Lumia 520 : Discussion thread

Are you a Lumia 520 user?

• Total voters

vijju6091

Feeling Gravity
Lumia 720 has 2000 mah battery which can easily last for 2 days with medium usage.
Btw guys i am planning to buy WP8 phone soon. which should i try Lumia 520 or Lumia 720. my concern are Phone should be VFM. And i need at least 12 hours battery backup. i don need better camera. Please suggest as Lumia 520 is available at almost half price with most of spec similar.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Lumia 720 has 2000 mah battery which can easily last for 2 days with medium usage.
Btw guys i am planning to buy WP8 phone soon. which should i try Lumia 520 or Lumia 720. my concern are Phone should be VFM. And i need at least 12 hours battery backup. i don need better camera. Please suggest as Lumia 520 is available at almost half price with most of spec similar.

In that case the 520 suits you pretty well. It can easily last a day AFAIK, and if you dont use 3G to browse, then lasts even longer I guess.
@Gearbox, @ShankJ here will be able to confirm.

But without doubt, the larger battery on the 720 will give you a better backup. Just depends on whether or not the 520 is sufficient for you.
One more thing. Its already august. If you can wait for some more time, then better wait until December for GDR3. its bound to impact the pricing of pretty much all the phones except perhaps the 520 and 620.

I don't understand why the battery has to be either average or poor in most smartphones be it either android or windows.I can understand that hi end phones will suck battery faster but atleast the manufacturers must make sure that entry level devices last atleast 2 days on normal usage.Outfitting every device with low or average battery life really grinds me no matter which phone one buys. For example Nokia put 1430mah battery in L520.Why not 2000mah ?How much more would it cost them to put a better battery ?if WP8 is supposed to be more efficient than android Nokia certainly isn't proving that atleast in terms of battery life of their devices.If android last 1 day on normal use WP8 should last 2 days.But this is clearly not happening ?

Actually battery life is not one of WP8's strengths. Lets be honest here, WP8 doesnt do true multitasking and still has comparable battery life to an Android device. Something isnt quite right in that picture. My talks with some people closer to this matter have indicated that this is smething of a MS problem. This *MAY* be because AFAIK WP forces GPU rendering for all its activities. That brings up hope that this may be fixed in the future, but the snail's pace at which MS is proceeding with updates doesnt inspire much confidence in me.

vijju6091

Feeling Gravity
I can Wait but AFAIK The new Nokia Lumia 625 is also launched in USA and Shall be available by the September. Shall i Wait for Lumia 625. And What about Next Gen. OS For Windows Phone do these phone will get update as I Can Stretch budget and wait but Phone should be future proof say almost for 2 years.

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
IO have heard IE on WP8 is a data hog and pages load slowly especially on 2G.what is your experience regarding browsing net on L520 on 2G ?Are there better alternatives ? I heard UCBrowser is better.Surfing net is very important for me.

kaudey

Journeyman
I never had any issue with browsing on IE with 2G, but then again the speed depends on the area you are in at the moment. I am actually pretty happy with IE; never installed any other browser. Will browser make so much of difference in the speed of browsing.

Regarding the battery, at least I am very impressed with the battery performance. My longest battery was 2 days+ with 2G always on and 3 mails+FB syncing continuously, ~2hrs of call, but not much video or music. Now, with 3G and the same things+good 1/2 hr of reddit, its giveing me ~ 1day 7hrs.

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!

The L520 easily gives 1 day 10 hours if the mobile network is off and around 12-14 hours with 3G..

I never had any issue with browsing on IE with 2G, but then again the speed depends on the area you are in at the moment. I am actually pretty happy with IE; never installed any other browser. Will browser make so much of difference in the speed of browsing.

Regarding the battery, at least I am very impressed with the battery performance. My longest battery was 2 days+ with 2G always on and 3 mails+FB syncing continuously, ~2hrs of call, but not much video or music. Now, with 3G and the same things+good 1/2 hr of reddit, its giveing me ~ 1day 7hrs.

