linux mint !=ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
well,I thought linux mint is ubuntu+codecs bundled.it seems that many more changes are there in mint?anyone uses it here?linux mint aint ubuntu anymore? :?

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
well,what I read was that now the mint core developers are not syncing mint 100% with Ubuntu repositories.it is breaking sync with ubuntu regularly(source:ubuntuforums.org)

that means mint is simply NOT ubuntu+codecs+eyecandy
also Gnome in mint is a lil different than in Ubuntu for the better.

earlier there was this accusation against mint devels for putting a huge mint logo on firefox google search results :rolleyes:

I'd like to know anyone uses mint(leechers!)

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Well from Linux Mint's standpoint it definitely != Ubuntu.Main viewable differences are

Different Artwork
Linux Mint tools - Lets you configure some stuff easily
Linux Mint's Own Software Portal - One Click install of programs. Not to mention that they have their own repositories as well. There are certain programs which are available in Mint while not available in Ubuntu (preloaded and in Repositories)
Tools to install drivers - Like Envy (Ubuntu doesn't even support this) also wireless driver installation . Although this is kind of flaky last I heard.
Multimedia Codecs installed by default.
Program Menu quite different.
Provide for easier Migration from Windows

Basically the aim of Linux Mint is to provide a more out of the box experience than Ubuntu can provide. You can find that Mint also comes with Java and Flash preinstalled and with the necessary browser plugins as well. Further I think that Mints kernel is different from Ubuntu's . Also Linux mint is made on changes base don Ubuntu but rather the Linux Mint distro that they are working on.

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Lately Mint has been quietly climbing the distro ladder. It currently ranks at #4 on distrowatch. I am a Mint user and I must say It rocks!!! On my hardware it installed without a hitch, it cried hoarse till installed all the restricted drivers :). It comes bundled with all the DVD,MP3 & Flash plugins/codecs. It has good eye candy though it could have been better. Shares repos with Ubuntu too. What else you look for in a Distro????

By and large its 95% Ubuntu but once you switch from Ubuntu I don't see you going back unless you are emotionally attached to Canonical guys!

bharat_r

In the zone
I'm using Mint & I seem to like it better than ubuntu.
The mint menu is very useful. It's much more eye candy & gives easier access to programs compared to ubuntu.

Hey i need linuxmint alternate i386 cd.i cant find it so plzz help me guys.my gpu cant run live cds.I too wanna try mint.Used it at christmas time (daryna)and found it to be impressive. Does it have apt-get?is daryna still the latest version?

baccilus

Cyborg Agent
I have been using mint since the 2.x release. Well I think it is
Ubuntu+Much more; rather than
!=Ubuntu
Once you use it, you may never want to use any other distro. Although this is not always a good thing because then you remain a newbie for ever.
^^I don't think there is a mint alternate CD.

bharat_r

In the zone
@Sunny1211993
Daryna is still the latest. Version 5 which is named Elyssa is expected to be released in May.
and from the live cd u can select "start linux mint in safe graphics mode" .

cool_techie_tvm

Ambassador of Buzz
I am unable to install this OS. When i try to boot from the cd i get
Code:
isolinux: Disk error 01, AX=4280, drive 73
Did some research and even Clem ( Maintainer of Linux Mint ) is puzzled !!. Explanations range from enabling floppy drives to updating the bios.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
^it seems to me a bug.do u have ur dvd/cd drive sata one?
try to install without a cd:
*linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=iso+boot&t=3250

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
when i installed mint for first time, i thought it is a polished version of Ubuntu, but later i came to know that it came with more features and codecs out of the box and along with some bugs as well :lol: Till now, i'm unable to get my evdo working in mint :x

cool_techie_tvm

Ambassador of Buzz
^it seems to me a bug.do u have ur dvd/cd drive sata one?
try to install without a cd:
*linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?highlight=iso+boot&t=3250
No. I am on a non sata dvd drive. Thanks for the link, will be looking and trying the installation as mentioned. :)

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
^^^Erm... linuxmint!=Ubuntu seems true :D ;)
@cooltech:isolinux itself is corrupted I think,only devel should work on this :D

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
I'm a mint user and I'm using the old Celena. It's using the repos of Ubuntu's Feisty. Yes, there are some bugs, but on my system I didn't find any major ones. Only once did I encounter a problem, after installing numerous apps, so couldn't figure out what was the actual problem. During boot, it would come up with some error message(forgot) and none of the commands, except for exit would work. Then, the GUI would start up :p Once the X starts, there was no problem. Reinstalled and till now I don't face any problem :)

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
^it is weird that devels havent fixed this errors.googling reveals few others also faces the same error! :-|

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
As per Full Circle Magazine.
Similarities
1. They share alot software which means any software you have on ubuntu will most likely work on Mint
2. They both use Gnome.
3. They both offer the other Window environments as well.

Differences
1. Mint only supports 32 bit architecture while Ubuntu supports 64 bit.
2. Codeecs come installed in Mint by default while you have to install them in Ubuntu.
3. Some of the key features of Mint is its set of desktop applications to simplify the users experience. Examples are Mint Disk , MintWiFi , MintMenu and MintDesktop.

The conclusion in the magazine:
if you want an effortless distribution that handles multimedia and wireless out of box then Mint is the right distro for you. but if you need 64 bit or want a huge community support then Ubuntu is the better of the two.

Source : Full Circle Magazine Edition 11 Downloadable as PDF (5.1MB) @ *fullcirclemagazine.org/issue-11/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom