Low Power Consumption PC to Replace Laptop

TheSloth

The Slowest One
You will need ~60 AH to match ~4 hours of backup on a laptop. I don't think any UPS will be economical for this.
Laptops have very low TDP and are generally very aggressively throttled to conserve power.
You should be able to get something like a 7100u for ~30k or 8250u for ~40k. Also check if they have a 6 cell battery. Some low power ones come with a 4 cell battery.
6 cell battery is rare nowadays. Hell I am seeing 2 cell batteries in low end laptops.

OP
C

chris

In the zone
What do you guys think about this laptop

Buy Dell Inspiron 15 5575 Laptop computer online with best quality (Rs.44,190)

This is the only laptop available on that site with 8 GB RAM below INR 50K. I don't need windows, but it look there is no other way. Maybe i could go for a differnt brand laptop if that is better.

Other option is

New Inspiron 15 3576 Laptop

for Rs.43,290, It have i5-8250U CPU, but only 4 GB RAM (4 GB will do, 4 GB extra on Dell 5575 for INR 1K extra look like a good deal)

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
What do you guys think about this laptop

Buy Dell Inspiron 15 5575 Laptop computer online with best quality (Rs.44,190)

This is the only laptop available on that site with 8 GB RAM below INR 50K. I don't need windows, but it look there is no other way. Maybe i could go for a differnt brand laptop if that is better.

Other option is

New Inspiron 15 3576 Laptop

for Rs.43,290, It have i5-8250U CPU, but only 4 GB RAM (4 GB will do, 4 GB extra on Dell 5575 for INR 1K extra look like a good deal)
Overpriced af.
Better to get this (41k - 4.1k cashback):
Asus Vivobook X507 (Core i5-8th Gen /8 GB/1 TB/39.62 cm (15 Inch) FHD /Windows 10) UA-EJ456T Thin & Light Laptop (Gold, 1.68 Kg) Online at 18% off. |Paytm Mall
And then put in a m.2 250 GB ssd like Samsung 860 Evo (or Intel 760p/WD Black/ whichever is cheaper)

OP
C

chris

In the zone
Thanks, that looks good, i perfer Intel 8th Gen with 8 GB RAM. almost placed order, but they don't ship to my pin code, i may need to use some drop shipping method to differnt address.

ssb1551

Technomancer
How about an inverter for PC? That should give you a back up of 5-6 hours.You can connect your UPS to inverter & you are all set to go.

OP
C

chris

In the zone
How about an inverter for PC? That should give you a back up of 5-6 hours.You can connect your UPS to inverter & you are all set to go.

This is what my UPS guy recommended. Is inverter more efficient than a UPS ? He recommended "luminous inverter". One of the positive thing he recommended was fast charging, say you have no power for a day and you get 1 hour power, then inverter will charge quickly, you will be able to get 1 hour backup, if UPS, it take much more time to charge. When i said this to someone who is not that tech, said UPS company like APC knows what is best to charge than local inverter company, they follow best practices.

I am almost sold to "Asus Vivobook X507" laptop.

EDIT: Just called PayTM support, even if i use third party address for them to ship, they don't give me invoice. They will invoice to third party addressonly. I need invoice on my address for tax purpose. Look like paytm is not an option.

Any recommendation from Amazon ?

Last edited:

Niilesh

Padawan
This is what my UPS guy recommended. Is inverter more efficient than a UPS ? He recommended "luminous inverter". One of the positive thing he recommended was fast charging, say you have no power for a day and you get 1 hour power, then inverter will charge quickly, you will be able to get 1 hour backup, if UPS, it take much more time to charge. When i said this to someone who is not that tech, said UPS company like APC knows what is best to charge than local inverter company, they follow best practices.

I am almost sold to "Asus Vivobook X507" laptop.

EDIT: Just called PayTM support, even if i use third party address for them to ship, they don't give me invoice. They will invoice to third party addressonly. I need invoice on my address for tax purpose. Look like paytm is not an option.

