MacBook for sale - used (as good as new)

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
you have to travel to USA for a second hand Mac :) may be,there it will be cheaper as all second hand goods are!try some online bazaar sites like ebay etc .if someone is there in US,ur lucky :p

btw,now am wondering why did they move to intel x86 pc platform :confused: apple shud have stayed with ppc from ibm(as the mac here in one college lab is working fine for all these years!I suspect the stability of pc arch vs ppc)

praka123 said:
you have to travel to USA for a second hand Mac :) may be,there it will be cheaper as all second hand goods are!try some online bazaar sites like ebay etc .if someone is there in US,ur lucky :p

btw,now am wondering why did they move to intel x86 pc platform :confused: apple shud have stayed with ppc from ibm(as the mac here in one college lab is working fine for all these years!I suspect the stability of pc arch vs ppc)
PPC and Motorolla are better in stability and quality compared to Intel x86. But costlier. Sun UltraSPARC is better in stability, but lower in effitiency per ghz. AMD64 and AMD's Newer Dual Core Black Edition processors come with all three - stablity, power and low cost. But because they have only 2 mb L2 cache, gamers shy away from them in favour of Intel's similar processors with 4mb L2.

In the end, we are all stuck with Intel.:mad:

@the mac book seller:

for just 1 GB ram(market price 1700), 13" screen(low cost compared to other sizes), 2.16 GHz proccy(market price 10K max), 120 GB HDD(market price 2700 max), DL DVD drive(market price 4000 max) and some basic stuf you are charging 55K? Ever seen a Dell Inspirion 1420? VFM...
*www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/notebooks?c=in&cs=indhs1&l=en&s=dhs

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
...that i hate too=monopoly of any player.be it M$ or Intel,the customers who are lossing :(

BTW,Cant @lost_poet try to get mac from some UTs?for eg: pondichery,goa etc...i hope there it is cheaper :-|

praka123 said:
...that i hate too=monopoly of any player.be it M$ or Intel,the customers who are lossing :(

BTW,Cant @lost_poet try to get mac from some UTs?for eg: pondichery,goa etc...i hope there it is cheaper :-|
I told you its NOT monopoly of Intel. They just offer the best buy for budget high end segment. The day AMD sells dual core processors with minimum 4 mb L2 cache will be the day people start running out of intel stores. M$ is ofcource, monopoly... that too only in the minds of n00bs.

x3060

A LOTR fan
correct ,..... and avoid using synthesised sound when going pro . . .
i back you up on that :). am not against mac or lin but let him decide which software to use . . . diff people like diff softwares :)

x3060 said:
correct ,..... and avoid using synthesised sound when going pro . . .
i back you up on that :). am not against mac or lin but let him decide which software to use . . . diff people like diff softwares :)
Even I am not against MACs and Definitely not against Linux. I just suggested him some budget configs, because he seemed desperate to get something for as low as possible.

I think the only solution is to do this:

1. Buy a MAC Mini(the 2.0 GHz version rox).
2. Install OpenOffice.org.
3. Install VLC Media Player.
4. Try to get a Laptop Sketon, with just a keyboard, screen and touchpad.
5. Connect it to the MAC.
6. Otherwise, buy a simple Logitech Multimedia/Internet Combo.
7. Buy a Dell Monitor. The Rs. 10000 LCDs are good.
8. Connect them to the MAC.

But the above will set you back by Rs. 35,000. Instead of doing all this circus, go to any second hand shop. Buy a used cheap quality record player for Rs. 250(its enough for your perpose). Get an old vinyl for around Rs. 100. Congratulations, You finished everything for just Rs. 350, thats a hundredth of the cost you wanted to spend.

PS: @ Aryayush: MACs give low VFM, but the MAC mini is still very very good VFM, especially for upgrades. So I modify my previous statements and reduce the harm done to a MacBoy like you.

x3060

A LOTR fan
@arya . . dont be a fanboy mate . . mac has its ups and downs , that being said . every o.s has its own share of ups and downs . its just that we get too personal to those life less things ;-). that being said , its always fun to fight ;-)

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
I can't understand why the talk of VFM pop up now and then wrt Apple Mac. Apple doesn't give your VFM. They don't make Macs targeting VFM minded people.

If you want VFM and a Mac, a good option is the iMac.

By the way, tell me the price of this config lappy (any brand) in India:
- 2.2 Ghz, Intel "Santa Rosa" Platform ie, Centrino Pro not Centrino Duo
- 2 GB RAM @ 800 Mhz (note the speed, not 666/500 Mhz)
- NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT, 128 MB
- LED-backlit display, Waaaaaaaaay better than LCD displays. I've used Dell Inspiron as well, all the LCDs are nothing compared to the rich display of my Mac. Did I forget 1440X900 resolution for a 15" screen.
- 120 GB HDD
- 802.11n Wi-Fi (not 802.11g)
- Built in 1.3 MP Cam

P.S: It's Mac not MAC.

drgrudge said:
I can't understand why the talk of VFM pop up now and then wrt Apple Mac. Apple doesn't give your VFM. They don't make Macs targeting VFM minded people.

