Lumia 520 : Discussion thread

Are you a Lumia 520 user?

• Total voters
OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Gave up the Lumia 520,good phone but too basic for the money.It should cost no more than Rs 7000 for what it offers. Bought a Lenovo S880 for Rs 10K approx with a 5 inch screen much better value at the moment.
That's the first hate-post i've ever heard about L520.

When it was out (2012), Lenovo S880 was priced >18k. Maybe, it's available at 10k now. Whereas L520 is on 2013.
So, on the (price factor + year) itself says "Dont compare a year-old-18k mobile with a new-10k mobile".

L520 is currently available at 8~8.5k at some sites.

Tidbit - Top 10 Mobiles Below 10000

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
That's the first hate-post i've ever heard about L520.

When it was out (2012), Lenovo S880 was priced >18k. Maybe, it's available at 10k now. Whereas L520 is on 2013.
So, on the (price factor + year) itself says "Dont compare a year-old-18k mobile with a new-10k mobile".

L520 is currently available at 8~8.5k at some sites.

Tidbit - Top 10 Mobile Phones under 10000 in India 2013 | 91mobiles.com

I didnt know it was an originally 18k phone, but even then I fail to see that reason why that Lenovo should be 'better value'. Unless you NEED an android. In which case its lain WRONG to even compare it with the L520 or any other phone, be it the Z10 or the Iphone.

But for once, the L520 is clearly the better specced (Tip of the day: WP8 handsets run much MUCH better on lesser hardware as opposed to their Android brethren) and the better performing handset.

OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
Recently read:
Lumia 520 now world’s top Windows Phone as Nokia dominates market - SlashGear

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
I also agree with you. Nokia 520 seems to be only bells and whistles about looks and super-sensitive touch screen. I was also falling for Nokia but now I see the pit falls. I think at most this phone should cost 7500/-.
BTW from where you bought Lenovo S880? Please do a review.

*www.google.co.in/search?q=Lenovo+S...i57j0j69i62l2.9916j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I bought a Lumia 520,used it for some time sold it to a cousin sis,got Lenovo S880 used it for a 12 days my cousin bro bought it from me,now Im using a Lenovo S890 and my Bro in law wants it. I bough the Lenovo S890 for Rs 13,900 amazing specs for the money,I would say a Sasmung Grand beater anyday,barring the NFC and HDMI out.

Its not a hate post guys,Nokia L520 is good but not great for the price that is being retailed for at the moment.Its sky high for a OS that has limitation compared to the competitors at the moment. Hard ware is also meager, a mere 1 GHz processor and 512 mb ram and a camera that has no flash, a 4 inch screen , a 1450 mAH battery and an OS that has limitations at the very moment. Phones with that kind of hardware configs come below Rs 4000 from manufacturers.Okay so you say its Nokia ,I say so what? Think about it. Lenovo has everything the Nokia has and even more a 5inch screen/Dualsim/DualCamera/Background Noise Cancellation/radio and a MASSIVE 2250 mAH Battery and more. Its just a VFM post and not hate!!!

Specs

Lenovo S880 - Full phone specifications

You say Nokia is respectable ,I say so is Lenovo , worlds largest PC manufacturer who is mulling to buy Blackberry.

Even as some people are saying Im comparing a 2012 hardware with a 2013 hardware,I would like to mention that your 2013 hardware is still a 2012 specced hardware sold overpriced by Nokia in 2013. Thanks for pointing that out too.

Last edited:

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^ Let me address that one by one.

5 inch screen with the same resolution only makes it more pixelated and adds NOTHING to the real estate.
Dualsim: If this was a necessity you shouldnt even have looked at the L520 in the first place.
Front camera: Genuine advantage, but only if you use it.
Noise cancellation: Not sure if the 520 has it, GSMArena didnt seem to have any issues with call quality.
Battery: Both are neck and neck in terms of battery life - Whats the point of how large the battery is ?
Radio: Coming this August.

This is classic Android syndrome- Want MOAR ! MOAR CORES! MOAR RAM! MOAR CORES!
A lot of people dont give **** about the internals as long as the phone does what they want. Its true that the lowest end WP phones lag lesser than Droids costing twice as much, beat that with all your cores and specifications.
Not trying to be rude, but your research seems very undercooked. Look up more on the weight, the processors, the GPU (only because you seem to harp on numbers).

What was that 2012 hardware again? Adreno 305 vs PowerVR SGX531 ? Qualcomm MSM8227 vs MTK 6575 ?
I have nothing against personal opinions. You should have said "In my opinion", if you are coming up with stuff thats factually incorrect. Redo you your homework, redo the math about the 2012 hardware.

PS: WP8 doesnt lag like Android, just saying since you were so hell bent on the specifications. No point of having 2048 cores if it still stutters here and there.

Time to come out of your rabbit hole, just because you think its 2012 hw doesnt make it so. The 520 is not just the better value, its even better specced vs the Lenovo here. And end of the day to hell with specifications, the usability is what matters. Unless you have invested heavily in the Android ecosystem or have some app you cant live without, the L520 largely wipes the floor with the Lenovo S880. Admit it.

Also please back that statement " Phones with that kind of hardware configs come below Rs 4000 from manufacturers" with some proof. Man, the level of ignorance is too high in your post.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
^ Let me address that one by one.

5 inch screen with the same resolution only makes it more pixelated and adds NOTHING to the real estate.
Dualsim: If this was a necessity you shouldnt even have looked at the L520 in the first place.

Front camera: Genuine advantage, but only if you use it.
Noise cancellation: Not sure if the 520 has it, GSMArena didnt seem to have any issues with call quality.
Battery: Both are neck and neck in terms of battery life - Whats the point of how large the battery is ?
Radio: Coming this August.

A 5 inch screen at 480 x 800 is also what the Galaxy Grand has,and since Grand is quite common in stores go and have a look. It will clear you of the misconception.
Dualsim is a feature which many of us need. Its great to have it while paying almost the same price.
Dual camera is a necessity to chat.Its common to have one.Its not a luxury anymore.
Naah Nokia dosnt have NC ....
1450 mah for a 4 inch device is WEAK compared to a 2250mAH device........ period.
Radio ....its not there thats it.

The S880 has no lags nothing, plays Dead Trigger crisp. Dont be a fan boy ,submit to the truth. Its Microsoft disease of over charging,look at their TABS.

If i get more for the same money why not.

Last edited:
OP
Flash

Flash

Lost in speed
L520 is dual-core, whereas L880 is a single core.
L520 has a IPS LCD screen with super sensitive touch + scratch resistant glass, whereas L880 has TFT.
L520 supports lots of Audio & Video formats than L880.
L520 supports HSDPA 21 Mbps, whereas L880 is HSDPA 7.2 Mbps.
Though L880 comes with a bigger battery, it's standby time is much lesser than L520.
FM Radio - ? There's an update on the way..
All WP8 mobiles got a Official support lifecycle of 36 months..

Sometimes, it's the bells and whistles that comes handy for daily tasks for a normal person.
Man, with that POV you would even say L720 is worthless for a price of 17k - as L520 & L720 share same specifications..

Am not an Android hater, infact i love it because of the amazing things that it can do than WP.
My above points are all directed to your "If i get more for the same money why not." comment..

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
L520 Screen is good but that glass on top makes it a sticky dirt magnet.
Download MX player and you have all the support its something that Lumia user has yet to earn and hence in the end lags behind in playing a lot of formats/apps over an android device. It would be novice of us to compare Windows 8 with Android at the moment. Windows will fall flat.Lets talk of the Device in general and not OS ,if you do that Lumia stands no chance.
Now about the HSDPA,in your own words moar and moar ,will your Service provider ever reach that bandwidth,its like sata6 and PCIE 3.0 !!!

Now what is important is ,Do I have a big screen? ,important for every damn thing from the moment you switch on your device. Does it have customozation option?,yes plenty.Does it have dual camera?, yes it does and we need it irrespective.Does it have Dual Sim?, a basic necessity for many ,yes it does,Noice Cancellation for good call quality yes,basics like a radio?, it does. Now does the phone lag or cant play a graphic intense game,no,it plays without any and I can play any game. I would say a wow to that and to hell with cores..all that for 10K even better. The phone has great build quality too ,after all its a Lenovo. Its in their Genes. And one more thing its one of the best Uis I have ever used.

It does not mean the L520 is a bad device,I just wish they price it right.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
I really dont wish to continue this discussion anymore. If you are happy with your S880, good for you :)

It seems you haven't ever even tried a WP8 phone, but I had my fling with android before I moved onto WP. WP is far from perfect, but its still the OS of my choice.

