1. Hey Guest Did you know you can win an Honor 10 phone worth ₹33,000 and an additional ₹70,000 in paytm vouchers, just by replying to some threads and taking part in the discussions happening in the Honor Hub?

What are you waiting for? Start commenting and start winning! Remember to read the instructions posted here.

Dismiss Notice

linux problems.

Discussion in 'Open Source' started by geekgod, Aug 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geekgod

geekgod New Member

ok guys i got interested into trying linux and installed rh9 in a 10 gb partition. but it did'nt support ntfs partiotions of xp and so i recompiled the kerenel using the new kernel 2.6.7 following the thread http://www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5648. but now during boot-up, it shows [failed] when starting iptable sand says something like "ipchains not found". and when i rum "rpm -qa | grep *****" in the terminal, it says rpm database cant be accessed. can you help me on this? i cant dare to access the net from this. so i need to rebbot constantly whenever i need to read something from my windows partition.

2. esumitkumar

esumitkumar Call me Sumit

plz stick to windows if u play music,games,movies..
    if u wanna become serious programmer in linux
    then only give it a try...
    i have very bad exps with red hat 6.2 , 7.0 ,8.0 ,9.0 as it doesnt support my sound card

3. BONZI

BONZI New Member

Cant exactly remember when I found this. BTW did you give this in lilo
    Code:
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.xx 
    label=Linux2.6.xx 
    root=/dev/hda5

4. tuxfan

tuxfan New Member

I don't know the solution to your problem. But please do try Linux. Don't install Fedora Core 2 with XP. It has some known problems. Install PCQ Linux 2004 and install kernel 2.6. Or wait for Fedora Core 3. It should be out in a few months.

5. oldmonk

oldmonk New Member

If you recompiled the kernel then you should enable the iptables in the kernel config file.

Redhat 9 is seriously limited in capbility although it is very stable etc for buisness. For home use try suse or mandrake. Dont use kernel 2.6 because it has some issuse with repartitioning NTFS drives. Try with any 24. series kernel based distro and you should have a painless experience.

regards
    kunal

6. BONZI

BONZI New Member

I think hes not there

7. pradeep_chauhan

pradeep_chauhan New Member

Ok lets see i hear red hat is "seriously limited " and i had to butt in, and here goes . Red hat is a FULL and comprensive distro and a good choice to learn the new OS. now on to the problem, Red hat comes along with iptables by default to check the ipchains / iptables see
    /etc/init.d/iptables status
    or
    /etc/init.d/ipchains status
    you will get a message like
    Table: filter

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

if you find that iptables is not installed (ie you installed red hat from a 2 CD type) download iptables and give the command
    rpm -Uvh iptables-1.2.9-1.0.i386.rpm
    you have iptables installed and now the firwall can be configured. Also I feel a linux box can survive a few days without a firwall on the net (a personal thing no data to support this claim!).
    regards pradeep

8. oldmonk

oldmonk New Member

hi pradeep,

Since you had to butt in i had to butt in too :)

Redhat is a solid distro, but:
    Its stock kernel doesn't support NTFS. It doesn't play mp3's , video etc although its easy to make it.
    Only supports ext2 and ext3 during the install. and only 2 gb fat partitions.

Besides that:

geekgod has iptables installed already. he was using it with his stock kernel. Read his post.

He compiled his own kernel , with ntfs support, but what about iptables support?

He can't access the rpm database ???, because of kernel 2.6??? maybe. Dont know
    Lets try to help this guy no?
    We all have our favourite distros. but whats the best for any particular need. something that already gives you all that you wnt by default rather than soemthing where you have to recompile just o access your NTFs partitions which mostl newbies would have!!

edit :

you are right about this- i have checked this with online port scanners like the one at grc.com::::

9. OP
    OP
    geekgod

geekgod New Member

hi, back after a long time. and thanks for so many replies. now bonzi, i use grub, and so i just used 'grubby' to add the new entry to my grub.conf file. also, as i said, i cant access the rpm database, neither can i execute any command related to iptables/ipchains as it shows an error to it. i have created another bootable image of the 2.4 kernel, but it also shows the same problem.and i saw during configuring that it does not have write support for ntfs partitions.
    anyway, does it mean that there is something wrong with the compilation? because the ipchains package is very much there, it works fine with the default kernel of red hat. can u give me some advice?

10. BONZI

BONZI New Member

In any case check
    root=/dev/xyz
    is a working one(ie xyz should be the device that has your root.)

I will give an example of grub (dont copy and paste its just an example and may not work in your system)

Code:
    title linux-2.6.x
           root(hd0,0)
           kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.x
           root=/dev/hxy

Check the root device(in your system). Though I am not sure.

Well Kernel 2.4 has no support for NTFS so this is not a problem of your configuration.

11. pradeep_chauhan

I wonder what is the method you follow to build your kernel.! I worked with red hat 9 last year and did a lot of compilation using kernel 2.6.xx
    and had no problems. In case it can help i am placing the url of my method (a page on my website) see if it of help
    http://people.csa.iisc.ernet.in/~pradeep/linux.htm
    regards pradeep

12. BONZI

BONZI New Member

Good work pradeep. Explanations enough for a newbie

13. pradeep_chauhan

I would love to here what "oldmonk" thinks of it (after the rather strong reply of his)

14. oldmonk

oldmonk New Member

other people have had problems like yours- a google search shows some hints.

try :

from:http://www.linux-sxs.org/upgrading/migration26.html

and
    http://www.fearthecow.net/index.pl?section=guest&page=kernel

pradeep:
    pinnacle pctv tuner patch
    www.bytesex.org
    It works for me

Sorry about the strong reply :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.