Lisa - Linux Mint 12

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Cinnamon is good, although a little too windows-like.

AMD video drivers are a nightmare. Without installing them, the system was running smooth. After I installed the December drivers, all transitions became glitchy and all tooltips were italicised. Will install January version and see. If there is no improvement, I am doing a fresh install and abandoning AMD drivers forever.

Remove the Catalyst driver and fall back to the Radeon (OSS) driver?

BTW Are you using Linux Mint Lisa? In that case, it uses Gnome Shell and AMD fails big time with GS. Fallback to OSS driver really.

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
How do I do that. Found some commands on Ubuntu forums and applied those. But some glitches still remained.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Wait are you running Catalyst right now or not? Try running amdcccle, if that runs Catalyst is still running.

I suppose you followed this?
Ubuntu Oneiric Installation Guide - cchtml.com

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
Yeah something like those commands. Right now I'm on win because of catalyst crapping out on lin. And those drivers are installed. Will try removing those drivers again.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Don't know. Catalyst worked fine with me on Fedora.

Tooltips were italicised in GNOME 3. yea.

mastervk

In the zone
does Mint support WUbi? Earlier i have installed Ubuntu using Wubi in windows. What is the minimum disk space required if installed using wubi?

If it has to be installed in separate partition what is the recommended size.

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
There is mint4win instead of Wubi. You can only use it with the CD ISO, so no codecs will be installed unless you download them. Disk space is flexible. I recommend 10 GB minimum.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
mint hangs during boot though my cdrw - live image...cdrw scratches causes this?...The cdrw drive just keeps blinking with blank bootscreen...or is it because i am using x64?

My laptop -Acer aspire 5738

mastervk

In the zone
I have downloaded DVD version ..If required i will install dual boot.. i already have win 7(earlier had dual boot with vista and ubuntu 10)...Is there any additional requirement for installing along with win 7?

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
Wait are you running Catalyst right now or not? Try running amdcccle, if that runs Catalyst is still running.

I suppose you followed this?
Ubuntu Oneiric Installation Guide - cchtml.com

Just ran amdcccle. It opens catalyst control centre. I am following the uninstall link you provided now.

Ok seems like uninstall worked. Apart from one glitchy screen at bootup, it looks ok. Tooltips are not italicised anymore.

Only problem now is right click does not work on my touchpad. Apart from that the install looks good. Oh and I can't automount NTFS drives at bootup either. :(

dead.night7

Journeyman
Hey Guys Please Help me here. I'm totally newbie to linux and want to try out Mint. I had several different questions on linux distro any, Ive tried Ubuntu, Fedora and several different distros but haven't tried Mint yet. Hence I installed it in a virtual machine just to try it out.
Did Several Research about the dual boot partitioning and file formats Linux used,

Just one question : Krow you had posted the Start menu bar on the first page of this thread and Oh my!! It was great had zoomed and saw programming in it and further went on to Download X64 bit Genome Torrent version and when Started it was just like Ubuntu 10.10 :( How could I get that taskbar which you posted?

Next I'm a programmer in C/C++ and JAVA, Using Netbeans and Ms. Visual Studio 2008. Is there any ways in which i can get all these programming facillities added in the Mint? or any other linux distro?

I am very keen in learning it and have learnt a quite Terminal Commands. So just that how could linux help me in developing programms. I have brains but I want an IDE to work with please Guide me or give a supporting link which I could follow :)

the AMD64 Bit GENOME torrent which I downloaded and unfortunately had the same old looks :(

nims11

BIOS Terminator
^^ First of all, welcome to Linux
While you are at the login screen, make sure you are selecting "Gnome" instead of MATE in the options. I think since you are installing under virtualbox, you might need to enable 3d accelaration in virtual machine settings as well.

Linux is a Developer's best friend
Netbeans is available under Linux. No Visual Studio though. There are good IDEs like Eclipse, netbeans and Codeblocks available for Linux.

Top Bottom