linux problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekgod

Journeyman
ok guys i got interested into trying linux and installed rh9 in a 10 gb partition. but it did'nt support ntfs partiotions of xp and so i recompiled the kerenel using the new kernel 2.6.7 following the thread *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5648. but now during boot-up, it shows [failed] when starting iptable sand says something like "ipchains not found". and when i rum "rpm -qa | grep *****" in the terminal, it says rpm database cant be accessed. can you help me on this? i cant dare to access the net from this. so i need to rebbot constantly whenever i need to read something from my windows partition.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
plz stick to windows if u play music,games,movies..
if u wanna become serious programmer in linux
then only give it a try...
i have very bad exps with red hat 6.2 , 7.0 ,8.0 ,9.0 as it doesnt support my sound card

tuxfan

Technomancer
I don't know the solution to your problem. But please do try Linux. Don't install Fedora Core 2 with XP. It has some known problems. Install PCQ Linux 2004 and install kernel 2.6. Or wait for Fedora Core 3. It should be out in a few months.

oldmonk

Broken In
If you recompiled the kernel then you should enable the iptables in the kernel config file.

Redhat 9 is seriously limited in capbility although it is very stable etc for buisness. For home use try suse or mandrake. Dont use kernel 2.6 because it has some issuse with repartitioning NTFS drives. Try with any 24. series kernel based distro and you should have a painless experience.

regards
kunal

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Ok lets see i hear red hat is "seriously limited " and i had to butt in, and here goes . Red hat is a FULL and comprensive distro and a good choice to learn the new OS. now on to the problem, Red hat comes along with iptables by default to check the ipchains / iptables see
/etc/init.d/iptables status
or
/etc/init.d/ipchains status
you will get a message like
Table: filter

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

if you find that iptables is not installed (ie you installed red hat from a 2 CD type) download iptables and give the command
rpm -Uvh iptables-1.2.9-1.0.i386.rpm
you have iptables installed and now the firwall can be configured. Also I feel a linux box can survive a few days without a firwall on the net (a personal thing no data to support this claim!).
regards pradeep

oldmonk

Broken In
hi pradeep,

Since you had to butt in i had to butt in too :)

Redhat is a solid distro, but:
Its stock kernel doesn't support NTFS. It doesn't play mp3's , video etc although its easy to make it.
Only supports ext2 and ext3 during the install. and only 2 gb fat partitions.

Besides that:

geekgod has iptables installed already. he was using it with his stock kernel. Read his post.

He compiled his own kernel , with ntfs support, but what about iptables support?

He can't access the rpm database ???, because of kernel 2.6??? maybe. Dont know
Lets try to help this guy no?
We all have our favourite distros. but whats the best for any particular need. something that already gives you all that you wnt by default rather than soemthing where you have to recompile just o access your NTFs partitions which mostl newbies would have!!

edit :

you are right about this- i have checked this with online port scanners like the one at grc.com::::
Also I feel a linux box can survive a few days without a firwall on the net (a personal thing no data to support this claim!).

OP
G

geekgod

Journeyman
hi, back after a long time. and thanks for so many replies. now bonzi, i use grub, and so i just used 'grubby' to add the new entry to my grub.conf file. also, as i said, i cant access the rpm database, neither can i execute any command related to iptables/ipchains as it shows an error to it. i have created another bootable image of the 2.4 kernel, but it also shows the same problem.and i saw during configuring that it does not have write support for ntfs partitions.
anyway, does it mean that there is something wrong with the compilation? because the ipchains package is very much there, it works fine with the default kernel of red hat. can u give me some advice?

BONZI

Journeyman
In any case check
root=/dev/xyz
is a working one(ie xyz should be the device that has your root.)

I will give an example of grub (dont copy and paste its just an example and may not work in your system)

Code:
title linux-2.6.x
       root(hd0,0)
       kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.x
       root=/dev/hxy

Check the root device(in your system). Though I am not sure.

Well Kernel 2.4 has no support for NTFS so this is not a problem of your configuration.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
I wonder what is the method you follow to build your kernel.! I worked with red hat 9 last year and did a lot of compilation using kernel 2.6.xx
and had no problems. In case it can help i am placing the url of my method (a page on my website) see if it of help
*people.csa.iisc.ernet.in/~pradeep/linux.htm
regards pradeep

oldmonk

Broken In
other people have had problems like yours- a google search shows some hints.

neither can i execute any command related to iptables/ipchains as it shows an error to it.

try :

IP tables support: It's a bit hidden, you may find it under
Device Drivers | Networking Support | IP tables support.

and
RPM:
After upgrading to 2.6.0-test4, RPM started hanging. Thankfully, I found the solution on a page about 2.6.0-test2, which is linked to in the links section.

rpmdb: unable to join the environment
error: db4 error(11) from dbenv->open: Resource temporarily unavailable
error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Resource temporarily unavailable (11)
error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
no packages

I managed to fix this by export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 If you are using a different shell, the equivalent will fix it too, of course :)

For a permanent fix, I added it to /etc/bashrc

*www.fearthecow.net/index.pl?section=guest&page=kernel

pradeep:
pinnacle pctv tuner patch
www.bytesex.org
It works for me

Sorry about the strong reply :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom