Lisa - Linux Mint 12

Krow

Crowman
The new babe is coming to town real soon. Time for a separate thread.

For the uninitiated, Linux Mint is a Linux distribution (distro) based on the extremely popular distro - Ubuntu. It is very newbie-friendly and focuses on providing an out-of-the-box working environment with not much need for additional software or codecs.

The latest version adds the new Gnome 3 desktop with Mint Gnome Shell Extensions (MGSE). This allows users to feel familiar with the new, radical Gnome 3 desktop environment. One can fully disable MGSE to get a pure Gnome 3 experience, while those who prefer traditional desktops can enable all options and it will feel familiar.

Linux Mint 12 will release with a Gnome 3 edition, a MATE (a fork of Gnome 2.32) edition and the usual KDE, XFCE flavours. The Linux Mint Debian edition will also be updated (goes without saying).

Check out What's new in Lisa.

One thing I am really happy about is that the default search engine is now DuckDuckGo, which does not track any user information and is a fairly good Google alternative.

Many bugs were fixed in preparation for the final release:

• apturl is now fully functional
  • adding PPA repositories was fixed
  • MATE received a critical update to mate-session-manager (this bug prevented MATE to be started from the login screen for i386 users)
  • mintMenu was ported to MATE
  • packages now open with gdebi
  • mgse-menu received keyboard navigation and multiple bug fixes
  • mgse-windowlist was given a brand new look and now looks extremely similar to the Gnome 2 window list
  • mgse-bottompanel now makes it possible to switch between workspaces using the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+Alt+Arrow keys
  • Mint-Z now features silver-looking bottom panels, menu and window list which look similar to Mint 11, as well as a new theme called Mint-Z-Dark which features black components and looks like an improvement of the MGSE desktop from the RC release.
  • The ability to open directories as root was added to Gnome 3

A couple of screens:

*www.linuxmint.com/pictures/screenshots/lisa/alttab.png
Alt+tab

*www.linuxmint.com/pictures/screenshots/lisa/mintmenu.png
MGSE

Hats off to the Mint team for making the extra effort to keep the OS user-friendly.

You can download Lisa here: *linuxmint.com/download.php

Last edited:

nims11

BIOS Terminator
Mint always succeeds to create a user-friendly desktop and this time it will too. It is using GNOME 3 with MATE which makes it look and behave like GNOME 2.
here's a screeny
*www.linuxmint.com/tmp/blog/1851/linuxmint12-preview.png

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
This version is going to be a make or break. Donations are at an all time high, indicating increasing user base. If 12 is good, Mint will have scored a major point with its target audience.

Rahim

Married!
Thanks Krow for the info. Mint always shows how it needs to be done without alienating the userbase.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
I have a doubt about the rolling release of mint....suppose if i have linux mint 12 installed and if mint 13 is released over few months...then can i upgrade to it without lossing apps, data,etc?

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
I have a doubt about the rolling release of mint....suppose if i have linux mint 12 installed and if mint 13 is released over few months...then can i upgrade to it without lossing apps, data,etc?

You should be able to. I am not experienced in this but you should ask Arch users how it works. The only problem is that rolling distros may break with certain updates. It is not a regular occurrence but there is a chance.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
You should be able to. I am not experienced in this but you should ask Arch users how it works. The only problem is that rolling distros may break with certain updates. It is not a regular occurrence but there is a chance.

That's spot on. Mind you, the breakage is due to the latest and not so much tested packages pushed onto the repos rather than direct consequence of the rolling release model in itself.

@gopi, you're taking of LMDE are you? It doesn't have versions. If you're talking of versions, then it's the Linux Mint. Yeah you can upgrade without breakage but there's always the cases of failed upgrades so be prepared to fix problems IF they arise.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
That's spot on. Mind you, the breakage is due to the latest and not so much tested packages pushed onto the repos rather than direct consequence of the rolling release model in itself.

@gopi, you're taking of LMDE are you? It doesn't have versions. If you're talking of versions, then it's the Linux Mint. Yeah you can upgrade without breakage but there's always the cases of failed upgrades so be prepared to fix problems IF they arise.

So linux mint 11 is not a rolling edition?

My question was not about package breaking..

whether will i lose data if i upgrade from 10 to 11 or 11 to 12...so one..
ie should i do fresh install...like ubuntu

How to upgrade to a newer release - Linux Mint Community

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
So linux mint 11 is not a rolling edition?

My question was not about package breaking..

whether will i lose data if i upgrade from 10 to 11 or 11 to 12...so one..
ie should i do fresh install...like ubuntu

How to upgrade to a newer release - Linux Mint Community
Linux Mint Debian Edition or LMDE is a rolling release. Whereas Linux Mint is not.

Regarding data loss...I hope you are talking about Documents, Pics etc. There is a reason why most prefer having a separate /home partition if your root partition (the OS) gets screwed up.

Top Bottom