Lumia 520 : Discussion thread

Are you a Lumia 520 user?

• Total voters

rdx_halo

In the zone
Got the Cyan on my Lumia 520.. Changed the region and language setting to USA and now i even have Cortana!! :hyper:

- - - Updated - - -

Lumia 520.. The update 8.1 Cyan is out for 520 and 720.

Did you Changed the region and language setting to USA Before update ?

RiGOD

SoLa BeLLaToR...
Updated my Lumia 520 to WP 8.1 yesterday and here's a brief overview of the new features:

(Read as Feature : Where to find)

Cortana* : App list
Background picture : Settings > start+theme
Battery saver : App list
Data sense : App list
Improved camera interface : Camera
Notification center : Swipe down on start screen
Project my screen : Settings
Storage sense : App list
Show more tiles : Settings > start+theme
Quick access to sound settings : Press volume button
Quiet hours : Settings

* Change the location to United States and language to English US (make it as first preference if you have other languages on the list)

In addition to the ones mentioned above the music player, video player, app store etc. have a new interface. I was actually thinking of upgrading to an Android but after this update I've decided to keep the phone till the juice of this update runs out (which I'm sure, won't happen in the next six months).

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Re: Lumia 52X : Discussion thread

What should one do to backup what's app chat history if one wants to reset/format the phone?
I didn't do anything thinking WhatsApp must have taken backup on sdcard like it do on Android, but I effed up. And all the history was lost. :(

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
No offense to anyone, but i am curious why u guys are so attached to watsapp previous logs. I couldnt care less if my whole watsapp history is wiped out. Is it same scenario like where guys wont delete a single text from their gf's.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Did you Changed the region and language setting to USA Before update ?

no you can change it anytime

- - - Updated - - -

No offense to anyone, but i am curious why u guys are so attached to watsapp previous logs. I couldnt care less if my whole watsapp history is wiped out. Is it same scenario like where guys wont delete a single text from their gf's.

same here
whatsapp gets slower with time in fact because of older stuff
rather delete and get a faster whatsapp experience

- - - Updated - - -

I'm too stuck up with whats app chat history. How to back it up? do not have sd card also.:(

it saves the backup to phone memory as well if you like

- - - Updated - - -

I need to confirm if the free space of 1gb sufficient for updating or do I need to format the phone?

formatting is best if you can do it otherwise try it with 1gb for the time being if you want

- - - Updated - - -

Updated Lumia 520 to Cyan 8.1 ! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::hyper:

I did not like the new media player. Can you please suggest good app for music play ?

this is the best ive used-
*www.windowsphone.com/en-in/store/app/tiqi-music-player/4c050dfd-3a8b-4402-a126-0bf52a4106f8
only issue is pop-up ads
otherwise change region to USA and update the music player app,you get a much better player
otherwise theres an app which brings back the old music player which is still hidden within WP8.1

- - - Updated - - -

Updated my Lumia 520 to WP 8.1 yesterday and here's a brief overview of the new features:

(Read as Feature : Where to find)

Cortana* : App list
Background picture : Settings > start+theme
Battery saver : App list
Data sense : App list
Improved camera interface : Camera
Notification center : Swipe down on start screen
Project my screen : Settings
Storage sense : App list
Show more tiles : Settings > start+theme
Quick access to sound settings : Press volume button
Quiet hours : Settings

* Change the location to United States and language to English US (make it as first preference if you have other languages on the list)

In addition to the ones mentioned above the music player, video player, app store etc. have a new interface. I was actually thinking of upgrading to an Android but after this update I've decided to keep the phone till the juice of this update runs out (which I'm sure, won't happen in the next six months).

^^
in addition to your points
its faster and better optimised than black update
especially camera etc
you can now move apps to sd card and its smoother than o android(works better than app2sd on android with zero lag etc)
new extension for apps- .appx(universal apps across the entire windows platform)

- - - Updated - - -

Got the Cyan on my Lumia 520.. Changed the region and language setting to USA and now i even have Cortana!! :hyper:

- - - Updated - - -

Lumia 520.. The update 8.1 Cyan is out for 520 and 720.

even 1320 and 625 got it before the rest
only 525,820 and 1-2 more phones are still pending

rdx_halo

In the zone
this is the best ive used-
Your request appears to be from an automated process
only issue is pop-up ads
otherwise change region to USA and update the music player app,you get a much better player
otherwise theres an app which brings back the old music player which is still hidden within WP8.1
even 1320 and 625 got it before the rest
only 525,820 and 1-2 more phones are still pending

Changed the region but how to update the media player ? please help.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin

To those who are concerned about keeping chat history of WhatsApp, no offence but not everyone talks only to their GFs on WhatsApp. And for those every chat message is important.
So no solution?

sandynator

Cyborg Agent
I too would not have cared for whatsapp chat history but most ppl in my list share work related stuffs/messages through this so I must have a back up of it. Its pretty tiring going through each & every msg.

In fact there was no need for me to have whatsapp client on my phone but these type of ppl forced me to... :-x

Guys please let me know if its advisable to reset the phone after win 8.1 update?

Last edited:

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Changed the region but how to update the media player ? please help.

it should happen automatically
in my case , its xbox music when its in india region and just music when its in USA/UK region
not sure how the whole thing works

- - - Updated - - -

is the charging time slow on cyan? i experience this problem. not sure of others.

same charging time for me
try a battery cycle(fully charge to extreme zero then charge again),should help recalibrate

- - - Updated - - -

To those who are concerned about keeping chat history of WhatsApp, no offence but not everyone talks only to their GFs on WhatsApp. And for those every chat message is important.
So no solution?

there is a backup option in whatsapps settings

- - - Updated - - -

I too would not have cared for whatsapp chat history but most ppl in my list share work related stuffs/messages through this so I must have a back up of it. Its pretty tiring going through each & every msg.

In fact there was no need for me to have whatsapp client on my phone but these type of ppl forced me to... :-x

Guys please let me know if its advisable to reset the phone after win 8.1 update?

its not a necessity
you can update without reset and see how it works for you and reset later on if you feel it is slow or something

- - - Updated - - -

for those wanting to save imp messages on whatsapp, try the backup facility in whatsapps settings or just take screenshots just in case(tiring and time consuming i know but better to be safe i guess)
whatsapp feels very half baked on every platform :(

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

Anyone tried file/app transfer to SD card after official update?

yep totally safe and no lag etc,slight delay for heavy games and apps on loading screens but its only 5 secs extra
tried with a sandisk 32gb class 4 on my lumia 720
no issues at all,have been using 8.1 since the first dev preview in april

Top Bottom