Little help with the SB i7 Config :)

giri1991

Broken In
Well I am finally upgrading from my i5 to Sandy Bridge i7 along with a heavier GPU.

I planned to buy i7-2600 / 3.4 GHz along with ATI HD 6950.

Now what board will I be needing ? Regarding the board, I want a non VGA one :) Something like Intel DP55WB that I used for my i5. But something better with 3.0 USB support. And another query is regarding Physx, What is it ? Do I really need one along with HD 6950 ? If so what will it do ?

And also about PSU ? What will I be needing ? My previous ones were Tagan 600W (Dead) and Huntkey 750W. Will Huntkey do good for the new config too ? Or I need a new / better one ?

I planned to buy 16 Gigs of RAM, Since I will be doing some RAM based operations, I planned to buy Transcend 4 X 4 1333 MHz. Is that fine ?

I will be definitely needing a cooler unit too, Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance too :)

Piyush

Lanaya
Cant say much about mobo query,wait for other's advices

physx is the engine owned and developed by ageia
it mainly enhances the gaming quality not performance
bcoz it requires its own calculations for additional effects
so the game looks more realistic but may run slow if hardware is not upto the mark
if a game supports physx it does not man u should have physx card by nvidia only
even the ATI cards can be used to run those game but that gaming quality and performance may differ with physx on
for more info:PhysX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

regarding ur PSU,ur huntkey 750W will do easily

and last one
why are u planning to add 16 gigs of RAM
any particular reason?

OP
G

giri1991

Broken In
So Physx is like an additional addon unit ? Or its a special thinge found on Nvidia cards ? And If its an addon type, Is it available here ? What slot it needs ? PCI or PCI x16 ?

Right, Huntkey saves some money :) Well I bought it just 3 months back, That worried me :D

I will be doing lota encoding and PS and some database based operations. Presently I am stuck with 4 Gigs 2x2 1333 Mhz which gives me dump full errors while handling the encoding part. You think 16 gig 1333 is too much or slow ? If so then whats the alternative ?

So no 3.0 boards out yet eh ? For SB cores ?

Cant say much about mobo query,wait for other's advices

physx is the engine owned and developed by ageia
it mainly enhances the gaming quality not performance
bcoz it requires its own calculations for additional effects
so the game looks more realistic but may run slow if hardware is not upto the mark
if a game supports physx it does not man u should have physx card by nvidia only
even the ATI cards can be used to run those game but that gaming quality and performance may differ with physx on
for more info:PhysX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

regarding ur PSU,ur huntkey 750W will do easily

and last one
why are u planning to add 16 gigs of RAM
any particular reason?

Piyush

Lanaya
So Physx is like an additional addon unit ? Or its a special thinge found on Nvidia cards ? And If its an addon type, Is it available here ? What slot it needs ? PCI or PCI x16 ?

Right, Huntkey saves some money :) Well I bought it just 3 months back, That worried me :D

I will be doing lota encoding and PS and some database based operations. Presently I am stuck with 4 Gigs 2x2 1333 Mhz which gives me dump full errors while handling the encoding part. You think 16 gig 1333 is too much or slow ? If so then whats the alternative ?

So no 3.0 boards out yet eh ? For SB cores ?

look
both nvidia and AMD will be able to play physx supported games
it is a feature in the game itself that u may enable/disable at any time
it sure makes a game lil slower
but it doesnt matter if u have powerful card
i mean if u wanna feel the quality of physx feature then u must go for nvidia card

8gb ram would be more than enough
yea 4gb was almost the min u required
but 8gb will do just fine

OP
G

giri1991

Broken In
Alright, That clears :) And regarding the ram again, Normal 2 X 4 Gig 1333 Mhz will do ? Or I need to get more faster ram ?

And also hoping someone could clear the Mobo part :)

look
both nvidia and AMD will be able to play physx supported games
it is a feature in the game itself that u may enable/disable at any time
it sure makes a game lil slower
but it doesnt matter if u have powerful card
i mean if u wanna feel the quality of physx feature then u must go for nvidia card

8gb ram would be more than enough
yea 4gb was almost the min u required
but 8gb will do just fine

OP
G

giri1991

Broken In
Well now I am at Chennai with my lappy, The PC's back home at Erode ... resting.

The thing is MegUI fails a lot with memory full reason's, I am not worried about the encoding rate / speed caz I am clearly aware its based on the cores and not the ram, But the ripping part where I test with various filters gives me goosebumps and dump fails caz it cant instantly gimme previews ...

Sorry again that I am inaccessible with my PC and cant help regarding with my errors.

You got any idea what cooling device will I be needing if i get the new ATI HD 6950 ?

Also wondering how much Blu-Ray Read / Burners cost ?

can u post the memory dump errors here?

Piyush

Lanaya
for coolers
Zalman VF2000
Zalman VF3000

no idea regarding Blue rays

but u wont require them if u have no plans for OCing them

Last edited:
OP
G

giri1991

Broken In
Nope no idea of OCing at the moment, But definitely after some while :)

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/134060-pc-buying-guide-january-2011-a.html

After checking there, I kinda got an idea about Physx config's ... Its like we can use a low end Nvidia card with Physx tech and boost it as an Physx unit ?

That mobo seems promising and also with crossfire -> ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards - ASUS P8H67-M EVO

Regarding HDD,

I thought of buying a SDD for boot will a 60 GB SDD do ? Any good suggestions ?

for coolers
Zalman VF2000
Zalman VF3000

no idea regarding Blue rays

but u wont require them if u have no plans for OCing them

Piyush

Lanaya
Nope no idea of OCing at the moment, But definitely after some while :)

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/134060-pc-buying-guide-january-2011-a.html

After checking there, I kinda got an idea about Physx config's ... Its like we can use a low end Nvidia card with Physx tech and boost it as an Physx unit ?

That mobo seems promising and also with crossfire -> ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards - ASUS P8H67-M EVO

Regarding HDD,

I thought of buying a SDD for boot will a 60 GB SDD do ? Any good suggestions ?
if u have no plans for overclocking for now then lets ditch the idea of cooler
u can add it later

and yes if ur motherboard allows multi pu setups thens its good to use one nvidia card for its physx
but the mobo support should be there
not all motherboards can allow both AMD and NVIDIA cards at the same moment
so u have to be sure about the mobo

and using 60gb SSD for boot up is a nice idea
havent heard recently from anyone using this trick
most of the guys think of it and then just leave the idea
u can try it if u want

OP
G

giri1991

Broken In
Well yea, 60 GB SSD is almost around 7k and thats the reason for drops ...

Now I am not quite sure how that AUSX P8H67-M EVO gonna work on Physx config. Really need someone to confirm that!

if u have no plans for overclocking for now then lets ditch the idea of cooler
u can add it later

and yes if ur motherboard allows multi pu setups thens its good to use one nvidia card for its physx
but the mobo support should be there
not all motherboards can allow both AMD and NVIDIA cards at the same moment
so u have to be sure about the mobo

and using 60gb SSD for boot up is a nice idea
havent heard recently from anyone using this trick
most of the guys think of it and then just leave the idea
u can try it if u want

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
1) That CPU (2600) doesn't support OC. You need 2600K for OCing. Its not available as of yet.
2) That motherboard also doesn't support OCing. You need a P67 board.
MSI P67A-GD55 @ 10k
P8P67 @ 10.5k
Sabertooth P67 @ 12.5k

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ giri1991

Hi buddy. I would love to help you anytime. Regarding your queries, i guess you have a pretty high budget at around 80k. Anyway please confirm it so we can suggest you better. Regarding the psu, i reckon you sell it and get a better psu from corsair , seasonic or antec.

Regarding your physx query, if you like to stick with physx, then get a fast nvidia card and sli it later if you wish to. No need for a physx configuration. Amd cards do not understand the x86 based instruction set that physx codepath utilises and hence unable to render the physx effects and results in unplayable frame rates with physx on.

Keeping the budget at 80k max check the following:

Intel core i7 2600k @ 17k(most likely and maybe less)
Asus P8P67 Deluxe @ 11.8k
Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 2*2GB @ 2.9k
WD 1 TB Black 6Gbps SATA3 @ 5k
Seasonic 850W S12D-850 80+ Silver Certification psu @ 7.1k
Dell ST2220L 21.5” W Full HD Monitor with LED @ 8.5k
MSI N570 GTX Graphics Card @ 21k
Apc 1.1kva ups @ 4.5k
NZXT Gamma @ 2k

Total = 79.8k

Please comment your views.....

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
G

giri1991

Broken In
Wow, Sorry that I never spoke about budget, Sadly I didnt have one ... I have around some 100k in hand but not gonna spend everything, Caz I gotta need to buy a new macbook pro coming may, so gotta save atleast a little :)

570 GTX seems powerful enough than a normal HD 6950 and thanks my physx queries kinda finally solved :D Only MSI giving away 570 at the moment ? Or there are manu's giving 570 ? Just wondering, Is 570 an power hungry card ? What about heat ?

Wow your mobo really saved my day, I really wanted Bluetooth and your suggestion got one ... And I feel P8P67 EVO is quite enough for me, If there isnt a big price diff yeap I will go for the Deluxe one :)

And this is what I found ...

Intel® P67 Express Chipset
2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (gray)
4 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports (blue)
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10
Marvell® PCIe 9128 SATA 6Gb/s controller with HyperDuo function*
2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (navy blue)

So 4 6.0 Gb/s ports ? Thats sweet :)

One more big question is whats the diff between 2600k and 2600, When I compared both at intel web, I really didnt find any big difference ... And which one is more suitable for future overclocking ?

Regarding the Ram, I am expecting atleast 8 Gigs here :) Since Piyush suggested that will be enough for me ... I will stick to it :) And I thought of getting 2 X 4 GB 1333 Mhz blocks ... Seems like you got alternatives ? Wondering about its effectiveness :)

And this is my weird HDD requirement.

