERFORMANCE :- at the same price (69k) i can get a i7 processor pc...but will there be a gr8 difference in performance b/w the i5 and i7 processors...ill mostly use my laptop for college work and will be doing C/C++,Java,MATLAB programming (im a 1st year student in Computer Science so dont know what else software ill be using...)

4) COMPATEBILITY :- will i find osx softwares for my daily use (programming) through torrent downloads...and r there nough softwares compatible wih the osx to satisfy the academic need in computer science???...btw ill hv windows xp in dual boot...

5) Finally is it true that macs tend to last longer than other laptops....i mean i was reading on the net..it said that other laptops(hp,dell.vaio)last for around 4-5 years while macs last around 8-9years without any problems...is his true

pls guyz...help required ASAP...the student discount lasts till the 22nd of Spetember only...wont want to miss the opportunity...but then agaig if im paying around 70k for a laptop i want to clarify all the pros and cons...pls held frnds..

pls guyz...reply only 2days left in the discount...pls help

Last edited:

aroraanant

Explorer
1)CONNECTIVITY :- was searching the net and heard of connectivity problems with the macs...like problems with connecting to WiFi and net dongles and also with other non apple devices( hp/cannon printers, wireless mouse etc). I hv a cannon printer and an Logitech wireless mouse...so will like to know if they will connect with the macbook pro 13..also i hv a sansung 24inch screen and wuld like to connect the macbook to it when viewing movies...will this be possible??
There are no such issues like wifi or net dongle.I am using a micromax plug to surf modem without any issues.
And if you want to connect your printer to you mac then you need its drivers for mac which you can download it from the company's website.
And you can connect your 24" monitor via HDMI port if it has one, but you need to buy a mini display port to hdmi convertor separately.And if HDMI port is not there in your screen then buy a mini display port to VGA convertor.

For your 2nd question.
Intel 4000 is ok for low end games and some of the mid range games too.But remember you need to dual boot your system if you want to play games as gaming will not be possible on Mac OS

3) PERFORMANCE :- at the same price (69k) i can get a i7 processor pc...but will there be a gr8 difference in performance b/w the i5 and i7 processors...ill mostly use my laptop for college work and will be doing C/C++,Java,MATLAB programming (im a 1st year student in Computer Science so dont know what else software ill be using...)
See mac is something different.Don't compare it with any windows laptop.Both are totally different things.
If you want to use windows all the time then its better avoid mac and get a windows i7 laptop

4) COMPATEBILITY :- will i find osx softwares for my daily use (programming) through torrent downloads...and r there nough softwares compatible wih the osx to satisfy the academic need in computer science???...btw ill hv windows xp in dual boot...
You will find most of the things on torrent, and if you don't find it then run the particular software in dual boot.

5) Finally is it true that macs tend to last longer than other laptops....i mean i was reading on the net..it said that other laptops(hp,dell.vaio)last for around 4-5 years while macs last around 8-9years without any problems...is his true
Even I have heard the same, though I can say that all the other laptops except apple last for around 4yrs only.
I haven't used apple for such a long time so can't comment on that but people say that it generally lasts long.
But I can tell you one thing that performance of a Macbook when compared to windows based laptop with same config is much better.

One thing more.
The discount discount is there through out the year, it just varies, sometimes it is less and sometimes it is more.
Hope it helps

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
No problem with connectivity and other hardware - printer, scanner you have. Everything works fine.

Gaming is a problem with Intel HD 4000.

vikikannan

Right off the assembly line
Guyz..want ur opinions asap.
recently visited the apple stores and found out about their student discount and other discounts...and was surprised to know that after availing these discounts i will be able to get the macbook pro 13 inch (3rd gen i5 2.5ghz,4gb ram, intel hd 4000, 500gb ram) priced at around 81K at around 69k only...now this is a really attractive price...and i can purchase this...with my initial budget of 65K ...(though slightly hv to extend my budget)
but the only doubt that im hving is ...that r there any drabacks in hving a mac instead of a normal pc???especially in the following fiels:-

2)GAMES :- I m not a really hardcore gamer ...but do tend to play some games..like FIFA 13 , NFS MW2, CoD 3 ...will the intel 4000 be able to support these games...even in low/medium settings???

pls guyz...help required ASAP...the student discount lasts till the 22nd of Spetember only...wont want to miss the opportunity...but then agaig if im paying around 70k for a laptop i want to clarify all the pros and cons...pls held frnds..

pls guyz...reply only 2days left in the discount...pls help

hi anurup, me too planning the same. Im getting it for 72 k after discount in chennai in an imagine store. . Where do u get for 69k. .

OP
A

Anurup

Broken In
im from kolkata...btw i went for the inspiron 15r se..got i7,6gb ram,1tb hd, amd 7730 graphis...along with wireless headphone and mouse...at around 55k..m like to play high def games hence i didnt go for the 13 inch mac

Top Bottom