Different people have different needs and it seems you are better served by a droid. So be it. But to call L520 poorly specced against the S880 is WRONG. Its better specced and the newer device. Not to mention WP already runs smoother at this end of the market.

You dont seem to know much about the WP8 experience, and are all for the specs bandwagon - sure - its your money afterall.

But you have to be mindful of what you say. Calling the battery WEAK is a downright lie. It lasts just as long if not longer than the Lenovo going by the specifications. Adding a 'period' doesn't automatically make you right. Size of the battery is irrelevant if it doesnt last long.

BTW, from what I hear, the S880 struggles with Dead Trigger. For the kind of experience it offers, the L520 is priced just right.
As things stand right now, I wouldnt touch a sub 15 droid over WP. On the high end point of the market, its down to personal choice.

rdx_halo

In the zone
Nokia Lumia 520 doesn't even have a equalizer for music player! A 9.5k phone ! Nowadays even dumb phones have equalizer. Stop over glorifying Lumia 520

BTW, I never owned android phone. So no question of fan boy....

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Nokia Lumia 520 doesn't even have a equalizer for music player! A 9.5k phone ! Nowadays even dumb phones have equalizer. Stop over glorifying Lumia 520

Great point. I love how people buy phones based on the presence of music equalizer alone. /s

Of course it doesnt. Nobody claimed it was perfect. But overall as an experience, the 520 is hard to beat, even by handsets costing nearly twice as much - I am looking at you, Samsung Grand .

rdx_halo

In the zone
pranav you are reading too much between the lines, thats why your Nokia Pride is getting hurt. I never judged 520 on the merit of the equalizer absence. I'm just pointing out the pros and cons. Even if you own a device, you must come forward to clear away all the doubts and point out its strong and weak points. Thats what makes these forums relevant, otherwise this thread is no different than a Nokia (or incase of android) / Samsung AD.
We must admit all the budget so called smart phones are crap nowadays. But Nokia Lumia 520 is better than those Samsung craps.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
pranav you are reading too much between the lines, thats why your Nokia Pride is getting hurt. I never judged 520 on the merit of the equalizer absence. I'm just pointing out the pros and cons. Even if you own a device, you must come forward to clear away all the doubts and point out its strong and weak points. Thats what makes these forums relevant, otherwise this thread is no different than a Nokia (or incase of android) / Samsung AD.
We must admit all the budget so called smart phones are crap nowadays. But Nokia Lumia 520 is better than those Samsung craps.

If you notice, I am one of the few around here clearly mentioning in every comment how WP is far from perfect. That different people have different tastes. There is nothing that hurts me except people masquerading opinions as facts.

I am not justifying the absence of a equalizer, its very useful, near essential. But what he claimed was FACTUALLY INCORRECT, and there is no way I am letting someone blabber garbage about stuff they clearly don't seem to know much about. As I mentioned earlier, different devices suit different people and thats the choice each one of us has. But to CLAIM ABSOLUTENESS, to put forth opinions as facts is wrong. This is public forum, and if somebody says something wrong, I have every right to question it, prove them wrong.

When somebody makes a claim, they better be prepared to justify it appropriately. Now think that I am completely cool (which I am as I type this) and reread my comments. You are free to point out any mistakes or inaccuracies if you find them. Peace :)

Your last sentence is precisely what I was saying all along.

As things stand right now, I wouldnt touch a sub 15 droid over WP. On the high end point of the market, its down to personal choice.

rdx_halo

In the zone
Another clarification pranav0091, Is the Lumia 520 screen guard made of glass ? If yes, then will it withstand 3-4 foot fall?

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
Another clarification pranav0091, Is the Lumia 520 screen guard made of glass ? If yes, then will it withstand 3-4 foot fall?

I suppose you meant the display. Yes, its made of glass (nothing branded like Gorilla) and 3-4 foot fall is okay I guess, but then guessing is all I can do. Unless it falls on a hard pointed object directly landing on the screen I think it'd be fine.

rdx_halo

In the zone
I suppose you meant the display. Yes, its made of glass (nothing branded like Gorilla) and 3-4 foot fall is okay I guess, but then guessing is all I can do. Unless it falls on a hard pointed object directly landing on the screen I think it'd be fine.
damm that will give me nightmares ! I have the habit of dropping phone. Why the hell they used Glass? Where did you get Grado SR60i ? Its not available in India. I'm also looking to get a Grado SR60i .

a2mn2002

keen to learn..

Thats why i have rejected it....

Top Bottom