Any recommendation from Amazon ?
X507 used to be payTM mall exclusive but are now available at Amazon and Flipkart: *www.amazon.in/VivoBook-X507UA-EJ456T-Graphics-Windows-warranty/dp/B07H1FYF11/

OP
C

chris

In the zone
Thanks, i ended up buying a deskop. Some components are available in local market, so they asked if its ok for alternative.

Code:
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 6600 +tax
Gigabyte B450M-D3H  5500+tax
8Gb Zion ram Blaze 3000Fsb  4650+tax 
120gb kingston 1800+tax
Psu Antec 350w 1600+tax 
Corsair 100R cabinet 2250+tax

This is the configuration i get. Hope it is not that bad. Price is much better compared to original price posted here. Total Rs. 26432.00/-

OP
C

chris

In the zone
RAM, i was thinking it perform somewhat similar because it is a chip. This affect performance much or it is silight differnce ? Next time i will keep this in mind and ask for advice on components suggested by them.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
RAM, i was thinking it perform somewhat similar because it is a chip. This affect performance much or it is silight differnce ? Next time i will keep this in mind and ask for advice on components suggested by them.
Get it replaced with a Corsair/G skill/Kingston module.

OP
C

chris

In the zone
Get it replaced with a Corsair/G skill/Kingston module.

They already assembled PC and shipped it so i have to live with it.

Ryzen 2200 G have problem running on Ubuntu 18.04, some graphics issue, boot crash with blank screen or some times bad display (half of the screen deformed). To fix i had to use ubuntu mainline kernal 18.04, now my old data drives (zfs) won't work.

chetansha

In the zone
Thanks, i ended up buying a deskop. Some components are available in local market, so they asked if its ok for alternative.

Code:
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 6600 +tax
Gigabyte B450M-D3H  5500+tax
8Gb Zion ram Blaze 3000Fsb  4650+tax 
120gb kingston 1800+tax
Psu Antec 350w 1600+tax 
Corsair 100R cabinet 2250+tax

This is the configuration i get. Hope it is not that bad. Price is much better compared to original price posted here. Total Rs. 26432.00/-
Where did you get gigabyte Mobo for 5500/-

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

OP
C

chris

In the zone
Abacus Peripherals Pvt Ltd, Kochi

Abacus Peripherals Pvt Ltd – .

They are delaers for ZION RAM, that is the reason why they give me that RAM. Asking for some other RAM may not work as they are the dealer for this. I am thinking of getting another 8 GB RAM so i can run some VMS in case needed. Currenly the iGPU take 1 GB of RAM, so only 7 GB available for OS.

chetansha

In the zone
Abacus Peripherals Pvt Ltd, Kochi

Abacus Peripherals Pvt Ltd – .

They are delaers for ZION RAM, that is the reason why they give me that RAM. Asking for some other RAM may not work as they are the dealer for this. I am thinking of getting another 8 GB RAM so i can run some VMS in case needed. Currenly the iGPU take 1 GB of RAM, so only 7 GB available for OS.
They manufacturers of Zion ram.
Thanks for the link. A friend is looking for mid range board. Btw the price 5500 is net or tax will be added later ?

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Had OP knew to assemble the system, this wouldn't had happen, he could have got the parts himself from the dealer whatever was available and then assemble at home. The shopkeeper/assembler played him.

OP
C

chris

In the zone
Thanks for the link. A friend is looking for mid range board. Btw the price 5500 is net or tax will be added later ?

Tax extra.

Well, nobody even mentioned Zion or this dealer to buy components from.

It was my mistake, i asked the guy who fix my PC. He work for them, so he suggested me this RAM. Being in a rush and confused state (Laptop or Desktop, Should i take new PC or Keep using old PC, But a new UPS or Inverter, etc..), i said OK.

Now i have to be happy whatever i have. So far everything works good. Only problem is Ubuntu 18.04 support, that can happen with any new hardware, i have to wait for the hardware to properly supported.

Top Bottom