If you want VFM and a Mac, a good option is the iMac.

By the way, tell me the price of this config lappy (any brand) in India:
- 2.2 Ghz, Intel "Santa Rosa" Platform ie, Centrino Pro not Centrino Duo
- 2 GB RAM @ 800 Mhz (note the speed, not 666/500 Mhz)
- NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT, 128 MB
- LED-backlit display, Waaaaaaaaay better than LCD displays. I've used Dell Inspiron as well, all the LCDs are nothing compared to the rich display of my Mac. Did I forget 1440X900 resolution for a 15" screen.
- 120 GB HDD
- 802.11n Wi-Fi (not 802.11g)
- Built in 1.3 MP Cam

P.S: It's Mac not MAC.
1. Rs. 15,000/-
2. Rs. 03,400/-
3. Rs. 08,000/-
4. Rs. 20,000/-
5. Rs. 04,000/-
6. Rs. NoIdea/-
7. Rs. 00,500/-

drgrudge

^^
Eh? I wanted to price of the Laptop with the following (or atleast close to it) configuration not the cost of individual components.

drgrudge

Anyway the point that I wanted to stress is, it's not that expensive. Also there's no (or very less) product to match this configuration in India.

lost_poet

Right off the assembly line
Okay guys! Looks like my update has not been working! Sorry m late.
As for the original Vinyl idea - any vinyl player won't work for me. Heavy duty scratching cannot be handled by old players. For actual vinyl setups, I might have to sell our house! :p

I also need to play samples live. For which I will be using Ableton Live most prolly. M not being a Fanboy here, but I have hardly seen pros using anything but Mac. I have had first hand from someone who is in the international circuit (Aus to be precise), he said that musicians prefer Mac because of teh OS X.

The Mac Mini even though compact, will really set me back. I need a moniter and keyboard, a pointing device. A laptop is much better don't you think, for a mobile DJ? You guys are forgetting that I already have a MIDI Controller (the Behringer BCD3000). The plan was to buy a laptop with it. But then we ranout of money for a while. I have around 30K to spare. So m looking around.

Aryayus, ur from Kolkata, what's the scenario like in the grey market? Can anyone make Fake Macs and sell 'em? Shud I go in for a visit? Say Chandni? I don wanna goto Kidderpore though, I am still in my senses :p.

Achha, where is Choto Cheeta? He was saying something about Nepal. Which is much closer to me than the US. I mean the money I will spend getting there and getting back, I will be able to buy a nice new macbook pro right here! :p

But thanks you guys for taking this so seriously.

^^I still feel that giving a normal lappy a try is no harm. Ask a friend for his lappy and try Ubuntu Studio. If you find it comfortable, use it.:D

For sampling and playing, there are many softys. I use Hydrogen for the same.:)

And yes, most musicians use Macs due to the fact that it looks good:cool:

You can always try a sturdier player for the original sound.:idea:

Anyway, do try to get a Mac first. You don't want to look low in class with an ordianry lappy:p

But if you are NOT able to buy one with the ultra low budget of yours(for a mac), you have to try the alternatives, thats all. Do you remember the suggstion I gave about sampling the sounds from that iLife thingy you want and using them in a normal lappy?:rolleyes:

And most importantly, you can't claim to be a REAL scratch DJ if you don't scratch a REAL vinyl. Just a friendly advice based on the plight I saw my friend get into. You can compose and sequence entire songs on a computer, but its just not REAL. Ammatures can do it, but not pros.

lost_poet

Ummm...don worry...I am quite upto date with my scratching info. Thing is, with newer softwares emulating (not synthesizing) the vinyl, stuff like Final Scratch And MS Pinky are becoming more useful. There you are not really scratching the Vinyl, you are scratching the Sample using vinyl as controllers. This is done bcoz most scratch Djs are familiar with manipulating vinyl and NOT virtual turntables. Since I am riding the new wave, I am using MIDI, that's all. If you want, I can give you more info on this.

As re: Ubuntu, wel, I do have Ubuntu on dual boot on this machine actually. I do like a LOT! Problem is that so far I have tried all the softwares available on the markte currently that allow me to do scratches. So far only Traktor is upto scratch (sorry for the bad pun). So I am looking for Mac. Or else I would love to goto Ubuntu. But I have not found anything on Ubuntu that helps me do it. Other than this one softwares though but that is not verry user friendly at the present stage of its development and requires you to make your own custom turntable which will work only with the software. And still, it acts like a controller. I am telling you, this is the future of scratch. Because, as algorithms get better the scratch sound will be very real indeed. It is already quite real.

Even though I not much good yet, I can post some samples from one of my scratching sessions. May be it will change your opinion.

So hey, does anyone have a MacBook for me? PLEASE?!!!

Last edited:

na3than

hi friend,
i'm arul from tuty. i'm seeking a macbook.
i have a lg laptop which i got for my educational purpose.
its also updated, now i'm moving to mac. this macbook will also be for my educational purpose.
please contact if u are intersted in a exchange. i'll pay the difference.
na3than@yahoo.com

regards,
arul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom