Linux is NOT Windows-must read

Discussion in 'Open Source' started by praka123, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. praka123

praka123 left this forum longback

In Linux Format Wiki..there's a nice article with above title Read it..
    [​IMG]This work is copyright and belongs to Dominic Humphries. It may be redistributed under a Creative Commons License: The URL http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm must supplied in attribution.

2. JGuru

JGuru Well-Known Member

Yes, Linux is not Windows, we all know that. Linux has come of age and more and
    more people are using it and like it. Like you said it offers more choice with vast
    applications to choose from, compared to Windows , which offers the pathetic
    WordPad and nothing else!! Linux has made great strides in the right direction.
    Linux is the way to go, free yourself from the Gates of Windows!!

3. mehulved

mehulved 18 Till I Die............

The article sounds so true. I have myself seen many windows users who are better than me as far as understanding of computers is concerned, fail to make a move over to linux. The main problem lies that they have learnt something for windows. Now, they don't want to unlearn it and start afresh for linux. They just want linux to do the transition for them. That's where they are falling into trouble.
    There are projects too, that are aimed at making them more comfortable and feel at home eg. XPde, though it isn't fully functional yet.
    But after all that, the core systems are completely different and as article states, linux will never be windows. And it should never be windows or else it will have same problems that windows have.

4. borg

borg New Member

I have read this article before. That article is a filthy piece of trash. First of all, the author speaks as if he owns Linux & as if he decides what Linux is & what it is not. I tell you, Linux is whatever it's users want it to be. There is more garbage in it, for example, he says that Linux is difficult to learn but once learnt it is easy to use!. he argues that Linux is not difficult to use, it is difficult to learn!. I mean what kind of an idiotic statement is that?. Even rocket science is not difficult once you have learned it. By that definition, nothing is difficult to use.

The author is nothing more than another Linux zealot wasting precious bandwidth & space. The objectivity in that article is '0'.

5. rohandhruva

rohandhruva New Member

Why the hell did you post the complete article here ! You could just post a link to that article !

6. mediator

mediator New Member

Well I have windows as secondary OS because of its superb gaming technology and because of the other softwares like Nokia phone manager etc whose alternative I havent found for Linux !!
    Neways I think for today My FC5 and Xp make a complete complementary OS to each other. Because of FC5 nobody meddles with my document files and programing files nemore. In case Xp crashes my files a safe and I copy other users files to FC5 partition and later restore them. All other users at my home are also happy with this as earlier I used to do a lot of programming and hacks which used to bring XP on its knees. FC5 rulezz!!

7. esumitkumar

esumitkumar Call me Sumit

Well after my initial crush on Linux 4 yrs ago.....I hate Linux completely.
    I installed Linux 20-25 times but It cudnt recognize Cmedia Sound card...after head banging on several forums I removed it.....

Really windows rocks..for gaming music entertainment life and is so user frndly.....if u r a geek or programmer then only go for Linux....

8. mehulved

I am neither a geek or a programmer. But, still linux feels easier to me than windows. Linux isn't for people who want readymade solutions, it is rather for people who want to take trouble of acheiving knowledge of what their OS contains of and how to customise it according to their wish.

9. JGuru

JGuru Well-Known Member

Hey I also use C-Media sound card. It works fine in Linux. You don't need to be a geek
    to use Linux. Just you have learn certain things anew in Linux. So after 15 to 20 days
    of usage & learning people will become familiar with it.

10. OP
    OP
    praka123

praka123 left this forum longback

I quoted the whole article as it makes sense with n00bs who are searching each n every apps they have in Windows in GNU/Linux.Also most ppl are not aware of what Free S/W is and what GPL stands for.Let's use GNOME/light wm's leave using QT/KDE which mimics a lot from M$ Windows.Let's leave Windows World;open your minds for free software.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  11. mehulved

Why are u so against KDE? Just because it looks similar to KDE? Look at the own article you have posted. One of the points mentioned is that OSS tries to make UI as friendly as possible without compromising on functionality. KDE does the same.
    If you are talking about the dual license adopted by QT/KDE. As, eddie had once pointed out to me, and very relevantly, even companies like MySQL adopt dual license - it's free for those who want to use it to make free applications and you have to pay if you want to make money using it. It is a very relevant and a good strategy. Noone in FLOSS community has ever gone against MySQL. Then why target KDE?
    KDE is as much a part of OSS as GNOME is.

12. nitish_mythology

nitish_mythology OSS Enthusiast!

I am new to Linux...
    Loved the Article!

13. mediator

mediator New Member

I think another Linux Vs windows debate has been launched here!! Neways both are good for me.....though extra care has to be taken for windows to keep it safe. Neways I like Gnome......coz its much more convenient then Kde!

14. kalpik

kalpik In Pursuit of "Happyness"

^^ Now you planning to start a KDE vs GNOME debate? :D Hehe.. I prefer KDE :p

15. vignesh

vignesh New Member

Neat...

16. aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade Console Junkie

Yeah neat. The article was really helpful.

Aditya

17. rahul_becks23

rahul_becks23 New Member

who'll read all that.

18. mak1012

mak1012 New Member

egjactly..
    he he he he he

19. rahul_becks23

rahul_becks23 New Member

20. Pathik

Pathik Google Bot