Lisa - Linux Mint 12

RahulB

Journeyman
Linux Mint has always been very user friendly...

It is aimed at beginners, agreed..
However, what do you think of these..

1. Sabayon: Distro based on performance oriented Gentoo, however I find it more easier to use than Mint..

SABAYON: Sabayon | Home

2. Zorin OS: For complete newcomers to Linux who do not want to leave the Windows userspace, I think Zorin is even more user friendly than Mint.

ZORIN OS: Zorin OS - Home

:)):)):)):))

vaithy

In the zone
Linux Mint has always been very user friendly...

It is aimed at beginners, agreed..
However, what do you think of these..

2. Zorin OS: For complete newcomers to Linux who do not want to leave the Windows userspace, I think Zorin is even more user friendly than Mint.

ZORIN OS: Zorin OS - Home

:)):)):)):))

I seconded this...Use Zorin Lite which based on Lubuntu but with ability to customization of UI..

vaithy

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Not a fan of any kind of emulating Windows or Mac OS X look and feel. If you want to come over here, learn to work by our style which is every bit as good, if not better rather than stagnating your mind with proprietary desktops.
Taking enhancements is fine, but just exactly Windows look and feel is so meh.
If you want a Windows look and feel, and want to use your OS exactly like Windows, stick with Windows.

hotshot05

I luv Digit
The final stable version of Linux Mint 12 code named Lisa has been released today :clap: :hap2:

It comes with Gnome 3 but has been heavily skinned so that Gnome 2 lovers don't feel overwhelmed. This version also includes Gnome 2.

Will have to stay up till 2am to download it. This version is sure to be awesome :eek:hyeah:

Release News - Linux Mint 12 “Lisaâ€￾ released | Linux Mint – India community

Download page - Download | Linux Mint – India community

(Added this news here as I did not want to create a separate thread about this)

hotshot05

I luv Digit
Thanks for the update. :) Downloading.

have you finished downloading?
I downloaded and made a LiveUSB stick to boot into it. Looks nice.
Only one problem that I could readily spot is - whenever I change the volume using the hardware keys in my laptop, the animation of the speaker that is shown, is blurry.
But if I change the brightness, the animation shown is clear.

Anybody else having this issue?

@krow - Update the first post with the release news and download links

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
I haven't finished downloading yet. Torrenting it. I'll update with links soon.

iknowledge

Broken In
This looks nice.... But it has a long way to go.... Compared to the other flavors in the market....

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the Ubuntu/Mint repo should offer the latest Catalyst 11.11 by now. I removed Fedora and I installed Mint. Only to realize that GNOME 3 won't work properly all because of an old driver in the repo. Stick to the open source AMD driver if you are using Mint or Ubuntu with GNOME 3.

Catalyst 11.11 in Fedora 16 works fine btw. :)

Moreover, i wasn't able to force the low power state in Mint while using the OSS driver. Didn't bother to fix it. Back to Arch now.

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I wish to know if anyone with nVidia 4X or 5X series card has been able to boot into Linux MInt 12.

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
Couldn't get the USB to boot at startup. Strange as Ubuntu, Arch and GParted all were booting just fine. Tried using win32diskmanager, unetbootin and the DVD x64 ISO. Anyway, downloading the x64 no codecs ISO now and will check again.

Removed Ubuntu using Gparted and GRUB got deleted so no access to Windows as of now. :lol: Noob mistake.

sygeek

Technomancer
Couldn't get the USB to boot at startup. Strange as Ubuntu, Arch and GParted all were booting just fine. Tried using win32diskmanager, unetbootin and the DVD x64 ISO. Anyway, downloading the x64 no codecs ISO now and will check again.

Removed Ubuntu using Gparted and GRUB got deleted so no access to Windows as of now. :lol: Noob mistake.
Windows Disk -> Advance tools -> CMD -> bootrec /rebuildbcd, bootrec/fixboot, bootrec /fixmbr

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
On a netbook with no optical drive. Otherwise that is what I would have done.

Anyway unetbootin worked with the no codecs ISO. So Lisa is up and running now.

visvo

Journeyman
Hi, i am trying to download linux mint 12 distro or live cd from its website but seems there site is down, can anybody please provide me the alternate link from where i can download live cd for the same. i am in urgent need of it.

debian

Broken In
For folks not satisfied with Shell or unity, and are unsure about Mate. Clem ( mint developer) has just released Cinnamom- a new shell for gnome 3 which looks very much like gnome-2. You can install it using the cinnamom-session package.

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
Cinnamon is good, although a little too windows-like.

AMD video drivers are a nightmare. Without installing them, the system was running smooth. After I installed the December drivers, all transitions became glitchy and all tooltips were italicised. Will install January version and see. If there is no improvement, I am doing a fresh install and abandoning AMD drivers forever.