Low Power Consumption PC to Replace Laptop

chris

In the zone
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')

Ans: Programming, No Gaming

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.

Ans: 45K

3. Planning to overclock?

Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?

Ans: Ubuntu 18.04

5. How much hard drive space is needed?

Ans: Not much, maybe 50 GB, prefer SSD

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.

Ans: No, already got Dell 24 inch monitor

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?

Ans: Keyboard, mouse, monitor

8. When are you planning to buy the system?

Ans: ASAP

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?

Ans: assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?

Ans: Kerala, will purchase locally as i need it ASAP, can't wait for online shipping

11. Anything else which you would like to say?

Ans:

Current system i am replacing is a laptop with CPU "1.7GHz Intel Core i3-4005U 4th Gen Processor", that stopped working. I was using external monitor with this laptop. I can use same monitor with new

I am not sure if i get a new Laptop or Desktop. Mobility is not a problem. The advantage i see on laptop is low power consumption. Can we have a desktop build with low power consumption like a laptop ? How about we use a Pentium G model ? I don't need lot of CPU power as mostly i will be using a programming GUI (JetBrain PHPStrom), Google Chrome and Firefox.

Minion

Conversation Architect
AMD Ryzen 3 2200G APU-8,500
MSI B450M MORTAR-8,900
CORSAIR 8GB DDR4 CMK8GX4M1A2400C16R-5,800
KINGSTON A400 240GB-3,400
CORSAIR CS450M-5,500
NZXT H500 Matte Black-6,000

Total:-38k

New gen. processors are very efficient so you don't need to worry about power consumption I also added a gold certified PSU too for better efficiency

billubakra

Conversation Architect
+1 for the specs given above
Do check these hdd's since your consumption will be low
Buy Online Kingston A400 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC SSD SA400S37/120G In India
Buy Online Kingston SSDNow UV400 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC SSD SUV400S37/120G In India

Also check cases like Spec-01, 02 to save some bucks.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Are there any problems on setting up server, dB and/or app on Ubuntu/linux cause of AMD processor. Anyone here running these on AMD can confirm??

OP
C

chris

In the zone
I read intel generate less heat and less power consumption. I don't have researched on this much, so i am not sure.

It would cost him less. Both G5400 and G4560 cost 6.5k and a 300 series mobo would be around 5-7k.

I was thinking of Pentium G4560. Never know there was G5400.

They are back in stock? Great then. AMD is more future proof, isn't it?

Pentium G stil have shortage, something like 1 year ago, i was going to buy this CPU and was out of stock, i have to buy older model.

How is AMD future proof ? You can use newer gen CPU on same mobo ? I am not planing to upgrade CPU, but since i have other PC with intel, maybe i can swap some component if one die.

OP
C

chris

In the zone
better to get a laptop though, for programming.

I am checking this option too. One advantage is if power go, i get backup from the battery. A laptop can last 4 to 5 hours on the small battery it have. Since mobility is not needed, i am ok with desktop, but i want more backup time, i am confused about a UPS, i called local UPS guy for a UPS, he trying to sell me Inverter saying it is better. He told i need a small UPS, then use Inverter so i get 6 hour+ backup (the Inverter setup cost 23K, comes with 200 AH battery). A laptop with small battery give several hours of backup, this is why if i go with Desktop, i need a low power consuming one.

mobo

Broken In
Inverter is going to be cheaper if you really need more backup than a 6-7 AH UPS, but you probably don't need 200AH. A 100 AH inverter will last you 6+ hours if you only run the computer on it.
Only issue is inverters can have a higher transfer time. Also, they mostly lack voltage stabilisation(AVR), though many UPSs lack it too.

A laptop might serve your use case better.

OP
C

chris

In the zone
Inverter is going to be cheaper if you really need more backup than a 6-7 AH UPS, but you probably don't need 200AH. A 100 AH inverter will last you 6+ hours if you only run the computer on it.
Only issue is inverters can have a higher transfer time. Also, they mostly lack voltage stabilisation(AVR), though many UPSs lack it too.

A laptop might serve your use case better.

When i called UPS guy, he asked if i have a small UPS, i said yes, he said we connect Inverter to this smal UPS, that will fix the problem with voltable stabilisation and switching time. I doubt he get more commision on it, i wanted APC UPS, he says it is china made and he don't sell to customers. He is APC authrosed service center in my area.

How a small battery in laptop give 5 hour backup ? A desktop PC use much more power than a laptop ? If i am going to buy a UPS for desktop that give similar backup as a laptop, which UPS i will need ?

icebags

Technomancer
is power cut a serious problem at your area, and you are looking for inverter for the whole house ? if not, who spends 23k for computer backup lol.

i guess an i3 laptop with 8gb ram around 25-30k is good for your job. @Minion will just suggest you a suitable model. and when you use ubuntu, don't forget to set your snappiness at 5-10.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
is power cut a serious problem at your area, and you are looking for inverter for the whole house ? if not, who spends 23k for computer backup lol.

i guess an i3 laptop with 8gb ram around 25-30k is good for your job. @Minion will just suggest you a suitable model. and when you use ubuntu, don't forget to set your snappiness at 5-10.

What do you mean by your last statement?

mobo

Broken In
When i called UPS guy, he asked if i have a small UPS, i said yes, he said we connect Inverter to this smal UPS, that will fix the problem with voltable stabilisation and switching time. I doubt he get more commision on it, i wanted APC UPS, he says it is china made and he don't sell to customers. He is APC authrosed service center in my area.

How a small battery in laptop give 5 hour backup ? A desktop PC use much more power than a laptop ? If i am going to buy a UPS for desktop that give similar backup as a laptop, which UPS i will need ?

You will need ~60 AH to match ~4 hours of backup on a laptop. I don't think any UPS will be economical for this.
Laptops have very low TDP and are generally very aggressively throttled to conserve power.
You should be able to get something like a 7100u for ~30k or 8250u for ~40k. Also check if they have a 6 cell battery. Some low power ones come with a 4 cell battery.

Top Bottom