Looking to buy a Repeater...

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Hey guys...so just some time back,i had purchased an Asus RT N13U B1 router for my wifi use at home...Its well worth the money and i am more than satisfied with this product...But my problem in my house is that the router signal doesn't reach the whole house because of too many walls and other obstructions.....so i was thinking whether a repeater would work in this case and increase or boost the signal in my house...is it possible to work this way??Also how do i configure it...If i add a repeater...will it improve the signal...Could you guys pls give a suggestion on a good reliable router...i do not know how much a repeater cost...so can't give an estimate but willing to spend around 1.5k or maybe more...Pls help...Thank you

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Your primary uses? And how much extra range are looking to gain?

Mainly to surf and download...need laptops,tabs etc to be connected as well since its not reaching the other side of the house...erm...range..well as max as i can get with this budget..

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
TP-LINK TL-WA701ND 150Mbps Wireless N Access Point - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com

Thanks for the suggestion...Now first of all,with just one antenna...is it powerful enough to transmit it further??How do u setup a repeater...do you need to connect it to any cable??Because i was planning on putting a repeater somewhere in the middle...so how to setup...any powerful options other than this...

what is the range in this model as well...

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
see this:
Extend your Wifi coverage with a repeater - Tech2buzz.com
note that in comments author geekyranjit posted that this repeater works with WPA but not WPA2.also its range should be approx same as your asus router though in flipkart page range is given as 30m.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Yeah saw the techbuzz review..but to me the model seems different..was it update lately???

papul1993

not a newbie.....
Buy just about any wireless n router that has the repeater function.

But I would suggest you buy a cheap used router that supports dd wrt.
Ddwrt is like custom ROM for android phones. It is a firmware that extends the capabilities of the router.
You will save a lot this way instead of buying a brand new device.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Buy just about any wireless n router that has the repeater function.

But I would suggest you buy a cheap used router that supports dd wrt.
Ddwrt is like custom ROM for android phones. It is a firmware that extends the capabilities of the router.
You will save a lot this way instead of buying a brand new device.

yeah i am aware of the dd wrt capability....planning on putting that in the tp link router suggested above..hopefully there is one available for it...if so..could you suggest some models..should i go ahead with wa701nd??Also since this is a repeater..how do i upload the dd wrt in this???

also with dd wrt..will the range improve..because thats my priority at the moment..already have a good asus router to support it...

Another doubt i had was this...
*www.flipkart.com/tp-link-tl-wa701nd-150mbps-wireless-n-access-point/p/itmdetbpt5fdsau4
*www.primeabgb.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=5126&category_id=370&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

Are these two models different...can't figure out why the FK one looks different...techbuzz one looks like the primeabgb one though...

Rajesh345

Youngling
Router Database | www.dd-wrt.com

You can use this page to find if router support DD-WRT .

WA701ND doesnt support

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Go for this TP-LINK TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless N Router - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com

any reason y??How is it in comparison to the model suggested above??It seems to have a 5dbi antenna...any better than the first model suggested..will it work in repeater mode...

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
don't just assume that model is dd-wrt compatible without knowing hardware revision no.e.g.asus RT-N13U is very different from asus RT-N13U B1. similarly in case of tp-link there are revision nos. & just because one revision of a model is supported doesn't necessarily mean that other revision of same model will be supported too.dd-wrt is used to add extra features to a router like repeater mode if not available in default firmware but supported by router hardware & obviously a repeater does not need dd-wrt to add this function.

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
It will, if you install ddwrt.

Searched for a compatible ddwrt firmware...couldn't find for this model..will it be equally good without it?

don't just assume that model is dd-wrt compatible without knowing hardware revision no.e.g.asus RT-N13U is very different from asus RT-N13U B1. similarly in case of tp-link there are revision nos. & just because one revision of a model is supported doesn't necessarily mean that other revision of same model will be supported too.dd-wrt is used to add extra features to a router like repeater mode if not available in default firmware but supported by router hardware & obviously a repeater does not need dd-wrt to add this function.

Hmm i c...do agree with what you say...

shreymittal

Being Human
just take a look at this thread you will get your answer cheap and perfect. :p
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/show-off/118889-showoff-thread-29.html

OP
Ronnie11

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
just take a look at this thread you will get your answer cheap and perfect. :p
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/show-off/118889-showoff-thread-29.html

yeah i had seen it...but unfortunately its not possible for me to do...also i need way more range than it can give... :)

So pls help me with a repeater...which one to go for???

shreymittal

Being Human
yeah i had seen it...but unfortunately its not possible for me to do...also i need way more range than it can give... :)

So pls help me with a repeater...which one to go for???

Dude i know two wireless range extenders
TL-WA830RE 300MBPS TL-WA830RE - Welcome to TP-LINK
TL-WA730RE 150MBPS TL-WA730RE - Welcome to TP-LINK
BTW which modem are you using?:-?

Top Bottom