1 day with 3G on!! You use whatsapp?? I guess it is the reason i get only 14 hours of backup..

Will Lumia 625 will be priced above or below 720? any ideas ?

It will be priced around 290 dollars..

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Whatsapp murders the battery in no time.

PS: I bought a 520 for mum, guess I can officially a 520 owner. I'll be using this one until this weekend :D :)

ShankJ

Been There, Done That!!
Whatsapp murders the battery in no time.

PS: I bought a 520 for mum, guess I can officially a 520 owner. I'll be using this one until this weekend :D :)

Congrates!!

I havnt tried using 3G without Whatsapp.. Whats the backup like??

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

When i used to use whatsapp on my 920 it used to hardly last till evening. Else it would have had someting like 15% left by 10 in the evening after starting the day at ~95% full charge from the previous night

UPDATE:

First Major WP goofup. Cant restore my apps from my 920. Apparently I have to do this when I first login to the phone, but at the stage when its supposed to ask for me if I wish to restore my backup, it hasnt even got the wifi settings. And once you have seen the homescreen there is no way to restore the backup. Basically there is no way to backup the phone from a saved image from the cloud. Thats a major flaw :|

Atleast contacts and messages sync automatically once you login. Including the custom groups and linked users/accounts and all that. Pretty hassle free if not for the unusable backup feature.

Quick thoughts: Maps is significantly slower and less responsive than on the 920, but equally usable by the looks of it.
The volume button and the other buttons are also a major downgrade but thats understandable given its priced about one third of the 920. Everything else feels equally snappy. And finally back to this keyboard. Phew. Struggled with the swype on the optimus - I just cant use that thing. The sad part is that I have to now let the keyboard get used to my style over time and by that time I wont have this phone with me. My 920 used to nearly read my mind whenever I wanted to message someone. Damn! I miss it :(
Changing songs by swiping the album art feels a tad less smooth, but it could be just placebo. Cant quite tell. Has the same 'wait' when opening a set of mp4 songs that I saw on the 920. Overall sound is very close to the 920 at stock settings, mids are identical, possibly the highs too, a tad less strong bass on the 520 and overall a slight lack of emotion. But quite close to the 920. Though i dont miss the equalizer yet as I used the Normal setting on the 920 as well, I can see why someone with less capable earphones will find this omission a glaring error. Note: If possible get the E10 from Soundmagic.

I havent used any recent 10k android phones, but this just confirms my suspicions. L520 is brilliant VFM as a phone despite the lack of front cam or flash. Its identical in behaviour to my 920 that costed me over 4 times this amount except for the slightly slower respoding maps for all I can tell. And thats quite an achievement.

WP as an OS has quite some way to go though. That backup fiasco is not something I'll forget anytime soon.

Gauravs90

geek........
You have to hard rest the lumia 520 with a data pack activated in the sim. Then it will ask for backup the content.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
The future of Nokia and the WP platforms uncertainty.

How Microsoft's Lack of Innovation is Killing Nokia - IBTimes UK

Nokia Lumia 1020 hardware 'lags behind' while Microsoft struggles to update Windows Phone

pranav0091

I am not an Owl

Nokia Lumia 1020 hardware 'lags behind' while Microsoft struggles to update Windows Phone

Thank you. I feel enlightened. I feel so enlightened that i realised I better report you.
I've got nothing against criticism, but you have been trolling about here.

H2O

Journeyman

We know you don't like WP. So give it a rest, man.

vijju6091

Feeling Gravity
Tired of androids Now Looking Forward To Purchase Lumia 720 As soon as i get my bonus. may be 10th of this month or 1 st September. Purchasing mainly due to battery backup.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Anybody here knows how do I set the wifi to be always on ?
i.e., WiFi ON under the lockscreen too ? I surely had that option in my 920, just cant find it anywhere on the 520.

Top Bottom