Looking for a PSU and GFX Card upgrade

CrashOveride

Broken In
Hey all!

I'm looking out for a GFX Card upgrade, since my old one is fairly outdated by now. My current spcs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3Ghz
GFX Card: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770
PSU: :oops: (desi) VIP 800W <-- I want to upgrade this as well :p
RAM: Transcend 8GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1333 Mhz.
Display Resolution: 1440x900.

I primarily use my system to play games at high~very high settings, and with a bit of overclocking, my GPU could take it. But now, with the influx of the new games (and the upcoming Crysis 3, GTA V, etc) I think its time for an upgrade.

My budget would be around 10K (a little above wouldnt hurt) for the graphics card. And around 3K for the PSU.

Thanks a lot!

tkin

Back to school!!
Hmm, get Sapphire HD7850 for 12.5k and Corsair GS500 for 3.5k(kolkata price).

If you can't spare that much a GTX650Ti for 10k would work as well(HD7850 would be faster, worth extra 2k).

OP
C

CrashOveride

Broken In
Thanks a bunch, I was originally thinking of the 650Ti (never really knew about the 7850)! But anyway, I was wondering, does Nvidia have any computational advantage (in this case the 650Ti) compared to ATI (here, HD 7850) with CUDA and such? Also, should I move to purchase right away, or should I wait for prices to drop and/or new product launches?

edit: And finally, Is there any reason to go for a particular brand (like Sapphire)? Cost differences? Performance differences?

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
No. Actually, GTX6xx series cards are inferior in terms of computational power than AMD 7xxx counterparts.

tkin

Back to school!!
Thanks a bunch, I was originally thinking of the 650Ti (never really knew about the 7850)! But anyway, I was wondering, does Nvidia have any computational advantage (in this case the 650Ti) compared to ATI (here, HD 7850) with CUDA and such? Also, should I move to purchase right away, or should I wait for prices to drop and/or new product launches?

edit: And finally, Is there any reason to go for a particular brand (like Sapphire)? Cost differences? Performance differences?
A. All nvidia 6xx cards have their computational power stripped out except one cuda unit, so even a 7770 could beat a 680 in compute.

B. New products will come at may/june or later, its your choice. but I'd advise you to buy it now.

C. Sapphire is more reliable, better service and provides better custom cooler(Vapor X), only MSI can match sapphire in terms of cooling or reliability but a tad more costly.

OP
C

CrashOveride

Broken In
Lol, and to think I was led to believe otherwise!

Anyway, with your valuable advice and some research, I've decided to get the Sapphire HD 7850!
However, one final question. Would my CPU bottleneck the GPU? Considering that its fairly old, or should I consider an update for that as well? However, I'd have to change my motherboard if those Hexa-core processors aren't much of an upgrade :-?

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
mdcomputers.in/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=836
Get the 2 GB version if you want from here...

www.mdcomputers.in/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=836
Get the 2 GB version if you want from here...

OP
C

CrashOveride

Broken In
Hello again!
Since I had a little bit of a financial crunch earlier, I was unable to purchase the Video Card and the PSU at that time, however, I plan on doing so in the next couple of days... Do you still recommend the same products (Sapphire HD 7850 and Corsair GS500), or should I consider something else? My budget is the same as before.

Thanks again!

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Hey all!

I'm looking out for a GFX Card upgrade, since my old one is fairly outdated by now. My current spcs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945 @ 3Ghz
GFX Card: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770
PSU: :oops: (desi) VIP 800W <-- I want to upgrade this as well :p
RAM: Transcend 8GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1333 Mhz.
Display Resolution: 1440x900.

I primarily use my system to play games at high~very high settings, and with a bit of overclocking, my GPU could take it. But now, with the influx of the new games (and the upcoming Crysis 3, GTA V, etc) I think its time for an upgrade.

My budget would be around 10K (a little above wouldnt hurt) for the graphics card. And around 3K for the PSU.

Thanks a lot!

If you can extend your budget a little then you can get Sapphire HD7850 2GB @13.5k & Corsair CX430 v2 @2.6k which is best but if you cannot extend your budget then Gigabyte HD7770 1GB OC @ 10.5k is your best bet.

tkin

Back to school!!
Hello again!
Since I had a little bit of a financial crunch earlier, I was unable to purchase the Video Card and the PSU at that time, however, I plan on doing so in the next couple of days... Do you still recommend the same products (Sapphire HD 7850 and Corsair GS500), or should I consider something else? My budget is the same as before.

Thanks again!
Yes, go with those.

Top Bottom