60 GB SSD (Your suggestion ?)
500 GD HDD (Gaming / Encoding) (Your suggestion ?)
500 GB HDD (Music) (normal segate)
2 TB HDD (Pure Dump Storage) (Thought of getting the normal segate)

Also planning to reuse my damn old 250 GB HDD :D For downloading purposes :D

I will be heavily using the SDD and 2nd HDD, 3rd HDD will have minimal use and 4th will be used very rarely, You may really wonder why I aint preferring a External drive over the 2 TB HDD, Well the frank truth is cost, Cant afford that :D I have a basic question over HDD idling, Do they ever idle ? Or they always run ? And is it possible to stop them using power management ? Like in Laptops ?

Any idea about Blu-Ray read / burners ? Available ? Or will they be cheap in near future ? And regarding the monitor, I have no idea how LED's perform ... But as I checked the product page, It looks promising :) More suggestions ?

Please fill the pc build questionnaire template.

@ giri1991

Hi buddy. I would love to help you anytime. Regarding your queries, i guess you have a pretty high budget at around 80k. Anyway please confirm it so we can suggest you better. Regarding the psu, i reckon you sell it and get a better psu from corsair , seasonic or antec.

Regarding your physx query, if you like to stick with physx, then get a fast nvidia card and sli it later if you wish to. No need for a physx configuration. Amd cards do not understand the x86 based instruction set that physx codepath utilises and hence unable to render the physx effects and results in unplayable frame rates with physx on.

Keeping the budget at 80k max check the following:

Intel core i7 2600k @ 17k(most likely and maybe less)
Asus P8P67 Deluxe @ 11.8k
Corsair XMS3 CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 2*2GB @ 2.9k
WD 1 TB Black 6Gbps SATA3 @ 5k
Seasonic 850W S12D-850 80+ Silver Certification psu @ 7.1k
Dell ST2220L 21.5” W Full HD Monitor with LED @ 8.5k
MSI N570 GTX Graphics Card @ 21k
Apc 1.1kva ups @ 4.5k
NZXT Gamma @ 2k

Total = 79.8k

Please comment your views.....

Thanks

Last edited:

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
One more big question is whats the diff between 2600k and 2600, When I compared both at intel web, I really didnt find any big difference ... And which one is more suitable for future overclocking ?

2600K - Unlocked multipliers. Damn good OCers
2600 - Not much into the OCing business.

Simple. So get K series and IMO a gamer/enthusiast will never buy a non-K series CPU. :D

OP
G

giri1991

Broken In
Right! The other queries ?

Sabertooth P67 @ 12.5k just wow! But my choice over P8P67 EVO ? Is it good ? OC'able ? I just want that caz of the Bluetooth support :)

1) That CPU (2600) doesn't support OC. You need 2600K for OCing. Its not available as of yet.
2) That motherboard also doesn't support OCing. You need a P67 board.
MSI P67A-GD55 @ 10k
P8P67 @ 10.5k
Sabertooth P67 @ 12.5k

2600K - Unlocked multipliers. Damn good OCers
2600 - Not much into the OCing business.

Simple. So get K series and IMO a gamer/enthusiast will never buy a non-K series CPU. :D

Last edited:

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
i had started reading sabertooth review yesterday only:grin:
will tell you soon.

for SSD look at Coresair Force or Mushkin Callisto Deluxe.
look at Seagate 500GB 7200.12 or WD 500GB Blue for game storage. but load the game you currently play on SSD as OS takes 20-25gb only.
for music look at WD 500GB green.
for dumps again look at WD 1TB Green. i think dumps dont take up 2TB.

yup 8GB sufficient. get from corsair, g.skill, kingston.

since your budget is good look at DELL Ultrasharp U2311H IPS panel.

Core i7 2600K @ 17k~
ASUS Sabertooth P67 @ 12.5k~ (will tell soon)
Corsair 2*4GB DDR3 1333 @ 4.6k
Zotac/MSI GTX570 @ 21.5k(since you need physx. otherwise Sapphire/ MSI HD6970)
Mushkin Callisto Deluxe 60GB/ Corsair Force 60GB @ 8k~
Seagate 500GB 7200.12/WD 500GB Blue @ 1.7k
WD 500GB Green @ 1.7k
WD 1TB Green @ 2.7k
PSU - dont know about Huntkey. let someone else reply.
CM 690 II Plus @ 5k
DELL Ultrasharp U2311H @ 13.7k

or leave the SSD for now. this rig is costing 88k. it will be good if you specify budget. its easier for us to suggest.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Right! The other queries ?

Sabertooth P67 @ 12.5k just wow! But my choice over P8P67 EVO ? Is it good ? OC'able ? I just want that caz of the Bluetooth support :)

Yes, ASUS Sabertooth is awesome and it's VFM motherboard IMO. I don't heard any exceptional review about P8P67 EVO, so can't comment about it.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ giri1991

You can go for p67 sabertooth. As far as the ssd, check corsair 60gb @ 6k . make it your primary partition. Go for gtx 580 @ 30k instead of 570. It simply demolishes the competition(read 6970).

Top Bottom